Tanukitsune

Torchlight?

I played a little bit. Looks pretty fun, but yeah Normal seems too easy in the beginning at least. I have only seen my health bar drop a bit below the maximum once.

I'm playing an Alchemist with a bad-ass hammer. My cat can cast frost bolts and group healing spells.

alchy.png

Also:

wizardz.png

Hmmm... A quick look at the Runic forums tells me that a bunch of people are having the same problem as me with the game loading a "failed game creation" message on first launch attempt and then launching in a windowed 640x480 mode. They say to turn off Anti-Aliasing, but that's doing dick all for me. At least there are mod posts saying they're working on it, and it's not preventing me from playing the game, but it is certainly a pain in the ass. Oh well. Serves me right for playing a PC game I guess.

it is certainly a pain in the ass. Oh well. Serves me right for playing a PC game I guess.

(ign.com/forums) :grin:

It doesn't have anything to do with anything but ...

for people doing pro/amateur dev, it should be known that Torchlight uses the awesome open-source 3D engine Ogre, which just turned awesomer by shifting to the MIT license and thus becoming completely free and void of any restraint in terms of source modification!

There is a unique one handed sword in this game called the Sword of Adam that I found on my alchemist. The caption underneath says "The Wizaaard" and whenever you swing it it makes sound effects as if a person was saying them with one of them being "The Wizaaaard". When I get home from work I'll grab a screenshot and maybe make a short youtube of it in action but it elevated this game from great to awesome for me the moment I identified it.

(ign.com/forums) :grin:

Should I have put a "/sarcasm" in there? That said, it's definitely the kind of frustration that I was relieved to put behind me when I mostly switched over to consoles. I realize it's unavoidable given the crazy number of permutations of technology that one can have in the PC gaming world, but it still sucks to be caught on the wrong side of it. I'm just glad this isn't a gamebreaker like Nick's game-ending bug in Empire. Since switching back over to mostly PC gaming of late (in no small part due to the Thumbs' enthusiasm revealing to me how much I missed the good ol' days of 2004 when I was constantly tinkering with my PC) I've been astonishingly bug free. This is the first time it's bitten me in the ass and it brings back some painful memories of the darker side of PC games.

Anyway, still good. That Sword of Adam thing sounds amazing. Any idea if it is a scripted drop? Will anyone be able to find it, or is it randomized and you were simply incredibly lucky?

I will not will not will not buy this. I still have ages to go in Borderlands goddammit. The last thing I need is two diablo-likes when dragon age is about to come out.

I had never even heard of this game till mentioned on Idle Thumbs and really just now actually looked in to what it even is, but watching that Giant Bomb quick look and reading up on it, I'm definitely gonna consider getting it. The only reason I don't right away is I have so much to finish already.

OK so I didn't remember the item correctly and its just Wizaaaaards! but it's still just as awesome to me! It's just a random drop I found lieing on the ground. It's one of those items that has a golden glow around it at the end of a scroll type dungeon rather than one that is dropped by a monster.

torchlightwizaaaaards.th.jpg

Youtube video is uploading right now so I'll post again when its ready!

I had never even heard of this game till mentioned on Idle Thumbs and really just now actually looked in to what it even is, but watching that Giant Bomb quick look and reading up on it, I'm definitely gonna consider getting it. The only reason I don't right away is I have so much to finish already.

Well, word on the street is that the average playtime for this game 10 hours or less. That's pretty digestible, as far as I'm concerned, so I see myself doing a quick and dirty normal difficulty playthrough after I finish my first Borderlands run.

I will not will not will not buy this. I still have ages to go in Borderlands goddammit. The last thing I need is two diablo-likes when dragon age is about to come out.

I am in exactly your position, except I went ahead and got Torchlight.

It's awesome.

Well, word on the street is that the average playtime for this game 10 hours or less. That's pretty digestible, as far as I'm concerned, so I see myself doing a quick and dirty normal difficulty playthrough after I finish my first Borderlands run.

I'm around 10 hours in, and from the spacing of the previous boss fights, it looks like maybe another hour or so. I have been doing a lot of the "side quest" dungeons, though, so 10 hours seems about right.

EDIT (for some reason, I can't edit my posts or make new topics, so this will have to do): Sorry McDunkin, hadn't realised you already posted it.

Dude. That is awesome. I wonder how that came about.

That is pretty damn awesome. Although I sort of wish they had used direct audio from Idle Thumbs, would have been amazing.

I am just getting to the garden quests for Syl, with the 3 portals. This game is amazingly well done for only taking 11 months to make- the first thing that stood out for me is how good the pathfinding is, which is one of the things that tend to get screwy in randomly-generated dungeon games like this. My character and pet never gets hung up on geometry or stuck on a wall.

I also appreciate the multilayer nature of many of the dungeons, where you can see areas below the one you are on even if you never go there. It lends the world a bit more verisimilitude and sparks the imagination, making me wonder what these places looked like before the corruption took over.

Really? My pet gets stuck so often. It wasn't a big deal early on but now I really need him to take and do some damage and this way I just lose time of his transformation.

Really? My pet gets stuck so often. It wasn't a big deal early on but now I really need him to take and do some damage and this way I just lose time of his transformation.

Weird! I haven't had that problem.

Yeah, some of the enemy path finding is weird too. They would get stuck instead of move 5 steps to the left and use the stairs. This way they just sit there while I take them down. It happened to me with the first boss, Brink, he got to the second floor, i moved directly below him and he would just stand there.

Not complaining, though, those are minor glitches and the rest of the pure awesomeness that is the game make it up easily.