Tanukitsune

Torchlight?

alchy.png

I just downloaded the demo because of that amazing lynx.

I guess I will buy the full version too if I feel the wizards are accurately represented in the game.

I just downloaded the demo because of that amazing lynx.

I guess I will buy the full version too if I feel the wizards are accurately represented in the game.

For "wizard", read "alchemist." Thing is, there will be a full on wizard class pretty soon thanks to the modding community, I should think. I'm looking forward to a whole bunch of class options.

For "wizard", read "alchemist." Thing is, there will be a full on wizard class pretty soon thanks to the modding community, I should think. I'm looking forward to a whole bunch of class options.
That is one thing I'd love to see someone make. Just bought the game but don't have time to give it a go yet, I'll be playing it later today. I'll probably start with the alchemist, though I think the Vanquisher looks cool too.

That is one thing I'd love to see someone make. Just bought the game but don't have time to give it a go yet, I'll be playing it later today. I'll probably start with the alchemist, though I think the Vanquisher looks cool too.

Yup, the cool thing about the relatively short play time is that I'll actually have time to roll a few characters and get stuck in. I love the "shared stash" idea, I'm already collecting stuff for my next character.

Thing is, stats do skew items to one class or another, but not in any way you can't fix; I'm having a lot of fun messing around with character specs.

Amazing game. I've completed 4 levels now and some side quests. Collecting all that loot is fun.

I tried turning off the music like Chris suggested and indeed the ambient sound is quite good.

Amazing game. I've completed 4 levels now and some side quests. Collecting all that loot is fun.

I tried turning off the music like Chris suggested and indeed the ambient sound is quite good.

Playing the game while listening to Idle Thumbs backlog is just pure fun.

Okay, so I've been playing the shit out of this game on Steam and I've finally decided to play around with the mod tools. Which are... nowhere to be found. Am I just an idiot and not seeing them?

grrr... I want to play this game...

have to wait till sunday when (hopefully) my internet works

Ok, the thumbs were right, it's like a pretty basic version of Diablo, meaning, it's Diablo. The loot is pretty constant, which is cool, but I think it could be somewhere between Diablo 2 and where its at right now to hit a good balance of loot; maybe they will be a mod for it some time.

But forgive me, because this is small and kind of crappy on my part, but playing the game, getting cool stuff, hearing the music, all my mind goes to every 3 seconds "I wish this looked like Diablo"

A big part of games for me is art and atmosphere, and the art in Torchlight is well executed and it's one of the few games that does have a certain mood to it, but it's jsut a tad on the goofy side for me. All of this is fine, other then since D3's announcement I've gone back to Diablo 1 and 2 and all I can think about lately is wanting a game that takes that asthethic and just goes balls out with it.

I love the old DnD idea Diablo had of light radius and just this dark, grim world to bring lightness to.

With that said, since it's an open source engine and they are giving away the tools, assets aside, I wonder how hard it would be for a rendering programer to go in and add some post effects and such to tweak that.

Also, thats not to say I am looking for that from Torchlight, it's just I'm really looking for a game with that, it would just be fun to have an omage map in Torchlight. I have a feeling I will be thinking the same thing with Diablo 3, as much as I really dig it's art direction, I'll have the same reaction most likely, but maybe it will be closer to the source.

They said the mod tools will be released a week after the game. For free, on their website.

http://www.torchlightgame.com/gamenews/2009/10/22/level-editor-a-free-separate-download/

Okay cool, thanks. I was confused because on the Runic forums people are already modding the game with proprietary tools, must be because they coded them themselves. Nice.

I played a little bit of the demo and I want to like the thing because the combat is fun, but I am afraid that the same thing that annoyed me with Diablo 2 will annoy me again: will all the missions boil down to KILL THE EVIL IN <A PLACE>? I stopped playing Diablo 2 when as the fourth mission the NPC told me to go KILL THE EVIL IN THE GRAVEYARD, right after she had me KILL THE EVIL OUTSIDE OF TOWN, KILL THE EVIL IN THE DUNGEON, and KILL THE EVIL IN THE FOREST. Is it not enough that all game stories are banal and manichean as it is? Why do they not try at all?

Why do they not try at all?

Well, i think that's just a different game all together, I mean this genre is hack and slash, so it'd be hard to tell you to go negotiate the evil to relocating somewhere else.

But, honestly, I'd love to see an adventure style game in this kind of universe where you couldn't possibly kill a legion of evil, but would have to use your wits to solve the crisis from town to town.

I especially like the ability to send your pet to town to sell loot.

I keep imagining the pet rushing to town, unloading various weapons from its... fur? And then negotiating a good price with a merchant. But yeah it's pretty great.

Well, i think that's just a different game all together, I mean this genre is hack and slash, so it'd be hard to tell you to go negotiate the evil to relocating somewhere else.

But, honestly, I'd love to see an adventure style game in this kind of universe where you couldn't possibly kill a legion of evil, but would have to use your wits to solve the crisis from town to town.

I don't have a problem with plowing through things that are attacking me, but telling me in the exact words that I am supposed to go out there and KILL THE EVIL is conspicuously devoid of justification. Why am I killing things? Because them things are evil? Is that really the best they have to offer me as far as story goes?

Ah, I see your point now, and yes, they are pure evil, that's why you kill them.

But seriously, I think that's a lot of the problem with pretty much everything in the world, including real life. I don't mind the black and white contrast with out much thought in a few things though, Diablo being one of them and torchlight now.

I'm thinking about trying out to add quests/systems where the quests aren't just different ways of "kill that guy".

Maybe an option to spare the life of the monster for a reward? Maybe he will give you something, a kill, an item or will give you another pet and so on. What if you could gain Fame from doing monster quests or stuff like that, with whole new skill sets?

Of course that's a lot of work and I doubt I'll have the skills to do it- modeling, texturing, cgi... I don't know if you could even do that in the editor. We'll see. If nothing else, I can give ideas to people who can do shit like that :D

Or how about a campaign where you play a monster going UP the dungeons killing humans, trying to destroy Torchlight?

I'm thinking about trying out to add quests/systems where the quests aren't just different ways of "kill that guy".

Maybe an option to spare the life of the monster for a reward? Maybe he will give you something, a kill, an item or will give you another pet and so on. What if you could gain Fame from doing monster quests or stuff like that, with whole new skill sets?

Of course that's a lot of work and I doubt I'll have the skills to do it- modeling, texturing, cgi... I don't know if you could even do that in the editor. We'll see. If nothing else, I can give ideas to people who can do shit like that :D

Or how about a campaign where you play a monster going UP the dungeons killing humans, trying to destroy Torchlight?

It all sounds like fun to me. I'm definitely going to fool around with the editor, though I also lack the expertise to do anything cool. Thing is, if the assets are there, it might be surprising how much you can do!

So, I just delved to the deepest dungeon and killed the evil that was corrupting all the ember.

There's an entirely new set of dungeons that I can now explore and new monster killing/item finding quests to fulfill. Looks like this is gonna take much more than 10 hours... which is awesome.

Also, I was poking around the Runic forums, and it turns out the Sword of Adam is a tribute to one of the game's artists and the in-jokes/catch phrases he commonly used. Although the "Wizaaaards" thing might still be a reference to Thumbs.

Edited by Lord Korax

Hmmm... A quick look at the Runic forums tells me that a bunch of people are having the same problem as me with the game loading a "failed game creation" message on first launch attempt and then launching in a windowed 640x480 mode. They say to turn off Anti-Aliasing, but that's doing dick all for me. At least there are mod posts saying they're working on it, and it's not preventing me from playing the game, but it is certainly a pain in the ass. Oh well. Serves me right for playing a PC game I guess.

Runic are working on a patch apparently, and have thus delayed releasing the editor. I can run Torchlight on Windows 7 but there is a weird load time when I launch the game and there are some longer load times in other places. So hopefully you can play the game without any problems early next week.

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3001

How on Earth do you unsummon the Golem!? I just got the new one and I want to try it out! ;(

The Beam Golem doesn't replace the normal Golem. You can have both golems following you at the same time.

Funny I could swear it didn't work before... then again many spells seems unresponsive... I'm hoping it's because I'm watching "Halloweeny" movies on DVD and that's hogging up the resources...;(

I love this game, it is great, takes everything Diablo II did and subtracted a ton of its faults. Although it probably won't be as great, a good title for 20 bucks.