Sign in to follow this  
Scrobbs

'Pay what you want' model - 2DBoy sales data

Great piece, and some very interesting points of discussion, too.

Favourite comment from the Survey:

I won't even play this game (because it's crap) but I think the "pay what you want" is a great innitiative.

What World of Goo promotion? Why didn't anyone tell me? :(

The Internet should have told you, It told me!

It's still going on, though.

I won't even play this game (because it's crap) but I think the "pay what you want" is a great innitiative.

As someone else pointed out, there's diminishing returns with that. The more people use the "pay what you want" model the less effective it becomes.

Besides, it's only effective if you have enough a large enough fan base. World of Goo has been riding on a year worth of positive word of mouth, so it can work for them. Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails have a massive following, so it works for them. Imagine trying to sell a new game, from a new, unestablished company? I guarantee you that's an easy way to lose money.

That said, I did give WoG $5 this time around. I bought the game before at full price, for PC, but felt like supporting them again and grabbed the OSX version.

A friend's band did that recently for their recent album. Little known band etc...they made the most they ever have. Thousands.

I Come to Shanghai (Robert Ashley's band/album) did this (and is still doing it). I don't think his music was what people thought of when his name got tossed around, but then again, I don't really know how well his record is doing.

Anyone actually know?

It definitely got me to buy it.

Edit: On the topic of 2DBoy: I'm glad it worked out and is apparently still working out for them, 'cause I totally dig their game.

A friend's band did that recently for their recent album. Little known band etc...they made the most they ever have. Thousands.

Ok I am wrong then. But my point on diminishing returns still stands. :getmecoat

As someone else pointed out, there's diminishing returns with that. The more people use the "pay what you want" model the less effective it becomes.

Besides, it's only effective if you have enough a large enough fan base.

Very true. Having a limited time window for this after you've built a decent following is probably a great idea to soak up remaining potential sales, but becoming visible enough in the first place is really hard.

It's an interesting model, but only useful under certain circumstances. I could see freelance writers, photographers, musicians, etc. starving really quickly on it.

Very true. Having a limited time window for this after you've built a decent following is probably a great idea to soak up remaining potential sales, but becoming visible enough in the first place is really hard.

But isn't this a pretty good way to become visible in the first place? Lots of people who wouldn't have bought the game will buy it if they can get it really cheap. They may not be paying much, but if the alternative is them not buying it at all, you're still coming out ahead. I'd be a lot more willing to spend a couple of bucks to take a chance on an unknown than I would be to spend $20 (or whatever), and then if I like it, I'll be willing to pay more for their next one.

Maybe I'm being really naive, but I think most people who are really interested in your product and would have bought it at a normal retail price will still be willing to pay non-negligible amounts for it. Those people may still be paying less than MSRP, but on the other hand, thousands more people are being exposed to it. I don't know how well the money balances out, but even if it doesn't, I'd think the exposure might be worth it (especially if you're not already well-established) since you end up with a much larger pool of people who like your stuff and could potentially support your next project.

But isn't this a pretty good way to become visible in the first place? Lots of people who wouldn't have bought the game will buy it if they can get it really cheap.

Given the amount of free and really cheap iphone apps and games that are languishing in obscurity, probably not. Variable pricing only works as publicity to the extent that it's remarkable, and if everyone does it, that'll make it unremarkable.

I don't know... it might still work out. I wonder if it would help the sale of Ben and Dan's games, for example?

Interesting example, as I would have paid more than the 3-4 bucks they wanted. I really liked the first one I got for free. Okay, there is paypal, but when I actually buy a game like this, it feel's somehow better.

Do you think they might have had more success if they asked for money after giving the game to people? Or at least give some sort way for people to say "I only paid $0.01 but I think it's worth more so here's a few more dollars" after the fact, without going through the process of getting a new download and license.