Garple

Favorite Game, Best Game, Desert Island Game

Point conceded. I will therefor be wearing a towel, otherwise naked, covered in shit, and singing the opening level song from Lumines right up until whoever is in charge of these things gets fed up with me, puts a bullet in my head, and dumps me overboard.

I get the feeling a lot of people's first reaction upon being a ship, covered in shit or not would be to grab the first person they can, stare into their eyes and ask if it's still 'the year of the PS3'.

Barring that, whether or not Valve released Ep3 yet.

Barring that, whether or not Valve released Ep3 yet.

And then when you hear that it has not you dive back into the ocean and start swimming back to the island.

This thread is inherently stupid, I mean did you see how messed up Tom Hanks' beachball got - my Tatung Einstein wouldn't last the first week! I guess I could make a raft out of it or tie myself to it and throw it off a cliff...

A particular type of hell ;(

'Hell is other people - on XBox-Live.' - some french faggot

(Sorry)

Favourite: Planescape Torment – Never got so attached to a game or its characters. Also some amazingly creative and good writing – and a big lot of good writing. Played it only once, because I am scared that another playthrough would diminish the ideal in my head.

Best: World of Goo – A wonderful, perfectly executed and fun game. By basically two guys.

Island: That's tough. Mmmmmh, does clicking on the random-wiki-article-button counts as 'game'? No? But it is, you can win and lose. Okay. Maybe Geometry Wars – just because I can see myself playing it forever – and getting crazier by the minute. The only game I experienced 'the flow' with. I quitted playing it several times, because after some intense sessions I started to see it, even though I wasn't playing it and/or had my eyes closed and/or slept.

Both campaigns? Did I miss an entire Halo 3 campaign!?

Halo 3 ODST, it's technically an expansion pack.

Halo 3 ODST, it's technically an expansion pack.

Oh SNAP! I didn't realize I was watching an episode of Mr. Tech Gets Technical .

Sorry to break the chain here.

Favourite: I feel I may get a lot of people thinking I'm crazy for this, but Halo 2 is almost definitely my favourite game. I play exclusively split-screen and would play it for 4-5 days straight whenever my friend who lives quite far came over and stayed at my house for a week. Countless hilarious anecdotes from that game, it was always fun to jump back into for an hour or two with a friend. I do all that with Halo 3 now, but for some reason it's not quite as good as it was.

I'd give Age of Empires 2 an honorable mention, but that seems to go against the spirit of the question. Heh.

Best: This is a real tough one, so tough that I actually don't think I can answer it. A number of games immediately rush to mind such as Civ 4, Half-Life 2 and Planescape: Torment, but it would take me a week of fasting and meditation to come up with an answer I would feel comfortable stating and I really enjoy food and entertainment.

Desert Island: Civilization IV (Fall From Heaven II as well, if mods are allowed). There's just something about that game which eats up time without making you feel like you're wasting it. Also, I can always play a 4-5 hour session of Civilization IV and then just do nothing for a couple of hours without becoming bored. That coupled with it's near endless replayability would make it the perfect game for a month or two where it's my only source of entertainment.

Favourite: I feel I may get a lot of people thinking I'm crazy for this,

Who cares what anybody thinks, it's your own favorite game that's being asked for. Kudos to you for having a unique answer (literally: it's unique in that no one else has picked it).

Favorite:

I almost went with TIE Fighter, or Fallout 3, or Fallout 1, or Total Annihilation, or Dark Forces 2, or X-Wing Alliance ...

... but I'm going to go with the original Rome: Total War. I wasted an entire summer on RTW. There are so many ways to play it, between all the factions and the RPG-lite royal family system. It had just the right level of arcadiness to keep me interested - the addons and subsequent games all seem a bit bloated to me compared to the original.

Best:

I am going to put in a brave vote for Bubble Bobble (the arcade version, not (any) of the ports). That game is pure brilliance. The fact that the platforming and attacks are based dynamically around bubbles, which have physics that react to each other and also the wind of the level ... the incredibly complex bonus system ... the 99 completely different levels ... the demanding (but not impossible) difficulty curve ... it's just a really creative and beautifully refined game.

Desert Island:

Folks tend to default to puzzle games here, but I am the type to be easily psyched out by any game where the central goal is a high score. I am going with Elder Scrolls: Morrowind here. I spent (probably) 100+ hours in that game in college, and it got me through a miserable Midwest winter. I know this sounds ridiculous, but getting up at dawn in Balmora & watching the sunrise while picking some alchemy ingredients and wandering around was a wonderful thing to do when it was dark at 4 and 20º (not counting wind chill) outside.

Sad story: I once had a sweet helmet collection on the railing of the balcony of my sweet mansion. I also had a sweet pillow fort in my sweet office. Then I screwed up my mods and the next time I loaded up my mansion was gone.

Folks tend to default to puzzle games here, but I am the type to be easily psyched out by any game where the central goal is a high score. I am going with Elder Scrolls: Morrowind here. I spent (probably) 100+ hours in that game in college, and it got me through a miserable Midwest winter. I know this sounds ridiculous, but getting up at dawn in Balmora & watching the sunrise while picking some alchemy ingredients and wandering around was a wonderful thing to do when it was dark at 4 and 20º (not counting wind chill) outside.

Sad story: I once had a sweet helmet collection on the railing of the balcony of my sweet mansion. I also had a sweet pillow fort in my sweet office. Then I screwed up my mods and the next time I loaded up my mansion was gone.

I had that sweet ass house mod with the basement that had like everything and even a small quest line that gave you a Mary Poppins umbrella that made you fly. I really loved that mod the most. Little jars with pictures of each ingredient, a hall of armor with mannequins for showing off your look. and a bunch of tools for levelling your skills. I'm still surprised that there isn't an equivalent or more house mods for Oblivion and Fallout 3. Pimping your house is one of the funnest things to do in those games.

But yeah, I'm with you with the pillow fort (take that, shipwreck!) and all the house stuff. Except I squatted in that one mansion in Balmora where the house Hlaalu guy was murdered and I couldn't do anything to his corpse so i had to leave him laying in the middle of the living room. oh well! Collecting every standing lamp you see to make your rooms brighter was also great fun. Gave me way more of a sense of ownership than buying some deed or theme pack ever did.

I'm still surprised that there isn't an equivalent or more house mods for Oblivion and Fallout 3. Pimping your house is one of the funnest things to do in those games.

I had the Green Uvirith mod, if I remember correctly - it had multiple levels, an armory, and a nice view. I still liked pimping my house in Fallout 3 - my shelves have a nice display of various unique items. I think that deciding how and where to stow all your shit counts a lot as 'emergent gameplay' in its own weird way.

Collecting every standing lamp you see to make your rooms brighter was also great fun. Gave me way more of a sense of ownership than buying some deed or theme pack ever did.

I'm right there with you. I stole every blue lamp I could find and lit my office / pillowfort a vivid blue. I wish they'd kept the dynamic lights for Oblivion and Fallout 3, but I guess they didn't jive with the physics engine or something.

OK. I saw this marry, boff, kill for video games topic and I felt compelled to post, but then I felt apprehension because I knew that I would be naming a bunch of Nintendo stuff and everyone else here seems to be naming these big epic games that I don't have access to being a person who uses only white computer electronics at home (ie. - Mac, Wii, DS). Then I stopped being stupid and reassured myself that its my own personal list and I don't need to impress anybody, so here goes.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - This is, and will be, my favorite game for some time. It successfully outdoes its predecessor in every way. The only thing it hasn't managed to do yet is be out for 7 years and keep me playing up until its sequel, but I can see it staying fun forever in the event that there is not sequel. There was a brief instant when I felt a touch of dissappointment with this game. I first popped it in and I noted that it was a little slower than Melee. That was it. Its been nothing but happy play sessions ever since, and everytime I take a break to finish some other game, I slip right back into this game like an awesome pair of jeans. Now for the most profound thing of all that I think anyone has ever said about this game: I fucking love the online multiplayer. Its perfect. Wrap your brains around that.

Metroid: Zero Mission - This is the best game ever made. Fuck Super Metroid. There, I said it. Go back and play that, then play this. Super Metroid doesn't feel right anymore. Its too floaty and slow. Zero Mission is a sweet little race car, built for speed and full of tricky alternate routes. The only thing it lacks is the ability to grind a sweet ghost while doing a time attack run, but I'll forgive it that shortcoming, it was made before sweet ghost grinding became popular.

F-Zero GX - This is the game that I would play while trapped on a deserted island. There are insane levels of depth in this game that I still have not tapped. I only have the skill to beat all four cups in the Master Class. A deserted island would be a perfect place for me to get good at this game. In case you didn't know, its fucking hard. Story mode continues to make me its bitch to this day, and I still keep going back for more, happily. Oh, and the music will never get old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66knsZyFV_A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66knsZyFV_A

Edited by Chuckpebble
I made some stuff bold.

Metroid: Zero Mission - This is the best game ever made. Fuck Super Metroid. There, I said it. Go back and play that, then play this. Super Metroid doesn't feel right anymore. Its too floaty and slow. Zero Mission is a sweet little race car, built for speed and full of tricky alternate routes. The only thing it lacks is the ability to grind a sweet ghost while doing a time attack run, but I'll forgive it that shortcoming, it was made before sweet ghost grinding became popular.

This is actually sort of how I felt after playing it. To be honest, really, I'd say that a couple notches down my list are probably Metroid Fusion as favorite game and Metroid: Zero Mission as best game. I had a lot of fun with Fusion as a sort of rekindling of interest in the franchise, then Zero Mission brought it home with a really solid, polished experience that I didn't nearly have as much "fun" with but certainly a ton of satisfaction.

All great games. I don't feel quite the same way as you about SSBB, but that may be that I played the shit out of Melee with my friends in High School and as Brawl came out when we were all in Uni, we didn't have as much time for late nights sitting up playing the game. For a month or so we did, but then moved on to other things. Board games, mostly.

Zero Mission I love to death, and I'm honestly a little ashamed I didn't think of the Metroid franchise for best game ever. I still stand by my choice, but I could definitely be persuaded with not a whole lot of effort.

F Zero GX is bloody rad, but far too frustrating for me to want it on the desert island. Just not something I'd be good at dealing with. I'd be so frustrated all the time. Still, if you're looking for a huge rush, playing that game is a pretty quick way to get it.

It's damn hard to pick THE best/favourite, so I'm going to pick two for each category -- not that that's much easier -- and you can toss a coin and imagine I picked just one.

Favourite: Grim Fandango / Outcast

Best: Half-Life 2 / Outcast

Desert Island: Morrowind (with the construction kit) / Baldur's Gate 2 (with the expansion)

Favorite:

Hmm well.. maybe I'm still in a 'recently played it' haze but...Trine.

Honestly. I do have the Thumbs to thank for finding it.

It mostly gets the favorite sticker because of the art... I was in love with that game visually so much... My favorite childhood games were the Spryo's, that might have something to do with it. Also, I really loved the story, it had a fairytale simplicity that just was what I wanted out of it.

I normally play multiplayer stuff, but I prefered playing this one solo.

I dont know... It made me happy. Happier than any game I've played in the last couple years. :P

Best:

System Shock 2. Being kind of a late gamer (started playing games more when I was in high school- didnt have an older brother influence handing me a controller when I was little) the graphics are hard for me to get past... but it is still a great game.. A really true and proper graphical remake would make it complete for me personally... Unfortunately I dont think such a thing would get executed properly ;(

Still a really excellent game.

Desert Island:

Zeus, Master of Olympus. I could easily put as all three categories, but I decided to change it up.

screenshot2.jpg

Nuff said.

It is exactly that actually. A city builder by the same people as Caesar and Pharaoh but with the ancient greek theme / mythology I was really into as a kid :P

But yeah, I cant tell if you guys were kidding? Nostalgia goggles cloud my vision quite a bit with that one.

I think for 2000/2001 (?) it holds up pretty dang well visually.. It's pretty low res, but other than that, I love it :grin:

Also, that picture is from the expansion Poseidon, I had just grabbed it off of the first page on google images and didnt notice until now.. whoops. They pretty much look the same except different building types/ roof colors...

But yeah, I cant tell if you guys were kidding?

I see a game that looks like it handles Greek Mythology in a somewhat non-clumsy way and I'm down like James Brown.

(Does anyone know of other games that do this?) (P.P.S. You are not allowed to say "God of War").