toblix

Idle Forums Joined Date Histogram

what's your point?

but maybe more importantly... did you have nothing else to do!?

I think it might be helpful if you resize your buckets.

Yeah, I just threw it at Excel and took a screen shot.

Jesus, it's just a badly drawn chart showing how many people joined over the years. I just thought it was interesting.

VIEWING THE CHART IS NOT MANDATORY. THERE IS NO POINT.

So you just picked July 4th-12th at random?

it's DD-MM-YYYY

For this reason I always use the Japanese form: YYYY-MM-DD (also ISO 8601)

The American form is terrible, there is no proper logic behind it. The European form is ok, but for computers the Japanese form is better because it allows easy sorting on ASCII value.

The American form is terrible, there is no proper logic behind it. The European form is ok, but for computers the Japanese form is better because it allows easy sorting on ASCII value.

100% agree. If I'm making a graph like this but the dates don't need to be human readable, I tend to use Unix Time. It's easy to convert to/from and is continuous whereas YYYY-MM-DD will have massive gaps.

Here's one with a linear date range from 2004-04-07 to 2009-10.07. 1 pixel per day, 1 pixel per joined member:

joined.png

I wonder what those peaks in, erm, joinage are.

Also, I have been using YYYYMMDD as my date stamp on everything for ever. It just makes sense.

I wonder what those peaks in, erm, joinage are.

The first one, I guess, is when the site was announced. I think I read a post by... I can't remember, Spaff or Marek? on AdventureGamers, and joined because the articled were awesome or something.

As for the other peaks, could they be related to externals links or podcasts?

edit: Also, I thought hey, I'll compare it to this, which was useless...

I use that (actually I generally go for YYMMDD), but I had no idea it had any particular association with Japan. In fact, I was under the impression it was the most internationally neutral option. But yes, it's clearly the most logical option given how we write numbers in general.

I wonder if anyone uses YYYY-DD-MM just to re-introduce the stupid ambiguity into things.

I wonder if anyone uses YYYY-DD-MM just to re-introduce the stupid ambiguity into things.

YY-MD-DMYY?

The year is generally the least important, though, so it's a bit odd to have it first.

The year is the least important? since when? It's absolutely the most significant.

The year is the least important? since when? It's absolutely the most significant.

Only assuming:

• You're able to use the information as you're receiving it
  • You're reading it left-to-right.
  • Incomplete and less specific information is useful.

Since this is rarely the case, I'd say all fields are equally important. Hence, the date format is irrelevant as long as you know which one to use.