Jake

Idle Thumbs 47: The Lord of the Donk

And That's Who

"The Lord of the Donk"

Was

All rise. At his command, Chris and Jake play a bunch of Brütal Legend, while Nick frantically stockpiles gas cans to make it through Left 4 Dead 2's Scavenger mode, all the while trying to come to grips with his feelings on Borderlands. Plus a song about video games, but probably not what you're thinking.

Games Discussed: Brütal Legend, Left 4 Dead 2, Diablo, Borderlands, Risen, Stargoose

minipod_itunes.png

minipod_rss.png

Why am I up at this hour? Time to listen to the Thumbs while I drift off to sleep...

I agree with the MadCatz comments, but they've upped their game recently. Their SFIV pads are actually pretty rad. Love mine. But, yeah, historically. Crap. I especially loved the NES-era "slow" button that just continually paused and unpaused a game.

On the Gamestop discussion, I wholeheartedly agree.

I think they figured out some way to completely profit off of new game releases while focused on their used business models, so their preorder system probably works great for them. Whether anyone who enjoys games or talks about them on the internet is okay with their system or not probably matters little to them as their ubiquity and sales with unassuming parents probably outweighs the bad press. I imagine most of us and anyone "serious" about games doesn't shop at Gamestop now anyway. I personally usually will only buy online but do find myself going to Gamestop when I get these $50 giftcards from this survey thing I'm signed up for, as well as when they have certain preorder exclusive crap.

I did preorder some game a couple of years ago for some exclusive and they did not get it in or gave it away to someone else or something... the clerk couldn't really tell me what the deal was, and he explained that for many new release games they only fill in enough to satisfy the preorders. So I had to go to a different Gamestop in Houston.

That sounds utterly stupid and not to mention it probably harms any company or publisher not developing or distributing AAA titles that are sure to sell, because it ensures most Gamestops will get them in stock once some kids bring them in used, but then all of that money will go to Gamestop only.

Also not to mention that the shelf life of all games now only lasts for a small time now compared to a decade ago, with some not even staying on shelves for a full 6 months.

Rant over, but I'm just sick of the US way of selling games where it's all dependent majorly on the rules of Gamestop, Walmart, and Target.

that song was great. i think i still like the theme song to Joysticks more though.

TOTALLY AWESOME VIDEO GAMES!

I love that movie. I forget where but just the other day I even saw a for-real version of the gigantic joystick the characters in the movie use to play their final play-off... made me think:

TOTALLY AWESOME VIDEO GAMES!!

it's crazy that respected and semi-well-known character actors like John Diehl (The Shield) and Jon Gries (Napoleon Dynamite) are in there, along with Joe Don Baker of course. Greydon Clark was really one of the "funnest" b-movie directors of the 80s.

TOTALLY AWESOME VIDEO GAMES!!!

Gamespot shit

I remember when one of the GTAs came out, maybe San Andreas (or maybe it was a Halo?), I walked into a EB and asked for it and the clerk just sneered at me as if I had the gall to ask to buy a Video game in a Video game store. No, I did not preorder. Then he gave me attitude and basically said "good luck finding a copy" while a line formed. It was obviously a big release, lots of people were buying. But god forbid they'd have copies to sell.

I went to a Futureshop nearby (think BestBuy, but Canadian and with commissioned sales people :fart:) and there were no lines, but hey had a whole shit-ton of copies on their shelves. I grabbed one and left. I was tempted to go back and shove that game down that guy's throat, but I opted to, instead, never visit that fucking EB again.

Thankfully, while I lived in downtown Toronto we had a bunch of really cool independent game shops which all provided such a better experience overall. I remember walking into one of them and without saying a word the clerk, who knows me and my game tastes, grabbed a game and presented it and asked "right?"

Yup. That's exactly what I wanted. Bought it and left. No preorder. No negotiating. No protection plan. No shitty magazine upsells. I wish there were more independent retailers out there, but Video game retail is a hard business and there's little profit in game sales. I blame the publishers, but mostly I blame GameSpot/EB.

I don't own any of the current consoles, but at the end of last generation I stopped going to gamestop for the preorder crap. Not even the only having preorder copies in bullcrap either. But the fact that they harass you about preordering other games when buying something. Yes, I totally want to preorder tenchu for the 360 when I'm here to buy a copy of god of war 2, my buying a ps2 game totally telegraphs that I am interested in xbox360 titles.

My biggest pet peeve is people trying to sell me crap I don't want or need when I'm trying to checkout with something I am interested in. Though with steam now I never buy games at retail.

Oh, so haven't used that many of their products, but I think Hori is that good third-party game controller maker you want. The GBA Player controller they made for the GameCube was pretty good, and I found the Dragon Quest Slime controller for the PS2 to be surprisingly comfortable.

Also, they're the guys who made the thing that vibrates your thumb so that you can press buttons faster. And the cutlery you strap onto your hand so you can eat while playing video games, without getting your controller greasy. And the electric wang show!

Jesus Gamestop sounds bad, I used to think Game were bad, but they never tried to force sell you anything except maybe a preowned copy over a new one, which doesn't seem to happen any more. I really miss Special reserve however, they were the best overall. Also there was an independent games shop in my local town, they didn't have the best stock, but they were pretty cool overall (I bought Beyond good and evil from them).

I had an oddly positive experience with GameStop's pre-order bullshit. I went to pick up a copy of Odious Tea without having pre-ordered it. Either the guy wasn't paying attention to me or it was my lucky day, because he opened one of the drawers, pulled out a brand new, shrink-wrapped copy, and even gave me one of the Sgt. Johnson Firefight codes. I payed for the game and left, amazed that I spent so little time being hassled by a GameStop clerk.

Also, Donk? DONK? I hear the sound of a million Star Wars fans crying out, only to be silenced by what I'm sure is your apathy.

I had an oddly positive experience with GameStop's pre-order bullshit. I went to pick up a copy of Odious Tea without having pre-ordered it. Either the guy wasn't paying attention to me or it was my lucky day, because he opened one of the drawers, pulled out a brand new, shrink-wrapped copy, and even gave me one of the Sgt. Johnson Firefight codes. I payed for the game and left, amazed that I spent so little time being hassled by a GameStop clerk.

That is a bad Gamestop clerk. He does not care about the company's well being. "We only hire people who take this store seriously and are in it for the long run, not just to have a money and a job during college," said my manager when I used to work at Walgreen's.

Nick: "This was maybe made by someone who'd never played a video game."

:hah:

also Jake, http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gonk

hahahah oh yeah gonk whatever. lord of you shut up

Also, Donk? DONK? I hear the sound of a million Star Wars fans crying out, only to be silenced by what I'm sure is your apathy.

:D

I remember when one of the GTAs came out, maybe San Andreas (or maybe it was a Halo?)

Exact same thing happened to me with San Andreas, it came out October 26, which was my birthday. I was teaching a class at the time and the f@#$ing students wouldn't stop asking questions for a half hour after class, so I had 30 minutes to hoof it across downtown to go pick this up.

I get there and a literal mountain is behind the fat ass at the counter, I ask for it, he replys "Did you pre order" I reply "No" and in the most comic book guy from the simpsons voice/generic DnD dungeon master accent I could think of he bellows "Then NO GTA FOR YOU!"

Now, I'm a pretty ragey person, but I swear that guy probably never got closer to death and that EB burning to the ground then it ever will. But anyway, I just walked out pretty dissapointed and angry.

Turns out I picked it up from the mountain of copies on a shelf at futureshop after work and at least the day was saved. Anyway, everyone has at least one of these stories, but that guy was just an ass and on my b day, haven't purchased anything from EB since.

I thought that the video-game song rang true, especially the line about not wanting to think and just wanting to play games; I'm not saying that's a good thing, I'm saying that's the tone of a lot of conversation out there.

I used to live near a store that was like this. Shopping there was actually a pleasure, it was bizarre. Friendly, helpful people who remembered my name and saved pre-order bonuses for me even if I didn't pre-order. I miss those guys.

More recently I naively went to buy a copy of Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising at the store near my work and the Hot Topic reject behind the counter literally laughed at me. "You didn't preorder? Sorry buddy! hahaha!" I felt really old right then, a clerk 12 years younger than me laughing me out of her store. You have to love that a store can have such a grip on an entire market that they can get away with that kind of customer abuse and still be profitable.

I ended up finding a copy at the local Best Buy because the stockers that work there are too lazy and had an unopened box in the back, two days after street date. I'll take lazy over belligerent, I guess.

Unfortunately I'm one of those retards that's going to NEED Modern Warfare 2 at midnight so I'll be standing outside with the rest of the filth, but after that, no more. I'm done with buying games at brick-and-mortar locations. What a shame.

I freely admit to zoning out for about 15 minutes trying to come up with a pilot for "Jake Rodkin Controls The Internet".

Chris Remo and Nick Breckon guest-star as Jake tries to spare his parents from the horrors of Ctrl-Alt-Del! It's an all-new edition of Jake Rodkin Controls The Internet, 9 - 8 Central - on FOX! "It'll blow you away!" - IGN TV

Also, is it just me or did the whole turbo controller thing die as soon as Metal Gear Solid started killing you for using them?

The word 'Donk'. Reminds me of those Preston area dipshits who made this hilarious track. The whole of the NW is into 'Bounce'. :violin:

ckMvj1piK58

Yup. That's exactly what I wanted. Bought it and left. No preorder. No negotiating. No protection plan. No shitty magazine upsells.

This post got me thinkin'.

Where I live, there are three places where games can be purchased:

1) Walmart

2) Best Buy

3) GameStop

Though this is a small, poor town, there are nevertheless seven GameStops here. They look like pawn shops, they're run like pawn shops, and frankly, I'd expect better customer service in a pawn shop. So I've long since passed the point where I decide that I've had enough of their bullshit.

I've been buying my games from Amazon for years now, and they just keep making me happier about that decision. Amazon's prices are usually lower, shipping is free, there is no tax, I get 10% off with my ECA membership, and there are frequent incentives with new game purchases. For example, my total price for Brutal Legend after ECA discount and Amazon's regular price was $45, and on top of that, Amazon gave me a $10 credit towards the purchase of any other game.

But when I read this post, it made me wonder whether or not I would still be buying from Amazon if there were actually a retailer here that gave a shit. If there were a place to shop that treated its customers and its products with respect, a place like this independent retailer you've described, then I'd probably shop there exclusively-- just to support that. And that's with full knowledge that I could be saving a sizable chunk of cash by continuing to buy all my games from Amazon.

As it is, the idea of a game retailer that actually gives a shit seems like a foreign concept. The closest we've come was a local store called Rhino Video Games, which was only a step above GameStop-- even so, I bought all my games there, just because it wasn't GameStop. Then GameStop bought them, and shut down all their stores.

I actually like one of the Game Stops near me. They don't hassle about pre-orders and I've actually been able to have some intelligent conversations about games with the clerks there. I guess I shouldn't say where this is because Game Stope corporate would have to shut them down.