toblix

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

I agree with James that the post-boss sequence was the real boss (as in the real finale), since the boss fight wasn't anything special. I'm just glad it wasn't stupid and impossible.

Clearly you did play on easy, because on anything else that boss is a real long rough slog.

I was looking on Wikipedia and apparently a sequel is confirmed, although that's literally all there is on the matter.

It's going to take a serious game to beat Uncharted 2. Maybe the only place left to go is... space!!!!!

Clearly you did play on easy, because on anything else that boss is a real long rough slog.

That's actually good to hear. I always kept asking myself if I should've chosen normal, but not having to try that boss fight ten or more times is, to me, a plus. I feel I got a very nice flow throughout the game.

I didn't find too much of a difference between the difficulties. Lazarivic still takes the same amount of sap explosions to kill, but his grenades do more damage. It becomes more a matter of "Do I have enough health to risk hurting him now, or do I run and wait around the next corner?"

Oh yeah, the boss fight. THAT's why I'm not going to be replaying this game anytime soon. That fight almost spoiled the rest of the game for me. Fuck that guy.

I literally just finished it. It was awesome.

It says a lot when the only major criticism I have about a game is the somewhat shoddy writing, though the character arcs all feel deserved.

Really, great great game. Everything was so very refined. It's what they call a "system seller".

Favorite thing: it's aware it's a platformer, so any time Drake is on something a little rickety it'll give way just to screw with you - so, rotten wood will break, stuff like that. I liked that it happened whenever you forgot about it.

Edited by Kroms

Dammit, seems like I must play this game. If I ever get that bonus I was supposed to get months ago already, I'll buy a PS3.

Favorite thing: it's aware it's a platformer, so any time Drake is on something a little rickety it'll give way just to screw with you - so, rotten wood will break, stuff like that. I liked that it happened whenever you forgot about it.

What's funny is if you replay you can switch Drake's model to the 400 pound 'Doughnut Drake', and it suddenly makes a lot more sense why every platform collapses as soon as you step on top of it.

So, I just started playing Uncharted 2 now that I finished the first one, and I've gotta say, so far...

graphics :tup: (realistic hair, mostly :tup: except Chloe's often looks too plasticy :tdown:)

seemingly deeper plot development :tup:

continuing with the corny subtleties of the original :tup:

Chloe's voice, sorta grating :tmeh:

Chloe's voice, sorta grating :tmeh:

Tell me you did not just mock this woman:

300px-Aeryn_sun_1.jpg

Because she will fuck you up.:mock:

Started playing it right after finishing the first Uncharted. Currently I'm in some museum courtyard with a fountain, but so far I'm already liking it A LOT more than the first game. In the first there were just so many jungles and places that looked almost the same. Of course, haven't gotten to any shooty bits yet so I'll see how I like that part, but from what I read in this thread, it has improved, but is still based on some rigid triggers which might work against you if you play in a non-intended way.

Actually there was one bad guy in the escape from hanging train level, and he cried "He's alive!" or something like that when he saw me -- well, actually just before he could have possibly seen me, of course. Who did he shout it to? Yeah, I guess the enemies, spawning thereof, and their barks are still kind of dumb, probably.

But I have a feeling I will enjoy this a lot more than the previous game. I kind of expected it to be the Heavy Rain of action/platformers*, but after reading this thread I guess it really isn't. I might turn it to Very Easy if combat gives me any trouble.

* I mean that in the sense of being almost like an interactive movie without much challenge for most of the time, that can be played rather casually.

Is it just me or are the colors a bit weird in the beach scene in the beginning? I turned up brightness a couple of notches, mayhap that is the cause.

I've been playing this game again in anticipation for the sequel, it really still is great. The shooting feels as fun as a dedicated shooter like gears, it has platforming that's intense, even if it is simplistic, and the presentation and graphics are the best on consoles.

Just completed the Borneo chapter and I must say, the combat seems much better than in Drake's Fortune so far. And Easy mode is actually easy now (even a bit too easy maybe, was shocked to see bad guys miss me from really close). But maybe it gets harder later.

Borneo is a pretty nice segment. Quite UC1-ish, yet also gives you a brief taste of the craziness in store going forward.

Borneo is a pretty nice segment. Quite UC1-ish, yet also gives you a brief taste of the craziness in store going forward.

It didn't even seem that UC1-ish to me. But man, the Urban Warfare chapter and the following (which I'm in the middle of I think) are awesome!

I'm getting close to the end, I think -- completed the car chase after the tank battle. So far, the game has been really amazing visually. I didn't think there would be that big a difference between this and Drake's Fortune, but the variety compared to the Jungle + Ruins setting of the first one really adds a lot to the mix.

And the combat is really much better. Even as the bad guys are sometimes similarly triggered, it seems more predictable somehow -- they are not spawning from behind random trees in the jungle. The fact that easy difficulty is actually easy now also helps. There's still a bit too much combat for my taste, but thanks to the stealth options, set pieces and more distinct enviornments, it's much more tolerable.

I think it's interesting you find such a difference between the two, I mean I know there are some improvements but I wouldn't have thought they'd have changed someones overall perception of combat. Glad to see I'm wrong though and that you're now enjoying the game. Just remember something about a crossbow for on a later level (a level that will make your jaw drop) because apparently that will save you a lot of heartache.

Finished it. The final chapters were too combat-focused -- no time to admire the nice views -- and I actually liked the game more up to that Tibetan village. But still, this game is pretty amazing for such a linear experience.

Finished it. The final chapters were too combat-focused -- no time to admire the nice views -- and I actually liked the game more up to that Tibetan village. But still, this game is pretty amazing for such a linear experience.

That is exactly the point that I started (slightly) losing my interest in the game.

I thought absolutely everything was spot on apart from the gorilla guys. I understand why they were so frigging strong and everything, but it was really quite frustrating killing them sometimes and stealth went completely out the window — whereas practically every encounter up to that point could be handled with stealth and tactics, it was pretty much a case of 'retreat while madly firing in a panic' with those.

With that said, when I played through the second time using the tranquilliser gun throughout I was pleased to find it takes those fuckers out in one shot too. :tup:

With that said, when I played through the second time using the tranquilliser gun throughout I was pleased to find it takes those fuckers out in one shot too. :tup:

Does that unlock after the first playthrough? And you don't need to find ammo for it?

Correct on both counts. Makes the game way more fun IMO because you can properly play the whole thing Metal Gear Solid-style, whereas with vanilla UC2 stealth is incredibly hard to maintain due to the need to melee everyone. I got through most of the game raising few alerts (which immediately throws an extra 5–10 enemies into the mix).