Jake

Idle Thumbs 47: The Lord of the Donk

I don't even think it's that. There seems to be a peculiar breed of internet commenter that is unable to distinguish between their own opinion, someone else's and facts.

Fixed.

And yeah, LucasForums is cool. I did the design for that site ages ago (still usin' it!) and am an administrator there to this day. One time I paid my rent from an advertising revenue check from LFNetwork. That was, again, years ago, though.

Dude, so friended!

I'm almost surprised none of them have signed up here to trash talk the 'cast.

Here I'll simulate.

Wtf is dis shit! dis neck breakin guy dont know nuthin! borderlands is da best game eva! of course he thought it suk he play on pc! every1 know its best on xbox i mean how u not play fps w/ controller?! mouse is for facebook only not for shootin! gamestop 4 lyfe!

Oh god someone call a doctor, I think I killed my brain typing that.

Here I'll simulate.

Wtf is dis shit! dis neck breakin guy dont know nuthin! borderlands is da best game eva! of course he thought it suk he play on pc! every1 know its best on xbox i mean how u not play fps w/ controller?! mouse is for facebook only not for shootin! gamestop 4 lyfe!

Oh god someone call a doctor, I think I killed my brain typing that.

Having read the entire thread on the gbxforums (for fun!), I gotta object here! They don't write that abysmally. You are no better than they are, sir! Fie!

Over the top is more interesting to me. :P

Though someone did object to the gamestop badmouthing and there was mention of the pc version being buggier somehow. They just didn't type as badly as that, except for maybe one guy.

Pff yeah, don't get us started on that one guy.

Who even INVITES HIM to parties? I don't know one person who even likes him.

Though someone did object to the gamestop badmouthing and there was mention of the pc version being buggier somehow. They just didn't type as badly as that, except for maybe one guy.

Yes, I remember that post. PC versions are always buggier! Nick is not objective in his opinions because he chose to play a PC version and not a console version.

My personal favorite was the poster there that made the comment that Jake, Chris, and Nick overly criticize games for the sake of making themselves seem more intelligent. It may have been around page 14-16. I don't remember now (it was all of yesterday ago!).

Yes, I remember that post. PC versions are always buggier! Nick is not objective in his opinions because he chose to play a PC version and not a console version.

My personal favorite was the poster there that made the comment that Jake, Chris, and Nick overly criticize games for the sake of making themselves seem more intelligent. It may have been around page 14-16. I don't remember now (it was all of yesterday ago!).

Haha, I love that, the dev said openly that the PC version is head and shoulders above the other versions.

Pff yeah, don't get us started on that one guy.

Don't forget that one guy's friend: That other guy. He's a dick.

I don't even think it's that. There seems to be a peculiar breed of internet commenter that is unable to distinguish between a a review and well, just about anything else; be it previews, news posts, opinion/blog pieces and now a guy talking on a podcast, they all get called reviews.

It must be a weird existence where everything you see or hear is a review for something.

So you're giving those guys a 4.3?

Though someone did object to the gamestop badmouthing

Apparently it demonstrated the Thumbs' lack of intelligence!

I read through the first 10 pages of that gear box forumand generally the comments weren't anywhere near as evil as I had expected them to be. Does it get worse?

Comments from those Hotcoffeeburns and Reeves fellows were actually very pleasant.

I read through the first 10 pages of that gear box forumand generally the comments weren't anywhere near as evil as I had expected them to be. Does it get worse?

On the whole, no. It's not that they were evil. Just indicative of some of the more ridiculous aspects of gaming fandom. Shit, there's that word again.

I'll definitely concede on that, I especially liked the people who were discrediting Nick's play-through on the basis of the videos they had watched online.

There were quite a few though that seemed to take the criticisms onboard which is unlike, say, the Killzone 2 fans who would've had forum posts demanding that Nick be strung up if he had said anything remotely disparaging.

The guy who encouraged everyone to stop trying to search for every iota of info on the internet about Borderlands was a heartening testimony to the fact that not everyone on the internets has lost it.

That guy seemed to be a member of staff. Generally they're less rabid than their fans. Still, yes, it must be conceded that there were some voices of reason, and the voices of unreason were probably in the minority. The majority was pretty much a bunch of people saying "hey, whatever, I'm still going to buy the game". Which, of course, is fine. I am, after all, still going to buy the game.

Well that heartens me. Nice to know the guys behind the game are of sound mind.

I'm also from that same breed. I hope I don't encounter the same sort of bugs that Mr Brekon does when I buy the game. I likes my looting as I did in Kingdom under Fire: Circle of doom and Future Shop are doing a 40$ cdn deal on day of release.

Ooh! Are they? I may be persuaded to pick it up at that price. What version of the game is that?

Just listened to the podcast. Late to the party, as usual.

I tried to buy Demon Souls from the very game stop they speak of, and was also unsuccessful. As a matter of fact, I don't know if I've ever actually bought the game I went in for from them. Sadly, my failure often results in alternate game purchases with mixed success. :deranged:

Bah, purchase online it is then.

Ooh! Are they? I may be persuaded to pick it up at that price. What version of the game is that?

Both Platforms. X360 version is sold out in downtown Montreal, didn't think it was going to be that popular.

Yeah, PS3 and 360. I guess it was too much to hope that Future Shop would carry a PC game that doesn't have "Sim" in the title. Oh well. Waiting for a Steam sale: go!

The Xbox 360 version of Risen was pushed back to 2010. Maybe it will be a better port when it comes out (I assume the main skew is PC).

The Xbox 360 version of Risen was pushed back to 2010. Maybe it will be a better port when it comes out (I assume the main skew is PC).

Doubt it, it's been out since the 2nd of October over here.

Ran into a very in depth and fairly amusing video review series on Ripper.

The Spoony Experiement: Ripper

(The videos are organized in reverse order due to blog-ness)

There's enough material there to feel like you've practically played through the thing, if anyone got extra curious at any point.