Tanukitsune

VGA and DVI monitors?

I've had this HD monitor since I've had my 360, and it's been giving me trouble since I got it, but not too much trouble, it's just that sometimes the computer can't tell it has 16:10 resolution and won't let me use 1680*1050...

I was usually able to fix it by messing with the resolutions until the latest update for the graphic card...

After getting through the usual "YES! I've updated the drivers" and all that nonsense, they finally suggested that I should get a DVI cable...

Which "kinda" worked....

I know have a completely different problem! :frusty:

If I have only the DVI cable plugged in the monitor tells me to plug in a cable, but if I insert both it just thinks it second monitor and it appears like an empty screen (I only see the wallpaper) and I've yet to figure out how to ONLY have DVI...:(

Has anybody got any advice on this subject?:erm:

For the initial problem I would have suggested trying different refresh rates. Many monitors only support certain resolutions at specific refresh rates, which is annoying.

Not sure about the other problem I'm afraid.

Sounds like your graphics card isn't outputting anything via DVI (really weird) or your monitor isn't switching over to the other input (can you do it manually?). Getting drivers for your monitor would probably help.

Just to clarify: You should only have a DVI lead going from your computer to your monitor. No other leads going to or from your PC or to monitor, right?

Also: Why did you mention your 360 at the beginning of your post?

Sounds like your graphics card isn't outputting anything via DVI (really weird) or your monitor isn't switching over to the other input (can you do it manually?). Getting drivers for your monitor would probably help.

Just to clarify: You should only have a DVI lead going from your computer to your monitor. No other leads going to or from your PC or to monitor, right?

Also: Why did you mention your 360 at the beginning of your post?

My monitor doesn't seem to have new drivers, I checked it still says 1.00.

What I did was unplug the VGA cable and plug the DVI one, and then plug both since the screen was black with an error message telling me to plug in a cable.

Were you doing all this while the computer was on? You may need to turn the computer off before you switch the cables for the graphics card to detect the change.

It seems to detect it, since I hear the sound effect Windows makes when some new hardware being plugged in.

Do you really think that turning it off and turning it on with only the DVI plugged it would work?:eek:

EDIT: Nope... It didn't work at al! ;(

Edited by Tanukitsune

My monitor doesn't seem to have new drivers, I checked it still says 1.00.

Well, by default Windows installs its own monitor driver... have you already installed a monitor driver made the monitor manufacturer?

Also, double check your graphic card settings, especially your dual monitor settings. It seems like a very weird problem, but it's probably made a lot harder by trying to diagnose it over a forum... Hmmm.

What model graphics card and monitor do you have?

It seems I can only mess with the dual monitor setting when there is a second monitor, or in this case the same monitor twice.

I have a Samsung Syncmaster 225MW connected to ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro...

I'm wondering I should be contact Samsung and not only ATI for a solution?

So you've definitely tried downloading an installing the following driver?

http://bit.ly/Tanukitsune

And you've definitely pressed the source button (on the monitor) to switch over to DVI input? (Not to be confused with the "Picture Mode".)

If so, your monitor might be broken. Have you got another one you can test the output of your graphics card from (so you can check to make sure your GC isn't broken)?

Do you really think that turning it off and turning it on with only the DVI plugged it would work?:eek:

EDIT: Nope... It didn't work at al! ;(

The main reason I suggested it is because it has made a difference for me in the past ^_^;;

Hopefully Thunderpeel's above suggestion is appropriate, and you just haven't spotted the source button