Jake

Idle Thumbs 47: The Lord of the Donk

This is that Ripper game from Take 2 mentioned in reader mail.

FYbAWZ8yPks

That is one AMAZING cast.

Oh holy crap. The ripper is...DYNOMIIIITE.

According to Youtube, "Video Games" is a cult classic!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwjuPM1MEgQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwjuPM1MEgQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Those guys are way too old for high school.

This is that Ripper game from Take 2 mentioned in reader mail.

FYbAWZ8yPks

That is one AMAZING cast.

This game is worse than I remember it (assuming the Idlethumbs guys read my lame ass Ripper story next week), but I think it really shows that Tex Murphy was the pinnacle of live action adventure games. Possibly Gabriel Knight 2 coming in close.

Everyone looks like they are rehearsing in a mirror. The part where they are shooting that green biped 3D piece of shit in the Lisa Frank background at 2:18 is just laughably bad.

Edited by syntheticgerbil

GonkH8er is still around, and is a very nice guy. ^^ Still has the same avatar, too! o/

(LucasForums is cool too, check it out. You'll fit right in if you're a grumpy old gamer complaining about how LucasArts were better before.

I think a lot of people here have already been registered to Lucasforums for a while, I think as they mentioned many of the users here migrated from Adventuregamers and Mixnmojo. Or maybe not, I don't know.

The word 'Donk'. Reminds me of those Preston area dipshits who made this hilarious track. The whole of the NW is into 'Bounce'. :violin:

ckMvj1piK58

That's the first thing I thought of too when I read the word 'Donk'. Well that, and the site where you can ruin all your favourite songs by putting a donk on it: http://www.donkdj.com/

God, it's turned into some kind of obnoxious ringtone!

heh... guess what I have on my phone :)

That's the first thing I thought of too when I read the word 'Donk'. Well that, and the site where you can ruin all your favourite songs by putting a donk on it: http://www.donkdj.com/

This is strangely catchy and hypnotizing; this might even become one of my guilty musical pleasures, in the same way the Soupe au Choux remix was for a few weeks:

hXz7o62T73c

Kinda dissapointed to learn that Borderlands sounds pretty much like a pile of turds.

Although I still don't know how to take the Brutal Legend talk.

The game is being reviewed as the greatest thing ever while others are saying that its just "ok". Although I will say it sounded like the guys were sporting "rage boners" for Tim Schafer.

I enjoyed the BL demo but I'm going to wait for Gamefly to send it to me. I think I'll spend my cash on Uncharted 2.

GonkH8er is still around, and is a very nice guy. ^^ Still has the same avatar, too! o/

(LucasForums is cool too, check it out. You'll fit right in if you're a grumpy old gamer complaining about how LucasArts were better before.

I enjoy that I got that wrong. It means that I'm not totally full of inane dorky trivia. I'm also partly full of inaccurate inane dorky trivia.

And yeah, LucasForums is cool. I did the design for that site ages ago (still usin' it!) and am an administrator there to this day. One time I paid my rent from an advertising revenue check from LFNetwork. That was, again, years ago, though.

I would imagine it's hard not to have raging boners when Tim Schafer has been so sexy in the past.

This is true. I just wonder if the game is getting somewhat biased reviews based on the sole fact that Tim Schafer created this game.

I wonder if Brutal Legend would receive the same criticisms if Tim Schafer wasn't the developer?

LucasForums represent!

At first I somehow missed the ending, I dunno if I was listening to it on my ipod and forgot to press pause and took my earbuds out and let it finish or what. So I was pretty confused by the title at first. :P But I went back and finished it today. gg Jake.

I enjoy that I got that wrong. It means that I'm not totally full of inane dorky trivia. I'm also partly full of inaccurate inane dorky trivia.

I enjoy that I am the same age as you and THIS is the crap that is taking up my memory real estate.

:partyhat:

"THIS" being retarded scifi minutia of course.

More hits from the Borderlands forum:

The main guy doing the review said "you know" more frequently than a professional athlete in a post game interview.

I don't even really care how good or bad they said the game was. It hurt my brain to listen to it. I couldn't even make it to the AI part.

Now this is me (GrouchoClub) writing: It's weird that those guys who don't listen regularly think you're trying to do a review. I don't think I've ever heard anything on the Thumbs podcast that I'd call a review. And, please, let's keep it that way. ;)

On a completely unrelated note but entirely related to this episode thread:

I was totally thrilled to hear Pyramid Head make a triumphant return to Remo's apartment.

:eek:

Now just wait for their thread discussing our discussion of their discussion of our podcast. Oh you silly internet :shifty:

Is it a lot louder in person? All I hear is a not-particularly loud sound not entirely unlike a fruit machine spewing coins or something.

It is much louder in person. Also, the way we orient ourselves to record puts my back to the speakers. It always sounds like some ungodly, inter-dimensional portal is opening just behind my right ear. It's fucking insane.

But yes, I am basically Tweek.

Now this is me (GrouchoClub) writing: It's weird that those guys who don't listen regularly think you're trying to do a review. I don't think I've ever heard anything on the Thumbs podcast that I'd call a review. And, please, let's keep it that way. ;)

I don't even think it's that. There seems to be a peculiar breed of internet commenter that is unable to distinguish between a a review and well, just about anything else; be it previews, news posts, opinion/blog pieces and now a guy talking on a podcast, they all get called reviews.

It must be a weird existence where everything you see or hear is a review for something.

Now just wait for their thread discussing our discussion of their discussion of our podcast. Oh you silly internet :shifty:

I'm almost surprised none of them have signed up here to trash talk the 'cast.