Jake

Idle Thumbs 47: The Lord of the Donk

What is an ECA membership?

I should also say if anyone is ever in Austin, Texas and has a taste for old and obscure console games, some even complete wiith box and manual, it's worth checking out Gameover. They have three locations now and it's nice to see someone is making a living by keeping old stuff in stock.

They don't sell anything new though and don't have current generation consoles or PC games to buy though, so they don't do so much in the way of alleviating this weird retail gridlock.

Edited by syntheticgerbil

Yeah, I know of a similar store in Calgary. They're damn great, but don't stock anything current gen. Pity.

I actually had an identical experience to Nick, as he remarked in the background. Went into a Gamestop, asked for Brutal Legend, was told no way, bought Uncharted 2 instead. Now it's off to Amazon to order Brutal Legend. Still need to figure out which console to buy for though.

lol @ "DEMON SOULS" in the background & its popularity exploding over the internets, so true! & i also frigging hate gamestop and their lack of care for stocking PC games, if they weren't everywhere..

Yeah, when I went in to see if they had Brutal Legend (like Chris, I prefer to avoid the place, but it's on my way to school so it's the damned convenience) I noticed that the PC section had vanished. Last time I went in (Scribblenauts hat preorder bonus) there was at least a shelf with some copies of Spore and an Age of Empires III bundle. Now, even that disappeared. I think there were Beatles Rock Band copies stacked where PC games used to be. Also, the used 360 games took up 3 shelves. New had one.

I've had mixed luck with GameStop. On some occasions I'll run into an employee who will actually have a conversation with me and not hassle me about pre-orders or whatever, but other times it's the opposite. During the school year I don't have a car so I either order from Amazon or go to Meijer if it's a game I know they'll carry first day as the bus goes by there. I'll probably be doing a lot more shopping on Amazon, I've gotten $10 credits from both ODST and Brutal Legend and even with shipping their prices are cheaper most of the time.

What is an ECA membership?

Ordinarily it costs twenty bucks a year, over at The ECA's website; but they give out free memberships in GameInformer every so often. If you have a membership, you get 10% off of your game purchases at Amazon. You also get discounts at other places, like AstroGaming and Hyatt hotels; but it's worth it for the Amazon discounts alone.

by the way saw this on shacknews chatty, Borderlands fanboy reactions hating on our favorite thumbs!!

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=75556

:hmph:

Man, those are some harsh ad hominem reviews of our beloved thumb there (hint: we love the idle one). I don't know what kind of thumb these people have been listening to if their reactions are so crazily skewed towards unabashed annoyance.

Is this dude actually accusing you of being a large magazine in a franchise rut detached from the tastes of the people?

I am impressed these guys made it to #47. This didn't really impact my choice what-so-ever, especially since I didn't know of this podcast's existence until this morning. Not every game will meet what gamers are looking for, especially those stuck in a franchise rut. Too Human received a lot of negative reviews, but for the niche it was being developed for, it was wonderful. IMO, I might care about what large magazines have to say, only if they have HUGE reasoning as to why you shouldn't play it. Besides that, I am looking forward to the launch.
:eek: Jesus!

Too Human received a lot of negative reviews, but for the niche it was being developed for, it was wonderful. IMO, I might care about what large magazines have to say, only if they have HUGE reasoning as to why you shouldn't play it. Besides that, I am looking forward to the launch.

Nick's reasoning wasn't big enough, maybe he should have yelled when he gave it.

I can't believe nick has the gall to have his own opinion about the game, the jerk. My favorite bit though is that somehow the fact that he played it on the PC exonerates him almost. "Oh well he played it on the PC, that's understandable then. Had he played it on consoles he would have liked it." At least that's the vibe I got.

So, have they shown you how wrong you were, or are they going to have to explain it some more?

The Internet is like that. Jeff Gerstmann got an incredibly hostile reaction from some people for giving Twilight Princess an 8.8. That's a great score!

That kind of stuff pretty much puts me off the idea of being a "fan" of something, rather than merely liking it.

I like how a lot of the posters are referring to the segment as a review. If that's what they think it is, I don't suppose it's any wonder they were expecting a more thorough and complete analysis. But I don't think any of the games podcasts I listen to do actual game reviews. They're mostly just conversational impressions to accompany a more formal text or video review on the site proper.

(Of course, it probably now seems like we're being Idle Thumbs fanboys and are just as reactionary and ridiculous as those guys.)

My favorite part of the podcasts are when disturbing noises happen and we get a terrified "JESUS CHRIST!" from Jake or Nick (couldn't tell who it was this week).

:crazy: I laugh at the misery of others.

My favorite part of the podcasts are when disturbing noises happen and we get a terrified "JESUS CHRIST!" from Jake or Nick (couldn't tell who it was this week).

Nick.

It was funnier the first time, though, when everyone was really tired. Is it a lot louder in person? All I hear is a not-particularly loud sound not entirely unlike a fruit machine spewing coins or something. I guess it's probably different if you're there, but I do like the idea that Nick is constantly incredibly on edge, one unexpected sneeze away from complete emotional and physical meltdown. A bit like Tweek in South Park or something.

Ordinarily it costs twenty bucks a year, over at The ECA's website; but they give out free memberships in GameInformer every so often. If you have a membership, you get 10% off of your game purchases at Amazon. You also get discounts at other places, like AstroGaming and Hyatt hotels; but it's worth it for the Amazon discounts alone.

Ah thank you, I'll look into it!

by the way saw this on shacknews chatty, Borderlands fanboy reactions hating on our favorite thumbs!!

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=75556

:hmph:

Holy moly, our own podcast threads have never made it anywhere near 17 pages! I guess we at Idleforums are slackers who don't make too much good for incredibly extended argument and effigy burning?

Yes, how dare they put down Gamestop, it's the publishers fault! It's just unrealistic to expect that a store specializing in carrying video games make it a point to have in stock all new(er) games available for purchase!

I'm going to end up reading all of their bitching out of curiousity even though it won't be at all good for my blood pressure... ergh...

Edited by syntheticgerbil

Something weird happened to me today when I was listening to the podcast. I was waiting for a train at the train station. The moment that video games song started a guy about 10 meters away from me began to dance a bit on the beat of the song. I'm almost sure he was listening in on the podcast through the bluetooth signal. They guy that was dancing was old enough to be young and into the arcade scene when this song came out (although the Netherlands didn't have an arcade scene).

I'm almost sure he was listening in on the podcast through the bluetooth signal. They guy that was dancing was old enough to be young and into the arcade scene when this song came out (although the Netherlands didn't have an arcade scene).

Why didn't you ask him? He may have picked up what you were listening to and was trying to hint to you that he enjoyed it.

And uh... now I wish I had been there for that, because the video game song is great.

Holy moly, our own podcast threads have never made it anywhere near 17 pages! I guess we at Idleforums are slackers who don't make too much good for incredibly extended argument and effigy burning?

But that is teh internetz.zomg.

Why didn't you ask him? He may have picked up what you were listening to and was trying to hint to you that he enjoyed it.

Dancing bald(ing) people scare me

Linkin493[/url]"]if you want something kinda professional wait for Xplay review or IGN review.
:yep:

This is that Ripper game from Take 2 mentioned in reader mail.

FYbAWZ8yPks

That is one AMAZING cast.