Garple

Favorite Game, Best Game, Desert Island Game

There doesn't seem to be a thread on this.

The distinctions between the three categories:

Favorite: Simply the game you enjoy more than any other...based on whatever criteria you want to use.

Best: The game that you think could most easily be argued for as the most skillfully made (or whatever).

Desert Island: The one game you could play for the rest of your life. Note: This doesn't mean you have to play this game constantly forever; it just means that you can never play any video game ever again except this one.

Please explain the reasoning behind your choices.

This one will require much meditation on my part...I'll be in my thinking pod...

Fair enough.

Also: No one is allowed to say... "I can't pick just one game etc..." The hypothetical premise is...if you HAD to pick...what would you choose.

Favorite - Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Best - Team Fortress 2

Desert Island - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection

I sorta just did that off the top of my head, giving the most time (about a minute) to the desert island choice. Maybe I'll revise later, but I thought there might be some value to off the cuff choices.

Favorite Game: Resident Evil: REmake. Running through the mansion killing zombies and avoiding crimson heads never gets old. It's my favorite game of forever. (Runner up Fallout 3)

Best Game: I feel like this is more of a moving line. The best game ever will change. I guess right now (to the chagrin of many people) I would argue its still GTA4, for seamlessly combining so many elements in a beautiful open world.

Desert Island Game: Star Wars Chess. Infinite replayability, impossible to master and I'll still have Vader soundbites to laugh at in my solitary madness.

Favorite - Tie Fighter. I borrowed the discs from a buddy and only knew one of the 30 or so responses you needed to be able to prove you owned the game. It is a testament to my love of this game that I would sit there every day after school and input this one reponse until it worked.

Best - Portal. I'm continually impressed with how well designed that game is.

Desert Island - Civ 4. Maybe I'll finally have time to get good at it.

Favorite Game: Baldur's Gate II. Other RPG's might have better writing (Planescape: Torment) or better combat systems (Temple of Elemental Evil) but BG2 is the most complete and all-around engrossing RPG I've ever played.

Best Game: A tossup between X-Com: UFO Defense and Star Control 2.

Desert Island Game: Civilization 4. I think there's a case to be made for Civ 4 as objectively the best choice, regardless of one's gaming tastes. No matter what you pick you're going to exploit all there is to exploit someday and get damn sick of it. I can't think of a game in which there are more ways to challenge oneself and have completely different experiences. And it will keep you cognitively and logically engaged in the process.

Favorite: Little Big Adventure. It has a large and interesting world to explore, it builds upon a nice and evolving mystery/quest.

Best: Either Anachronox or Super Mario World. Anachronox has quite some flaws, but the whole concept of the game is quite well designed.

Desert Island: this must be one of the Bethesda RPGs, so either Morrowind, Fallout 3 or Oblivion. I think I'm going with Morrowind on this one because it's has the largest world and most variation and possibilities.

Favorite: Company of Heroes, RTSs are my favorite genre, and this is the best RTS yet made. Sadly I cannot play it now since I currently lack access to a computer capable of running it.

Best: This is kinda a toss up between Portal, and Shadow of the Colossus, both are extremely immersive experiences with narratives uniquely suited to the interactive medium.

Desert Island: Sim City 4, I was originally thinking Company of Heroes for this spot, but if I'm only going to have one game I want something that I can play for both long and short intervals. Hopefully the Desert Island will have the Rush Hour expansion pack because I'd hate to think of all the organs that could be flying around my city unstolen.

Favorite - Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Oblivion is your favourite game of all time?? Wow. I really must be missing something, I had no idea it was THAT good.

Favorite: Tribes, no question. The community, the high speed feel of the game, and the fact that it was the first online only FPS made for some amazing moments in my gaming history. I so miss this game. A good Tribes duel was like watching a ballet.

Best: Civ 4. The game is so refined, the UI is intuitive, and you never ever feel like you're working against the system. Top that with such a blank slate and "do whatever you want" gameplay makes for the most polished game ever.

Desert Island: Hearts of Iron 3. So much to do, so many different ways to do it. Combine that with the most intense level of micro-management, and I think I could get more gameplay out of this than any other game.

but I thought there might be some value to off the cuff choices.

Absolutely. I think there's definitely something to be said for one's gut feeling when it comes to this sort of question. Maybe more so in regard to favorite game than best...but, nevertheless.

Favorite: Planescape Torment. Ask me on another day and I might say Star Control 2.

Best: Portal, probably

Desert Island: Some latter version of Pro Evo Soccer with player improvement. I have it for PSP and that's the one game that's a constant. I just find the whole building-the-perfect-team thing incredibly addicting, plus it keeps going and going because your star players get old and retire and you have to scout out the new up and comers etc. Like pokemon crack for soccer fans or something.

Not sure about which version of the gameplay model I prefer as the differences are pretty minor (if any) on the PSP. For Desert Island, purposes, I'd probably want a non-handheld version tho.

Favourite: Skies of Arcadia, just love it, it all clicks.

Best: Civ 4, ridiculously well polished.

Dessert Island: Halo 3 (complete both campaigns all of the multiplayer), only if I have Internet, because the fun of all of these games is enough.

Expect either of the latter 2 to change to forza 3.

Favorite: Maniac Mansion. Monkey Island sort of solidified the idea that a graphical adventure should have a single, rigid storyline, but I really like the different possibilities offered with the characters you can choose to control. I would like to see an adventure like this again.

Best: Thief 2. The level design was perfect and allowed for hours of sneakery.

Desert Island: Chain Factor. I didn't think I liked web-based puzzle games. I still don't. But I played this for a LONG time.

Best Game: I feel like this is more of a moving line. The best game ever will change.

Desert Island Game: Star Wars Chess. Infinite replayability, impossible to master and I'll still have Vader soundbites to laugh at in my solitary madness

I agree (mostly). the best game can be dethroned at any time. However, I don't think it's inevitable. Obviously, this is as subjective as anything, but I think a lot depends on how important you consider the underlying technology behind games in regard to their quality. Sure...open non-linear gameplay is now possible to an astounding degree...but none of those games (save, maybe, Fallout 3 or Fable II) come close to replicating the magic and wonderment I felt upon first playing in the world of A Link to the Past. That was the first game I ever played that made me feel like I was actually in a place rather than just manipulating a cartoon with a remote control. You can certainly argue that GTA IV is a better world than Link to the Past and I respect that argument...but you see my point, right? Games are about more than the technical possibilities. It's also about the genius of being able to figure out exactly what to do within the confines of the tech (see, Super Mario Bros. 3) and, although this is extremely rare, there are some games that do something that cannot simply be bested by a better version or sequel coming along. At least, in my opinion.

Favorite - Tie Fighter. I borrowed the discs from a buddy and only knew one of the 30 or so responses you needed to be able to prove you owned the game. It is a testament to my love of this game that I would sit there every day after school and input this one reponse until it worked.

Excellent :). I remember thinking my dad was a genius because he could get games running in MS-Dos. The whole dedication story of yours reminds me of blowing into NES cartridges. Ah, back in the day, when starting the game was a game. Earl Weaver Baseball where you had to turn that wheel that was shaped and designed like a baseball (albeit, flat) to see all the numbers of the game's copy protection key...anyone?

Do I have internet connection in the desert island?

Sure, but you can't use it as a loophole...like trying to send a message to the outside world and get off the island. Dwight.

Oblivion is your favourite game of all time?? Wow. I really must be missing something,

Yes. You're missing Jon Cole's brain inside of your head. If you had that...you'd totally get it.

Favourite: Half-Life 2. The setting, the story, the characters... Half-Life 2 got me more excited about video games than I had been in years previous.

Best: Super Mario 3. I know a lot of people... a LOT of people point out Super Mario 64 as a landmark game, but for me Super Mario 3 both refined the best things about Mario platformers and brought in completely new concepts in a great example of how video game sequels can display innovation and genuine improvements over the originals, unlike other media.

Desert Island: Sonic the Hedgehog 2. It's the one game I never get tired of playing. SEGA forever!

Favorite: Grim Fandango. My high water mark for art, story, music, setting, characters, dialogue, "cool factor" and level of polish are all set with this game. I don't think I've ever played a "cooler" game than this.

Best: Half-Life. I was really into Doom and Quake and all the clones but Half-Life completely changed the genre. it not only injected story but storytelling and completely changes the structure and elevates the purpose of the genre itself. I remember reading an interview where Gabe Newell was asked how many "levels" the game had. his answer was "well, we're not really doing it that way but if you're asking how many .bsp files are in the game, it's about a hundred." Completely unheard of.

Desert Island: GTA: San Andreas. In my opinion, this is the pinnacle of the series. The mix between epic, character, freedom, and humor hit my palate just right here where other entries taste just a bit off to me. In particular, I love their ability to distill landmarks, atmosphere, music, geography, and artwork of a place perfectly to small areas that evoke much larger ones. Every street has something going on but there are vast expanses of country to ride your hog through with Freebird blazing if you want to. I've already played through 100% three or four times so I can see myself revisiting this from here to eternity.

Dessert Island: Halo 3 (complete both campaigns all of the multiplayer), only if I have Internet, because the fun of all of these games is enough.

Both campaigns? Did I miss an entire Halo 3 campaign!?

Oblivion is your favourite game of all time?? Wow. I really must be missing something, I had no idea it was THAT good.

Well, when you look back at a game that you've played through half-a-dozen times, sunk hundreds of hours into, and played to virtual completion, it's hard not to say that the game is a favorite. I've liked a lot of other games quite a bit, but Oblivion is just one of those games that I can just pop into the drive and play at almost any time.

But that's the point of the favorite category, eh? To each his own.

Favorite: There's a lot in this list, but I'll pick the most recent in this decade which is Mass Effect. Love it so much I'm on a media boycott of Mass Effect 2, I literally know nothing about it except what breaks through my sphere of silence, something about no having my krogan and some aweful goth chick.

Best: Team Fortress 2. I can't stop playing it, I literally uninstall it twice a month when I have to go do something else, it's really terrible. Love the art so much, the humor, everything from day one was so polished.

Desert Island: I'll assume I don't have internet so it'll have to be Civ 4, it's one of the singleplayer games I can just play over and over again.

But I may have to reconsider, think about it, your all alone on a desert island with one game. If I hole up in my apartment for 2 days on the weekend and only play one game it starts to creep up in my dreams and psychee(sp?)

I really believe it would be bad news if all I've done is play civ 4 every day for years all alone on an island I'd have gone crazy and started actually building temples and totems to myself, proclaiming I was a demi-god ruler of the island. I'd fashion a cape out of leaves and a crown out of coconuts... it would probably be pretty dangerous if anyone tried to rescue me.

But that's the point of the favorite category, eh? To each his own.

Absolutely, I didn't mean to criticize, I was just genuinely surprised the game was good enough to feature in anyone's "best game ever" category. Clearly I wrote it off too quickly.

It just occurred to me that when it comes to desert island games Lost in Blue might be the best choice. I don't know if it's fun or not, but it could hold vital survival information.

Desert Island: I'll assume I don't have internet so it'll have to be Civ 4, it's one of the singleplayer games I can just play over and over again.

Your island does have internet, it's just if you use it to call for help they stick the balloon on you.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Ffr1U7KMY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Ffr1U7KMY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

But I may have to reconsider, think about it, your all alone on a desert island with one game. If I hole up in my apartment for 2 days on the weekend and only play one game it starts to creep up in my dreams and psychee(sp?)

I really believe it would be bad news if all I've done is play civ 4 every day for years all alone on an island I'd have gone crazy and started actually building temples and totems to myself, proclaiming I was a demi-god ruler of the island. I'd fashion a cape out of leaves and a crown out of coconuts... it would probably be pretty dangerous if anyone tried to rescue me.

Just because that's the only game you have on the desert island doesn't mean you have to play it every day. Although I don't see why you wouldn't crown yourself god/king of the island anyways.