Garple

Favorite Game, Best Game, Desert Island Game

I think for 2000/2001 (?) it holds up pretty dang well visually.. It's pretty low res, but other than that, I love it :grin:

I agree. That kind of pixel art is so beautiful to me. I imagine a great deal of tedious work goes into that and it makes me appreciate it so much more.

I think I will bring one of those hentai dating sim games and an anime girl body pillow.

There's just going to be so much masturbating.

animepillow.jpg

I'm sorry for replying to this topic.

Favorite:

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

Just based on the 10k+ hours spent playing this mo'fo it must be my favorite. In fact if I had internet at home I'd still be playing (and will be in December)! I'm part of a good ET community at bunker.aaxxss.com

Best:

umm.. TF2? In terms of pure fun in multiplayer fps'ing TF2 takes the cake

Desert Island:

The Ship... naturally :P

Edited by Floordje

Favorite

I’d have to go with Urban Terror for this one. On the first episode of the Idle Thumbs podcast Jake (I think) tells a story about a GameStop clerk that continues to buy games for current gen consoles, but continually finds himself returning to Counter Strike; a game that just sucks you in and you play with no real goal in mind, almost becoming trance like. That’s exactly how I am with Urban Terror. I am not at all into tactical first person shooters, and I’ve never even played Counter Strike. The tactical elements of Urban Terror are completely lost on me. Instead, I typically just jump onto a server and run around killing stuff. Sometimes I only use a knife, or the pistol. Sometimes I try to slide around as much as possible. Generally I just run around like an idiot (or Negtard) inventing little sub-games for myself. With all the maps and the generally laid back community, I just can’t seem to stay away. Being cross platform and free, even after moving to Linux as my primary OS years ago, it’s been installed on every PC or laptop… pretty much ever in my house (or at work when I can get away with it). I don’t even know why I continue to play it, but I couldn’t even fathom a guess at how many hours I’ve put into this game. For that reason alone, I’d have to call it my favorite.

As a side note, I nearly shat myself when I saw Urban Terror listed in the show notes for the Starcraft II podblast. Sweet giblets!

Best

After much (probably too much) deliberation, I’ve got to go with Diablo on this one. It’s almost a genre unto itself. It’s amazing that such a simple premise became such a fantastic game. Clicking the mouse on stuff, collecting gems and loot, more clicking clicking… sell some stuff… loot click… As the idle thumbs crew pointed out, it sounds so pointless when you talk about it out loud, and it’s certainly not the something you want to hold up as an example of games being a positive influence on your life. But the music, the environment, the loot mechanic, it all came together so well.

Desert Island

I suppose I’ll go with Civilization 4 as my desert island pick. As much as I’ve played this game, I only feel like I’ve scratched the surface of the underlying mechanics. In fact, I feel kid of stupid when I play. No mater how hard I try I eventually succumb to the temptation to just select options randomly with not forethought or planning. If I was stranded on an island with nothing to do but play, maybe I'd be able to play competently.

If my desert island had an internet connection though, I’d go with Urban Terror for my reasons listed above.

I think I will bring one of those hentai dating sim games and an anime girl body pillow.

There's just going to be so much masturbating.

animepillow.jpg

I'm sorry for replying to this topic.

They should replace the emergency flotation devices on planes with those pillows.

Favorite: Final Fantasy 9

Best: Bioshock

Island: Whatever the latest and greatest wrestling game might be.

Favorite: Bionic Commando - There are a lot of problems with the game, but it bears the distinction of being the first video game I ever mastered (or is it Master-D?). I love it despite how different from and arguably worse than its contemporaries it is. The action is less intense than Contra (especially due to the lives/continues system), the rocket launcher is the only weapon you should ever use, and the bosses are horribly designed.

Rearmed captured a lot of what was great about the original, and improved on a ton of my complaints, but it will never be as either as awesome or as special to me.

Best: Cave Story - The work of one man, acting alone. I haven't played something as lovingly crafted since Megaman 2. I have a hard time calling it my favorite even though I can describe it with a bullet list of my favorite things:

• Metroid-style exploration
  • Multiple endings and paths based in part on the upgrades you pursue
  • A weapon system where everything has a distinct and interesting use
  • Beautiful pixel art
  • One of the best and most memorable soundtracks I've heard since the SNES

It's simple enough that anyone can grasp, but as deep as any action game I've played. The hero has plenty of cool ways to move around, but nothing as demanding as Super Metroid's shinespark or walljump. The normal endgame boss gauntlet is demanding, but not unfair, and there's plenty of masochistic post-game content for masters of the game.

Desert Island: Diablo II (and Lord of Destruction) - I played the original Diablo when it was released, but only very recently tried the sequel (nearing completion of Act 1). Even having only scratched the surface, it's obvious that the huge variety of classes, skills, monsters, and loot could sustain me until rescue, insanity, or death. I'm loving playing the game with my skeleton army, and I can't wait to see all the different ways the game plays.

Also, golem de-summoning.

They should replace the emergency flotation devices on planes with those pillows.

Ah, wouldn't that be a laugh before you drown? I'm in full support.

Favourite Game: Ace Attorney 3

Best Game: Chrono Trigger

Desert Island Game: Pokemon Gold/Silver (or the remake)

"Favourite Game" is something of a moving target, and there are games I like playing regularly (like Wipeout HD, Infantry Online, Street Fighter) and there are games that I like having played (like Grim, MI 2, FFX and so on).

I went with one of the "having played" types here, just because these kinds of games get into your conciousness in a way that justfies the title: "favourite" (warm feelings, memories), rather than say, Puyo Puyo which gets into your conciousness in a way that makes you see combo chains behind your eyes when you're trying to get to sleep.