Garple

Favorite Game, Best Game, Desert Island Game

Favorite: Zelda Link's Awakening

Aside from being the first game I ever beat, it has just never gotten old for me. I replay it every couple of years and still love it as much as I did when I was 8.

Best: Half Life 2

Less revolutionary than its older brother perhaps, but it managed to top it in every way. It's brilliantly paced, just challenging enough, and balances story and gameplay perfectly.

Desert Island: Rock Band 2 w/DLC (internet), Lumines (no internet)

Give me a full instrument set with a bunch of DLC for Rock Band and I will simply never get tired of that game. If I feel like I'm playing too much guitar, I'll switch to drums. Too much of that? Vocals. It's the DLC really that would keep this alive. After a year of the same songs I'm ready for more, but with weekly releases I'll never want to kill myself from repetition. If I don't have an internet connection, Lumines feels like the natural choice for me. I already keep playing that game endlessly whenever I turn it on, so I don't see why I wouldn't just do that forever.

Desert Island: Rock Band 2 w/DLC (internet), Lumines (no internet)

Give me a full instrument set with a bunch of DLC for Rock Band and I will simply never get tired of that game. If I feel like I'm playing too much guitar, I'll switch to drums. Too much of that? Vocals.

And if you get bored of all of them you'd have enough time that you could train to play all of them at once.

You mock, but I have actually completed several songs on guitar, bass, and vocals at the same time. Guitar and Bass were on medium with the guitar hung twice as long on the strap with the bass above it, vocals on hard. Don't mix drinking with rhythm games, kids.

BALLISTICS!!! That's been driving me crazy! With all the talk last month over Grin shutting down I was trying really hard to remember the racing game they made back in 2001-ish. That and Rearmed are the only two games of theirs I played, but I really liked both. Thanks for that, man. It's a weird thing to have been tormenting me, but you've taken it off my mind now.

Favorite: Grim Fandango - Still the greatest use of Video game storytelling of all time.

Best: Grim Fandango

Desert Island: If I have a second person with me on the island to play with me, I'd have to go with Toejam and Earl. With the random levels, each time you play it's a new challenge, and some of those pesky earthlings never get tiresome.

If I'm all alone,… I'll have to think about it longer.

You mock, but I have actually completed several songs on guitar, bass, and vocals at the same time. Guitar and Bass were on medium with the guitar hung twice as long on the strap with the bass above it, vocals on hard. Don't mix drinking with rhythm games, kids.

I think that requires some sort of video from you... Also, Lumines?! As in the 360 XBLA game? (Is this another title I've written off too soon?)

I think that requires some sort of video from you... Also, Lumines?! As in the 360 XBLA game? (Is this another title I've written off too soon?)

Usually I can sink a couple dozen hours into any puzzle game I try, but Lumines got boring to me in under an hour. But I know people who absolutely love it and have sunk dozens if not hundreds of hours into it.

I think Lumines just sort of clicks with you or it doesn't.

This is hard.

Favorite: Probably Grim Fandango. Possibly Phoenix Wright.

Best: Shadow of the Colossus.

Island: Umm...Civ3? Super Mario World? Something infinitely re-playable, that's for sure.

Favorite game: Quake series, especially Quake 2 and more specifically the Action Quake 2 mod.

That's the single game I've played the most in my life and if there were active servers still up in the US I'd still play it. Ludicrous twitch gameplay, rewards skill above everything else. If you never played it, think CS types of guns in crazy maps at burlesque speeds.

Best game: Portal

They managed to distill everything that's good in game design in a tight package. Gameplay, storytelling, presentation... all top notch.

Desert Island game: Team Fortress 2

That's the game that even after 300 hours playing it, I never got tired of it. And with new and free content still coming out, I'll probably play it for a very long while.

New category, Best Value: The Orange Box

Call me a Valve whore, but having HL2, Ep1 and 2, Portal AND TF2 in the same box for a measly 40 bucks... that's freaking INSANE. Maybe that's the reason for all the nerd rage regarding the announcement of L4D2...

Favorite Game: Rome: Total War. This was the first ever game that I was anticipating and bought day of release. Before that, I had just wandered into a Target and looked at the PC game shelves. Medieval, the game before it, had captured my imagination and Rome did even more so. The music, the artwork, the strategy, and further development of the campaign map were all amazing. It probably helped that I was taking Classical Greek at the time in college.

The other serious contender here would be Civ III multiplayer, if I could go back in time to 2001-2003 in perpetuity. The mp ladder community was classy and every match was challenging and rewarding.

Best Game: Portal. Fantastic puzzles mixed with an understated, simple story that is told brilliantly. The most important part is that the story is integrated into the game levels seamlessly. When the 2nd half of the game began,

after you escape the fire

my mind was blown. The only negative about the game is that Portal doesn't replay well, since it's so puzzle-based.

Desert Island Game: Chess without a doubt. Simplicity combined with depth, variability of strategy, and replayability. Unmatched. Civ 4 is also great and replayable, but it's not as consistently fun and variable. I often feel shoehorned into certain moves and micro-strategies throughout the game.

Favourite: No One Lives Forever 2. It expanded on what the first NOLF accomplished and upped the silliness factor quite a bit. Cate Archer needs make a come-back.

Best: Toss up between The Longest Journey and Half-Life. Probably for the stories/storytelling involved in both. I just felt really engrossed and involved in both of the worlds created by the games (although Crow's cutscene got annoying after a while).

Desert Island: Age of Kings or UT99.

Favorite game: Probably Chu-lip because it is the most mind bogglingly bizarre game concept ever. Also, it's absolutely hilarious.

Best game: Hmm.. If I allow my decision to be influenced by nostalgia, Chrono Trigger. I was absolutely floored by that game when I was but a wee niblet. My recent efforts to replay it haven't really worked out though. I've become impatient in my old age. :oldman:

Desert island game: Probably the Sims. Although I get bored with it pretty quickly under normal circumstances, making tiny people and ruining their lives/making them awesome might stave off insanity induced by my social isolation preventing me from becoming a depraved husk of a human and eating my rescuers.

Oh god, are we trying to stave off insanity here? I was working under the assumption I would never be rescued. If I spent 3 years with nothing but Lumines and a ship showed up, I can only imagine the state I'd be in.

Rescuers: "Sir! We found a survivor of the crash from '09. Amazing he lasted this long with nothing but a PSP..."

Me (towel draped over my shoulders, really huge beard. Otherwise, likely naked): "Shine and shine and shine and shine and shine and shine and shine and shine..."

Me (towel draped over my shoulders, really huge beard. Otherwise, likely naked)

Why would you be naked?! Did you suddenly lose all your clothes during the crash?!

If you were alone on a deserted island for several years, would you wear the same damn outfit you came ashore in for the rest of your life? Hell with that. I assumed the towel was given to me by whomever rescued me, but aside from that concession to decency, I would have long since given up on clothing. Who's gonna shame me when there's no one else around, anyway?

Hey now, nothing wrong with nudity. If you're covered in shit on the other hand, you've got some different issues to deal with than just being on your own. When I'm alone, I'll sometimes not bother putting on clothes to walk around the apartment. I will not however walk around covered in shit. You gotta draw the line somewhere.

Point conceded. I will therefor be wearing a towel, otherwise naked, covered in shit, and singing the opening level song from Lumines right up until whoever is in charge of these things gets fed up with me, puts a bullet in my head, and dumps me overboard.

Man, this thread just gave me a weird idea:

So you're stuck on a desert island. You don't know where you are, but somehow you've got 360 Live... Can you imagine trying to get help?

Me: "No, look, seriously. I'm stuck on a desert island. I need help!"

XBL: "Sure whatever, douchebag. Who's up for a deathmatch?"

Me: "Really! Can somebody PLEASE get help? Just do a search online, you'll see that a boat went missing a few weeks ago! I was on it!"

XBL: "Somebody kick this fucking faggot!"

A particular type of hell ;(

Edited by ThunderPeel2001