Scrobbs

Infinity Ward - MW2 news

Your friend seems to just be staying the course.

Not really. It was never a conscious move; we just realized at some point that he didn't actually have any Activision games.

So, I read something that people who bought the Steam version of this are not allowed to play it for couple of days yet? The retail boxed version comes out today right?

Weird, weird, weird.

So, I read something that people who bought the Steam version of this are not allowed to play it for couple of days yet? The retail boxed version comes out today right?

Weird, weird, weird.

Yeah I don't get that either, does anyone know why that is the case?

Yeah I don't get that either, does anyone know why that is the case?

Probably has something to do with Activision being massive cunts. That and they probably want you to pop to the shops and buy it there rather than online.

Activision charged £42 for Call of Duty 4 on release over STEAM on release day and beyond. Make of that what you will but for me it suggests they are just skimming off the top for those digital PC gamers who prefer to play legally as opposed to downloading the illegal copy.

Is anyone here actually playing the game? I'm curious to know if the terrorist mission is as horrible as it looks, or if there's context to justify it.

So, has anybody played the game so we can finally talk about what's actually in there ?

ugh thats depressing. A bit of a disappointment after last years "Most Disgusting Game of The Year" award went to the superfun Gears of War 2, this years contest seems like such a downer. And while I agree that sounds disgusting, I did fuck a demon last night in Dragon Age Origins and that's pretty disgusting too. So maybe Activision wont win that one!

But seriously that was a really good article, thank you.

That is pretty horrible, people are comparing it to Schindler's List, which would be a fair point if you didn't have to kill innocent people. With the opinion that it is art is often considered null (in this case I believe it is) if the observer is partaking (such as the Police mentioned). Overall I think it's a bold but disgusting move for IW to make this and release it.

Note: haven't played COD 6 yet.

That is pretty horrible, people are comparing it to Schindler's List

Holy shit really? I thought Call of Duty 2 Aushcwitz guard level was more along those lines. Seriously fuck those people. This is leaving such a bad taste in my mouth.

Holy shit really? I thought Call of Duty 2 Aushcwitz guard level was more along those lines. Seriously fuck those people. This is leaving such a bad taste in my mouth.

yeah, one quote is

Grow up. It's like asking why Shindler's List was even filmed. We know that 6 million Jews were murdered and there was a book that it was based off of so why did we need to watch an entire film of them getting murdered in the most appalling ways? Did it need to be visualized in a graphic and realistic manner? Maybe or maybe not but it did evoke an emotion of disgust or sympathy.

The same could be said of a myriad of other pieces of media, even art. You can call MW2 art if you want or you can chastise me for even considering it, I don't care.

As for people who say that they did this for sales, please. If anything it would hinder sales from concerned parents (if any of those exist nowadays) who would be purchasing it for their child.

And the FAGS thing was funny. I think it was actually amazing that the South Park episode revolving around the word "fag" and how it's lost it's connection to gays and is instead being used as just an insult that doesn't necessarily involve sexual orientation was aired shortly after it.

I think it was a risk that IW took and I respect them for that.

Jesus, has anyone on these forums actually PLAYED or will play MW2 or is this thread going to be all about reporting what other people felt about the game ?:shifty:

Come on, I'm tired of all this "being offended through someone else".:(

I have not played the game. However I imagine this is what I will write later on after I have played it and I will alter if anything changes.

"Welp, just finished MW2. I killed a lot of dudes. Big things happened while I was doing that. That was a fun 4-5 hours!"

Jesus, has anyone on these forums actually PLAYED or will play MW2 or is this thread going to be all about reporting what other people felt about the game ?:shifty:

I will play it, just have more important things to do than try and find a copy of a game at a sainsbury's for the moment.

I've stuck it on my rental list.

Charlie Brooker has written about it; http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/nov/09/modern-warfare-2-game-review

I have it. I've not played much of it yet.

I must be on the level before the airport sequence. I find it quite interesting that there is a menu that pops up when you first start the game, telling you that there will be a 'potentially offensive' stage in the single player mode, and it gives you the opportunity to be reminded that you can skip it. So they're definitely aware that it is a potentialy-offensive sequence, and have on some level admitted that it is not an integral part of the experience.

I've read at least one piece, however, that stresses that it is important to how the CoD games are showing to a younger generation that war is hellish. Not sure I entirely agree with their reasoning, but an interesting take nonetheless.

I have played some of the multiplayer, too. I think the level-up, micro-achievements system they have is a work of compelling genius. But it's quite a joyless (relatively similar to CoD4 and 5) slog, for the most part. And the little WWE-macho chugging guitar riffs they throw in when you level up make me feel embarrassed.

(I also attended the huge UK launch for it, which was absurd and OTT beyond anyone's sense of taste. Quite fitting, I suppose.)

Cheat / Hack Free Games: The biggest benefit of using IWnet by far is the fact that you donв€™t have to worry about joining a server full of aim-bots, wallhacks, or cheaters. Or relying on the server admin of the server to constantly be monitoring, banning, and policing it. Modern Warfare 2 on PC allows us to control the quality of the game much more than ever before as well as utilizing the VAC (Valve-Anti-Cheat) system to keep

Rated "H" for Hacking lol

So I played the game through and I liked it. Multiplayer is awesome, beautiful enviorments. The reviews are out.

But that one mission? I don't know why the game calls it "potentially offensive" because it is offensive. It's supposed to be. What IW claims it is trying to accomplish with that mission is entirely dependent on you being offended by what is going on. And it works. For maybe ten seconds. And then the mission becomes an utter failure. I was giving IW the benefit of the doubt on this but it just didn't work.

It is one of the few instance of gameplay where being in the first person completely removed me from the narrative. I still believe IW could have done something amazing with this, but the pressure to do what IW wants you to does not come from the narrative - where it has to to be affecting - but from mission mechanics. I was aware that I was on rails to a degree that even surpassed Operation Wolf, and soon enough everything they made me feel in those first few seconds vanished. Can I not shoot? No, the NPCs won't move foward if I don't clear the area. Can I try to stop them? No, they kill me and before I restart the game tells me I did not "prove" myself. The second half of the mission becomes a standard COD mission which I played at such an emotional distance that it was completely pointless. If they had found a way to do this like they did the execution in COD4 - where you can look around but are not really in control - I think it would have worked better.

I admire their ambitions, but I feel like they never thought past generating that initial sense of "Oh shit, that was fucked up."