GameDreamer

Demon's Souls

I really can't believe there isn't a thread for this game on here yet. First and foremost however, I can't believe it hasn't been discussed on the podcast yet. That's not a bad thing, it's just one of those games I'd expect Chris, Jake, and Nick to be creaming themselves over. I know I have. Twice.

My copy arrived yesterday morning and I'm having a blast so far.

Anyone else pick it up? Anyone planning to?

34478944.jpg

Oh man. So far from the truth. It's a challenging 3rd-person Action-RPG from Atlus. It also has some very innovative online/co-op mechanics which cross over into the single-player portion of the game. It uses PSN in a really intuitive way.

Online features

* Players can find messages on the ground containing hints and advice that other players have left.

* Players can find bloodstains where other players have died, and view how their deaths occurred.

* Co-operative play allows three players to team up and play through different levels in the game.

* In competitive play, a player can force themselves into another player's adventure and play as their opponent.

Instead of trying to explain, I should just point to some linkage:

http://www.demons-souls.com/wiki/

http://www.demons-souls.com/main.html

Anyhow, if you want an unforgiving, challenging, rewarding, old-school, and innovative RPG to play, I would recommend it.

Unfortunately I can't handle challenging, much less unforgiving, so I won't be trying this. But it sounds pretty awesome.

I really want it, but it doesn't have a European date yet, never mind publisher. Was this close to importing the Asian version six months ago.

I got it yesterday, what a cool game this is. I'm usually not one for steep difficulty curves but the reviews challenged me to emphasise what little "old schoolness" existed in my video game ego.

I died in the tutorial. Admittedly, it was my own fault for being an idiot.

This game is fantastic.

I'm afraid people are going to miss out on it because it's going to be thrown under the bus once the really big AAA titles start rolling in this fall. In like, 10 days.

Irishjohn said:
I died in the tutorial. Admittedly, it was my own fault for being an idiot.

This game is fantastic.

"Oh la la la, tutorial time! Easy enemies. Wow. Really easy. La la la la tutorial la la la OH MY FUCKING GOD KILLED IN HALF BY A DEMON THE SIZE OF A ROOM!"

:mock:

This game is bananas. It's like a fantasy of everything you want in an action RPG: great graphics + combat as responsive as you have in Zelda + coop + pvp + RPG depth of character development.

I can't believe this game. It combines Horror, rpg, MMO, wtf.

I was scared out of my pants in the tutorial, then I go into the first zone and there are horse corpses everywhere and zombies coming at me, with bloodstains and other player's ghosts running around. There's a lot going on in this game.

Its an Atlus published game. They're lucky to sell 25-50k lifetime US. Theres no sense of being thrown under the bus here, because they knew exactly what they were getting into - Which is also why their HD console offerings at retail so far (Spectral Force 3, Operation Darkness, Zoids Assault, Demon's Souls) have been only localization/publishing rather than development, because the costs are much more reasonable.

They have a small but dedicated fanbase that will purchase this game, to the extent that they have PS3s. I trust that Atlus has their math together and the game will meet their expectations.

Edited by Dr Mario Kart

When I bought my copy at Gamestop, the clerk told me that the game was selling really well although he had never heard of it. He had about 6 copies left and he said they'd be gone within a day or two.

Unfortunately, their allocation was probably quite small. I got the last copy in my nearest Gamecrazy, most of the other ones they got in were pre-ordered. Best Buy, where I usually get games, wasn't even carrying it, at least not this week.

After a considerable amount of time I beat the boss of the first section and got to a point where I could start improving my dude's stats. Reminds me of my experiences with Ninja Gaiden: what seemed impossible three hours earlier is now doable at worst, easy at best. Most of the time. Having a great time with this game. Will probably start leaning on co-op soon though!

Ugg, that's brilliant Best Buy: don't you remember how well Oblivion did years ago?

Hmmmm, nuts..... Just checked again and they have it in stock in my nearest two Best Buy stores now. They didn't at launch. Interestingly, if you order online from Best Buy the game is already backordered and will take 1-2 weeks to come through.

I still think it's likely they didn't order a lot, but it's encouraging that it's moving off shelves.

Yeah, I'm surprised at how well it's selling. This makes me happy. I haven't had a chance to see what the retail store situation is since I pre-ordered mine on Amazon. They had a shipping deal where it was guaranteed to be delivered on the release date.

This game sounds really interesting but it's too "hardcore" for me. I don't wanna be constantly fearful when playing something, most of the time I play for relaxation purposes...

this games heavily talked about on shacknews chatty, if i had a ps3 id try it, heard its throwback to the 'hard games club'

I put in about an hour or so today. I'm hooked. I think this is the dungeon crawler I've been waiting for. I've tried games like Sacred 2 and Titan quest and they were just too focused on trash mobs it was hard to not get bored. This game is much more deliberate, where every enemy is a threat, instead of feeling powerful where enemies are only a threat if they are super powered or in large numbers. I feel vulnerable and isolated. That is combined with the great atmosphere and presentation that reminds me of the Team Ico games. In invokes feelings I had as a child going through a professional haunted house. Not being able to see what's coming and knowing that the whole thing is set up to get me is frightening and exhilarating.

It is challenging, but not like most games are challenging. This game just requires precision. It doesn't rely on overwhelming number or twitch to create difficulty.

I'm getting more and more interested in this. I may need to grab it in the rush of post-christmas "I have money for a couple of weeks!"

Woah! Thanks for starting a thread!

I'd never even heard of it, but it looks awesome! I'm definitely picking it up.

Also, while watching the trailer, I was overwhelmed by the EXTREME quotes. I wanted "This game will chew you up and spit you back out" to be followed by -IGN.com really badly. :grin:

Seems like a crazy game judging from the Giant Bomb QL. Probably not for me, but also probably for someone else.

Seems like a crazy game judging from the Giant Bomb QL. Probably not for me, but also probably for someone else.

Vinnie doesn't really seem well informed based on looking at the quick look/ I don't know how he manages to suck that much. I guess he is distracted and trying to explain things.

Jeff's take: I didn't do the tutorial, but this game doesn't control well at all! All I could do was use a sword, because I never learned the buttons! The game mechanic sounds dumb!

Ugg, that video is terrible.

Edited by blackboxme

Giant Bomb just put up a QL: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-demons-souls/17-1485/

I have it queued for rental, but I'm more and more considering a purchase. It may be hard, but it seems to be more or less fair.

That quick look is good to get a feel for the game, but I wouldn't use it to determine if you might be interested in the game. They have just scratched the surface and don't seem to totally understand all the systems. Also, the second world he went to with the octopus head enemy is too advanced for him. There are other places he should have gone.

:woohoo:

The more and more I play of this, the more and more I like it.

It's like I'm redeeming myself for all of the hours of Peggle I've played.

That quick look is good to get a feel for the game, but I wouldn't use it to determine if you might be interested in the game. They have just scratched the surface and don't seem to totally understand all the systems. Also, the second world he went to with the octopus head enemy is too advanced for him. There are other places he should have gone.

Kinda seems like the game doesn't really communicate much to the player.