thorn

Lucidity

Lucidity.jpg

... is a puzzle platformer that's apparently from the same team in Lucasarts who did the SoMI update. Available on Steam here.

Has anyone played it? Does the gameplay match up to the prettiness of the visuals?

I picked it up yesterday and played it for 45 minutes or so. I would say overall it's pretty fun but can get frustrating if you let her fall at the same place more than 1 time in a row as you get sent all the way back to the start of the level. You set the pieces with a grid system which has positive and negative tradeoffs, it's a little harder to control that way but on the other hand you know how Sofi will react to a piece in a certain position without having to worry about it being 1 pixel off.

I'd say it's worth the $10. I'll probably write a full review once I finish it.

Played the demo, it was fun for a while, but I'm not going to buy the full game. It did get frustrating for Moelman's reason.

It's like Lemmings, but really more Lemming, since there's only the girl. Basically she's walking from left to right through the level and you have to place beams, jumping things and stuff to prevent her from touching bad stuff, while trying to catch some glowing stuff. The levels were so bland I started to wonder if they were just randomly generated, but it seems they're not.

It's awesome that LucasArts is making original non-Star Wars games, and I hope they keep doing it (which is why I bought the game without trying the demo (which I expect exists?)), but this really wasn't that great. Maybe it becomes really cool later on.

Bah... it looks so pretty, but the gameplay just isn't there. It feels half-done (although certainly not in terms of presentation). It's sort of a cross between Lemmings and Sleepwalker (if anyone remembers that old Amiga game?), but not as good as either of them.

The levels designs feel distinctly un-honed and I don't recall seeing anything that came close to being a puzzle... which sort of makes the game a bit like Tetris -- except you can die if you get the "wrong" shaped block.

Beautiful, visually polished but seriously seriously lacking anything fun -- they needed a few more months development.

Nice to see LA doing something original, though.

Looks great but the actual gameplay gets really frustrating, it's a shame really because I want to like the game but it just doesn't play well

I so want to like this, if only to send a message to LucasArts that I want more original games. But man, this game is boring. The trial version, anyway.

The comparisons with Tetris and Lemmings are apt, except LucasArts took the worst elements of both. They took the frustrating Tetris randomness of waiting for a puzzle piece that may never come, and the frustrating Lemmings indirect control over your character(s). But with Lemmings it's about figuring out how to get your Lemmings to the goal, where here it's just about preventing her from falling into a hole over and over.

[ URL=http://hol.abime.net/1977]Sleepwalker[/url]

I completely remember this one, and the peculiar circumstances in which I bought it : I was on a trip with my parents in Venice and bought it from a small press kiosk in the city's web of intricate streets. Every night for the rest of the trip, I would fetch the box from our luggage, stare at the disks (two of them were black, one was blue, that was a first as a gamer) and read the italian manual illuminated with wonderful black and white pictures of the game. I must have been 9 or 10 at the time, and when I finally got to play the game, I got raped thoroughly and could never get passed the second level. Man, what a difficult game.

Anyway, back to Lucidity : the aesthetic is charming but the gameplay (think Sleepwalker minus the platforming component) turned out to be very poor and so I couldn't bring myself to finish the demo. I like the effort though, since it shows LucasArts is ready to venture in new genres, new style and original universe.

I completely remember this one, and the peculiar circumstances in which I bought it : I was on a trip with my parents in Venice and bought it from a small press kiosk in the city's web of intricate streets. Every night for the rest of the trip, I would fetch the box from our luggage, stare at the disks (two of them were black, one was blue, that was a first as a gamer) and read the italian manual illuminated with wonderful black and white pictures of the game. I must have been 9 or 10 at the time, and when I finally got to play the game, I got raped thoroughly and could never get passed the second level. Man, what a difficult game.

Childhood video game acquirement stories are the best. It was like a magical adventure from the moment you saw the box to the moment you started it up (and beyond!). Looking at the back of the box, reading the manual, being awestruck by the awesome cover art.

Back then I'd go look in a store to see if any new games had come out. Now I know everything about it a year before its release, and the purchase is just another step in the process.

I'll be among the first who buy a machine that plays games for me.

Hmm, this game hasn't been reviewed much, but according to Metacritic and GameRankings the average score hovers around 70%.

Hmm, this game hasn't been reviewed much, but according to Metacritic and GameRankings the average score hovers around 70%.

Is that good, I honestly have no idea how that relates to it being good or not

Is that good, I honestly have no idea how that relates to it being good or not

Depends. I would say it hovers between mediocre and good. I haven't played the game yet, but for only 10 bucks I will pick it up regardless of what reviewers are saying.

Childhood video game acquirement stories are the best. It was like a magical adventure from the moment you saw the box to the moment you started it up (and beyond!). Looking at the back of the box, reading the manual, being awestruck by the awesome cover art.

Back then I'd go look in a store to see if any new games had come out. Now I know everything about it a year before its release, and the purchase is just another step in the process.

*sigh* Good times. I hate to say it, but kids today will never experience the healthy frustration of dreaming of playing games. Back then cover art meant something! :oldman:

I remember I drooled over the Monkey Island review in Amiga Power back in the day. I'd always loved the idea of adventure games, but they'd ALWAYS sucked when I tried them (I hate text parsers to this day). MI seemed to fill all of my fantasies when I read the review: Smart, funny, clever and no goddamned text parser -- apparently it was like being in your own movie.

It was my favourite game of all time and I'd never even played it... and I didn't get to play it until my next birthday (some months later) when I got the 1MB upgrade for my Amiga.

Astoundingly it managed to live up to my expectations.

Aye, those were the days :oldman:

That's correct. Not sure how that worked in the US, but in the UK it featured Lenny Henry and part of the money went to Comic Relief. Astoundingly the game was actually pretty decent, too.

Aha! Yes! I knew it reminded me of something.

Sadly I really enjoyed Tasha's Game and bothered to finish it. I didn't even bother to finish the demo of Lucidity :(

I order you to finish Tasha's game! It doesn't take long and it has a really cute ending.

Bah... it looks so pretty, but the gameplay just isn't there. It feels half-done (although certainly not in terms of presentation). It's sort of a cross between Lemmings and Sleepwalker (if anyone remembers that old Amiga game?), but not as good as either of them.

I had a PC port of Sleepwalker a long time ago! I don't know where it went to, but I loved that game even though it was too hard for me to win.

I'm not really planning to buy or play Lucidity though, but good to read opinions otherwise about what LucasArts is up to.

For some reason I have find memories of playing oddly licensed games on the Amiga like Pushover, the Quavers game.

Yeah! That, oddly enough, was also a good game. Never got around to playing the sequel though.

Completed both Pushover and Sleepwalker (although I may have cheated on the latter if it was as hard you all say it was).

Sorry to unbury this thread, but...

Am I the only one who bought Lucidity on Steam when it was ridiculously cheap because they promised to "fix the game" and is still waiting for that update?

I may have been tricked...:blink:

What did they promise to fix?

I was never interested in Lucidity so I passed the cheap offers.