GameDreamer

Demon's Souls

I saw some dragons guarding some loot, or to be precise the loot dropped by the people they killed... how stupid would it be for me to try and take this loot?

That isn't a problem if you do it correctly.

:hypnotoad:

I saw some dragons guarding some loot, or to be precise the loot dropped by the people they killed... how stupid would it be for me to try and take this loot?

You can grab some stuff... But watch out for the tail. It will crush you.

Yea don't bother running to try to grab that loot. There is nothing super rare there, but if there is a black world tendency, the dragons will not be there guarding it I think. Might have to check the wiki on that to makes sure.

Man, I have to go back and play this game. I remember encountering those dragons as a bit of a magical moment really early in the game.

After playing a big more... I kinda have no idea where to go next... I just discovered a guy selling spells so I might grind until I get the one I want?:blink:

After playing a big more... I kinda have no idea where to go next... I just discovered a guy selling spells so I might grind until I get the one I want?:blink:
I would just try the next numbered level in each world until you find one you can beat, all the while leveling up. The most important thing to remember is not to consume any of the boss souls. Most of the spells and abilities from those merchants can be earned by trading boss souls. Don't be afraid to use a wiki to help you with the game's more dense mechanics. It's a brilliant, atmospheric masterpiece, but the usability of the in game stats and inventory leaves a lot to be desired.

I would just try the next numbered level in each world until you find one you can beat, all the while leveling up. The most important thing to remember is not to consume any of the boss souls. Most of the spells and abilities from those merchants can be earned by trading boss souls. Don't be afraid to use a wiki to help you with the game's more dense mechanics. It's a brilliant, atmospheric masterpiece, but the usability of the in game stats and inventory leaves a lot to be desired.

After a few steps in what I assume is 1-2 I saw a long bridge and some charred bodies.... I remembered what happened in 1-1 to get there, so... I fled? :getmecoat

After a few steps in what I assume is 1-2 I saw a long bridge and some charred bodies.... I remembered what happened in 1-1 to get there, so... I fled? :getmecoat
You can wait until the dragon passes and time your run to make it to the next safe area on that path. Also, if you're sick of dying there or whatever, you could go to the next archstone and try 2-1 or 3-1 or 4-1

I think I give up on Demon's Souls, I've spent half a day grinding the red guard in 1-1 but I still can't make it to ANY of the next bosses, well I did make it to a giant suit of armor that killed me in one hit.

Maybe I can beat this game, but it that means I have to grind myself silly then I'm quiting. People tell me it's easy to gain experience by killing the skeletons in 4-1, but they keep dodging my spells and are just too quick.

I think I give up on Demon's Souls, I've spent half a day grinding the red guard in 1-1 but I still can't make it to ANY of the next bosses, well I did make it to a giant suit of armor that killed me in one hit.

Maybe I can beat this game, but it that means I have to grind myself silly then I'm quiting. People tell me it's easy to gain experience by killing the skeletons in 4-1, but they keep dodging my spells and are just too quick.

Where are you up to? What weapons are you using and character class are you attempting to play as?

I'm playing as "Royalty"? And I've only managed to get past 1-1, I'm using soul arrow and flame toss, I also got "heater shield"?

I'm playing as "Royalty"? And I've only managed to get past 1-1, I'm using soul arrow and flame toss, I also got "heater shield"?
That's actually the best starting class. Having that ranged attack will make things a lot easier. Don't be afraid to try levels 2-1,3-1, and 4-1, you don't have to finish all of world 1 before you try the others if you're stuck.

That's actually the best starting class. Having that ranged attack will make things a lot easier. Don't be afraid to try levels 2-1,3-1, and 4-1, you don't have to finish all of world 1 before you try the others if you're stuck.

Hmm, I can't kill the skeletons in 4-1, they are too fast for me. The fat fire tossing man kill me in 2-1, there is one that is over a LOOONG wooden beam, I can't reach him... I know I've tried the prison and the swamp-like area, but I don't remember where I die.

I wonder if it's my wizard snobbery kicking in? Maybe I just need a new spell.

Hmm, I can't kill the skeletons in 4-1, they are too fast for me. The fat fire tossing man kill me in 2-1, there is one that is over a LOOONG wooden beam, I can't reach him... I know I've tried the prison and the swamp-like area, but I don't remember where I die.

I wonder if it's my wizard snobbery kicking in? Maybe I just need a new spell.

Ideally, you need to beat 3-1 (Tower of Latria) and get the Fools Idols soul to create "Soul Ray", a really really strong mage spell. Don't get discouraged at dying so much though. It's just a rough game to get used to! If you have any questions, I'm sure we can all help you out

YES! I finally beat another boss and I got enough souls for the evacuate spell! HUZZAH!

Is there anyway to increase the range of spells? Those skeletons are still too quick for me, even though I could kill them with two hits of my spell!

YES! I finally beat another boss and I got enough souls for the evacuate spell! HUZZAH!

Is there anyway to increase the range of spells? Those skeletons are still too quick for me, even though I could kill them with two hits of my spell!

there isn't. did you get the thief ring from 1-1? that will make your life WAY easier. i was stuck for the longest time in that game until a friend told me i missed the thief ring and to get the crescent falchion from 4-1 and after that it all started to click. those first few levels are by far the hardest until you get the rhythm down.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/954345-demons-souls/answers?qid=118939

there isn't. did you get the thief ring from 1-1? that will make your life WAY easier. i was stuck for the longest time in that game until a friend told me i missed the thief ring and to get the crescent falchion from 4-1 and after that it all started to click. those first few levels are by far the hardest until you get the rhythm down.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/954345-demons-souls/answers?qid=118939

But I have the Cling Ring that give me more HP in soul form and the one that regens MP, is it really worth giving up the cling ring?

I have no idea of what to do with the Yellow Demon's soul, Soul thirst or homing soul arrow?

I had completely forgotten other people can invade your game... Someone invaded mine, but I was lucky enough to defeat them!

Is it me or do have you be as cheap as the bosses to defeat them?:erm:

Dead thread redemption!! (I hope this is the "right" Demon's Souls thread)

I finally started really digging into this last night. I've been really intrigued by everyone's love for Dark Souls and the like but I always prefer to start from the beginning of beloved franchises to experience their evolution over iterations and to gain a better appreciation and understanding of what makes a given franchise special.

Up until last night, it had been pretty rough going in this game. I went in blind and beat 1-1 fairly easily but then stalled for about a dozen hours after that. I experimented with several other areas, worked on grinding experience, and eventually cleared 2-1 but was till lukewarm on the game. I've come to also learn that I've apparently stacked the odds against myself a bit by going with Dex and Strength as my primary stats instead of something magic based or single stat based and I've mostly ignored my bow since I never bothered buying any arrows. So I've basically just been bumbling around like an idiot, dying a whole bunch, and learning through painful trial and error.

But I decided to bring this one to the front of my rotation and put a solid three hours in last night. I think things are finally starting to come together. I've been grinding 4-1 with those rolling skeletons to stock up on herbs and arrows and level a few stats and items up and through that process I think I'm finally starting to get the proper rhythm down. I found that I could upgrade my battle axe and rapier to a 'Quality' version that balances Strength and Dex so my stat makeup is finally starting to bear some fruit, I put enough points into faith to get the basic healing spell as a fallback if I run out of herbs, and I've just generally started getting better at recognizing the various attack animations and how I should react. So I went from getting wrecked by those rolling skeletons to totally steam rolling them every time by the end of the night.

After leveling and stocking up to a satisfactory level, I decided to take a stab at 3-1. So far so good. But those magic slinging guys that suck you in with their tentacles scare the shit out of me.

If you're worried about your build it may be worth it to just start over. I know that sounds awful but you can blow through most of this game like it's nothing once you done it once. And yeah magic is pretty great in this game. Some would say it's broken but the game is still super hard with a magic build so if it sounds appealing to you I would just go for it.

NEVER!!!

Okay, maybe eventually if I just can't make it work. But I think it is starting to work for me and I kind of like the idea of beating this game with a non-ideal build. It seems to be in the spirit of these games to do so. I'll keep an open mind but I'm pretty determined to make this work and I'm fine with putting up with a lot of frustration if need be. 

Really, as long as you've got that stats for a decent weapon (and most of them are capable at least), you should get through fine.  And there are a lot of people who are fans of the Quality build.  As far as magic goes, my first playthrough was pure magic, and later playthroughs avoided it entirely.  I enjoy the non-magic playthroughs more, I think the magic system, while useful, ultimately ends up separating you from many of the things that make the game mechanically interesting.  So keep on trucking!

3-1, the tower, remains one of my favorite (and most terrifying) video game environments of all time.  It's sparsely populated, but what's there is mysterious, terrifying and capable of killing you so easily. 

If you've avoided guides or FAQs, I very, very, very much suggest at least reading a guide about weapon upgrading.  I'm going to guess that at this point you've noticed the little crystal lizards that appear occaisionally?  They are the most consistent way to get upgrade materials in the game.  If so, know that you only get one shot at each one, BUT that each one will respawn once per boss killed in their world (so theoretically you get...4 or 5 spawns of each lizard once you've gone all the way down a path, depending on the world).  So even if you don't want to track them down with a guide, remember where you see them, so you can come back and take another shot at them after you've killed your next boss. 

Are you playing online or offline?  World Tendency is fucking weird and convoluted, and by far the one aspect of Demon's Souls that I'm super critical of.  Unfortunately, reading about it, how it works, and how to manipulate it is very likely to result in possibly spoiling some interesting things.  But without reading about it, it's a near certainty that you will miss out on several interesting (though not strictly necessary) things. 

With both the lizards and Tendency, I'd say if you think you're enamored enough that you might make another playthrough, you could hold off on reading about them for that.  But if you're pretty sure this is going to be a one and done game, it's worth reading about them (and eventually worth reading about Tendencies no matter what, because of what a strange, little unique (and bad) idea it was). 

Funny, my co-worker who has been trying to get me to play these games for the last couple years has said the same thing about 3-1 being one of his favorite video game environments ever.

I did notice those little fire lizards in 2-1 that hang out on the walls and drop down when you get close. Are those the crystal lizards you're talking about? I think I remember them giving me the material I needed to upgrade my 'Quality' weapons. I figured I could just run back and farm them as much as I want but if they only respawn after a single boss kill in that area I guess maybe I need to be more picky in which items I choose to upgrade with those materials (assuming there aren't other enemies that drop them too).

I'm not averse to using a guide for certain things since they aren't very well explained in this game and failure can mean a lot of very frustrating back-tracking. I am generally enjoying just going into each new area blind and learning the new enemies and getting familiar with things naturally. But when it comes to leveling and upgrading, I have started consulting my co-worker to make sure I don't do anything too stupid with my stats and weapons. That is not a type of trial and error I find too fun and beyond randomly picking a few stats to focus on when I started and experimenting with the first few areas, I do want to make sure I have at least a somewhat competent build as I progress forward. So as I get further in and more familiar with all the stats and mechanics, I'll probably resort more and more to guides to make sure I'm not making dumb choices that end up wasting my time and causing frustration.

Also, for the 2-1 boss, I watched a walkthrough before attempting it. I was pretty low on herbs and had no arrows going in and the thought of going in blind and learning the mechanics by trial and error sounded absolutely horrid, given the amount of backtracking I would need to do after each failure. But 1-1 boss was right near the entrance so I did that one naturally. It may not be the 'purest' approach but if failing on a boss means having to go through almost the entire level again (the 2-1 shortcuts still required navigating through the bulk of the level each time), there is just nothing fun about that. I hear it's much better in Dark Souls.

I guess I'm technically playing online because I'm seeing all the messages and blood spots but I haven't experienced any PVP or seen any other real people. My co-worker says he might level a new character over the next couple days and see if we can summon each other since there should be a fairly small pool of people playing. That will probably be the extent of my online play. And unless this game blows me away I was planning to just do a single playthrough and save any deep dives for Dark Souls or Dark Souls 2.

Sorry for the multiple long-ish posts... this game just started to grab me and I'm excited to talk about it.

Sorry for the multiple long-ish posts... this game just started to grab me and I'm excited to talk about it.

No, that's awesome, post away.  I've always enjoyed your long takes on games.

Those are not the lizards I was talking about.  There are small lizards, with a crystal/gem in their back, who run away from you if you get close, and they'll either burrow into the ground or suicide off a cliff.  You've generally got just a few seconds to kill one once it spots you, or you do damage to it.  They always drop some upgrade material.

If you're online, then you don't need to worry about World Tendency.  Online, Tendency is controlled by the actions of all players (so it generally hangs around neutral, though with a low enough player base I suppose it might have more variance in it).  Tendency ranges from Pure White to Pure Black.  Certain things only happen at each extreme, but it generally takes some offline manipulation to achieve that.  But then, to do that, you're giving up the online experience.  That's one of the reasons I'm really critical of it.  it's obtuse, encourages offline play to really experience it and is nearly impossible to figure out without a guide.