Fuzzy Lobster

Starter Shooters

I would agree with the Halo recommendations, Halo 2 got me back into shooters. Previous to that I hadn't played much since Doom and Terminator 2029!

Think about story and setting, too. I liked both in the Halo universe, though some people find it goofy. I tend not to be hugely interested in FPS games with more "realistic" settings, like GRAW or Call of Duty. I'm sure there are plenty of people who skew completely the other way.

It's mostly about shooting at enemies that rush at you, in most FPS games now playing it like Serious Sam game will get you killed... I'm still trying to get used to getting out of the line of fire of fire instead of standing in the middle of the hallway trying to mow down the enemies...

You'd be surprised how often that actually works well. Games quite often don't account for you doing exactly that.

Another vote for NOLF or NOLF2. Cate Archer might be a good way for her to connect to the game.

My mom used to love Wolf3d way back when (the 2.5D and switch pressing of DOOM was too much for her though). She more recently played Elebits and enjoyed that and it was a pretty good intro to the more modern control style of FPS games (one hand aims the other moves). I think she'd probably like Portal...should have her play that sometime...but I'm not sure if putting Steam on her computer would be a source of confusion or not.