Patters

Why some guy I know is going to pirate CoD 6 (and why I hate the average gamer)

Also, I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that the people who are decrying pirates don't own a single pirated item. One MP3, one movie, one old game. Or didn't used to when they were younger... which, judging by the way these folks speak, I'm guessing they're pretty young?

Most of the games I played on PC early in life involved my dad trading floppy disks with his friends at work and photocopying all the manuals for everyone just in case of copy protection.

I guess you could say that made me a good video game consumer in the end.

Actually I was born in Canada, but I left when I was little...

It's just when I hear people saying "games are luxury items", I hear "I'm willing to pay 200$ for a game"....:blink:

Fair enough then. My apologies for assuming things about you.

And yeah, I pirated like hell in Junior High School. Haven't downloaded since getting a job when I was 16 though. It was lack of means (and the fact that all my friends were pirating too, making it seem normal) mostly. I consider it a phase I grew out of. Amazing to me how many people just didn't.

As others have said, 'Luxury' has multiple meanings, depending on context. If you don't believe me, check out Wiktionary:

luxury (plural luxuries)

1. very wealthy and comfortable surroundings.

2. something desirable but expensive.

3. something very pleasant but not really needed in life.

#1 & #2 are what Tanukitsune is referring to; #3 is the definition that n0wak and others were using.

Yes, thank you. Although in the case of Activision, I do believe #2 applies to what I said.

The only reason I'll download something these days is because it's too old/rare to buy new. I'm proud to say that _legally_ download all my music thanks to my Zune Pass and light subscription to eMusic.

Of course, when I was a kid there was no copyright protection on music, and very little on games... and I had no money. (I almost feel sorry for kids today in the same way I felt sorry for the console kids of my own generation -- I had a veracious appetite for games back then, certainly more than was even slightly affordable to the average parent!)

Actually I was born in Canada, but I left when I was little...

It's just when I hear people saying "games are luxury items", I hear "I'm willing to pay 200$ for a game"....:blink:

Well, when you consider the price of the console and everything needed to play a game that's not exactly wrong. I saw Call of Duty 4 (4, not even the new one) for sale today at 60 euros. 60 EUROS. This might be within all of our first world reach, but in the grand scheme of things... it's pretty damn luxurious.

#firstworldproblems

Honestly though, while I've always bought and will continue to support game companies it isn't hard to see just why people do the shit they do. Up here in Canada, after taxes a game runs just shy of 80 bucks. $80 for a game, seriously? Then we have MS with their "special MS endorsed accessories," when major nelson announced that MS was releasing an xbox update that would pretty much kill any non MS made hard drives more than half of those people were pointlessly dick sucking while totally ignoring the scummy as fuck pricing practices followed by MS. Paying 160 bucks for a 2.5" sata drive in a special packaging, 140 bucks when it came out for a wireless adapter, 65 bucks for a bluetooth headset? What the hell people?

I've considered modding my 360 many times, but I won't do it just out of being stubborn about ethics. Even though I'm on xbox #9 in about 4 years, obviously an impeccable product worth the price tag. Some people can't afford gaming given the current price tags, and I'm way past caring who pirates and who doesn't at this point given just how long it's been happening. And at the end, the "heh. console gamers." argument has been done to death. I play on the 360 simply because most of my friends use it.

Well, that's the reason why I'm not considering to buy a XBox360, way too much lock-in.

Then we have MS with their "special MS endorsed accessories," when major nelson announced that MS was releasing an xbox update that would pretty much kill any non MS made hard drives more

Memory sticks, not hard drives. (But I appreciate your points.)