toblix

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

I just read yet another comment about Uncharted 2, but this time, for some reason, I suddenly started looking forward to it with extreme vigour. I remembered how awesome Uncharted was, how well-polished, great-looking and well-ending it was, and now I almost can't wait. Apparently it comes out in a couple of weeks. I also noticed there was no proper thread for it here, which is often the case for these close-to-release triple-aye titles.

I wonder if my PS3 still works.

I'm currently obsessed with beating the demo's co-op objective map on Crushing difficulty. I'm fairly excited for this game, partly because I know someone who's willing to play through all the cooperative missions with me. I still wish Drake had smoother transitions between animations and better collision code but it feels a bit better than what I remember of the first game.

The original is one of my top few favourites of this generation, so yeah I'm massively excited about this. I absolutely love the atmosphere, reminds me a lot of Broken Sword crossed with Indiana Jones.

I've been on a bit of a media blackout as I want to experience the story unspoilt, however the 'Fortune Favors' trailer has gotten me so in the mood for it it's going to really piss me off that Brutal Legend comes out on the same day. ;(

The original is one of my top few favourites of this generation, so yeah I'm massively excited about this. I absolutely love the atmosphere, reminds me a lot of Broken Sword crossed with Indiana Jones.

Pretty much agree with this. Really looking forward to it as well.

Non-coop multiplayer and I don't get along though. It makes it frustrating because I don't know exactly what I'm doing wrong. I just find myself not succeeding a lot times.

I'll just stick to singleplayer.

I never touched the first game. All the hype and expectation about Uncharted 2 makes me want to pick it up on the cheap.

I'll probably just pick up Uncharted 2 when it comes out though, can't really face yet another addition to my massive pile in the "going to play really soon, honest" section.

This game looks rad.

I'm, for some reason, amazing at the versus for this. Almost every match I'm ranked top (with the best k/d ratio as well), and I suck at every other online game. It's nice to actually be good at one.

I think I'll get the game. Liked the first one quite a bit, and this looks to have ironed out some of its issues.

I just jumped on board the PS3 train with the slim and have been burning my way through the first one. It's balance of shooty stuff versus other stuff is more on the shooty side than I'd like, but it's pretty awesome.

I hope #2 has less shooty stuff or improved shooty stuff. Er, the on foot shooty stuff anyways. I thought the sequence where you're firing from the back of a car was pretty sweet. And the on foot sequences could have been a lot better if they gave you more chances to take out guys from farther away instead of having you trip over an invisible line and a zillion guys pop out of nowhere.

From what I've tried of the multiplayer demo, at the very least, the mapping of controls for using grenades is improved.

The impression I got from the multiplayer demo was that the shooting has been made a lot more interesting, however that could just be because humans are so much more interesting to play against than CPUs.

Yeah I'd agree that the sheer amount of shooting in Uncharted does get a bit annoying sometimes, which is why I had to play it in short sessions over quite a long time.

The fact that it can be flawed in that respect yet still be so loved by a lot of people is a good indication of how awesome the other components are, though (story, characters, environment, atmosphere, etc). The fact they may very well nail that issue and have an almost perfect experience is what excites me so much about Uncharted 2.

I never played the first game, but I just got the demo for this one. It looks great! I'm hoping that it will be a nice split between the shooty stuff which I am poop at and the jumpy, puzzly, finding-stuffy stuff which I am not poop at.

Also, the main character reminds me of the captain guy from Firefly for some reason.

Also, the main character reminds me of the captain guy from Firefly for some reason.

I think he's supposed to :)

I have heard many people refer to it as "Indiana Jones written by Joss Whedon." Usually those people also say that Fillion should play Drake in the event of a movie adaptation.

I have heard many people refer to it as "Indiana Jones written by Joss Whedon." Usually those people also say that Fillion should play Drake in the event of a movie adaptation.

Natha Fillion should play everything and everyone.

Well, I just got this today, and what can I say? It's great. I think I'm about halfway through. I'm still having some of the same issues with the platforming, but everything else makes me quickly forget the occasional frustration. It's nice to see some non-jungle environments, too.

Yeah you're right, the platforming seems to have been taken almost unaltered from the first game (except for the six axis control, which I think everyone will be glad to see gone).

But the combat, my god the combat is exceptional. The first game's combat suffered from having all the same enemy's in all the same sort of environments, but in this one there are so many unique encounters, and set pieces.

I used to roll my eyes when I heard Naughty Dog talk about what a big feat it was to make the train level since it's an actual moving train. But ya know what, having to adjust your aim because the train is taking a turn is just awesome.

Ooh! It's out?

I really want to get this one too.

I never played the first one, and although the trailers of it look pretty awesome too, I've heard it's really short. Does anyone who played the first one (that may be everyone but me, actually) think that it's worth it? Would you recommend playing that before this one?

As I've played through it twice and it's one of my favorite games of this generation, yeah, I think Drake's Fortune is worth a look. Seriously, go get it now. We'll talk when you're finished.

I'm hearing too many god damn awesome things about this game! I have to steal my brother's PS3 or something.

So I've been playing it for the last 5 hours or so (a couple of tries at coop objective mode plus single player) and it's freaking awesome.

The multiplayer matchmaking still takes what seems like *forever* though. It's a shame because plunder mode + plaza map is wicked fun. I'm going to have to pace myself on the single player or else I'll burn through it this weekend.

I almost forgot to order this. I'm not sure how that happened, because the first game was great.

Ooh! It's out?

I really want to get this one too.

I never played the first one, and although the trailers of it look pretty awesome too, I've heard it's really short. Does anyone who played the first one (that may be everyone but me, actually) think that it's worth it? Would you recommend playing that before this one?

The problem with the first game was not that it was too short, if anything it wore out it's welcome. You don't need to play it to appreciate the sequel.

Just get Uncharted 2, it's everything the first one was and then some.

It's pretty awesome, but you already knew that.

My only complaint would be that it's really, really linear. Or very streamlined I guess. Either way it feels more like an experience and less like a game, but I can't decide if that's a good or bad thing. It's certainly an amazing experience, a well crafted story that starts strong and never lets up with its relentless adventure. I'll certainly play through it a few times and dip into the multiplayer to see if it grabs me, and that amount of consumption signifies a very strong game to me, but there's still something missing from the formula here. Even in a Tomb Raider there is the ability to further explore an environment and get lost a bit seeking tertiary treasures, but here it just seems as if they are hidden in the existing rooms better so that there is less actual exploration and more just finding. Still, I haven't even discovered half of them so maybe I'm just not trying hard enough. It's really hard to stop and search when the narrative pushes me forward so strongly.

And man is it gorgeous. I think they must be utilizing an SPU just for rendering Tibetan flags.

Wow. First 3 chapters completed. This game is beautiful. The only things I've noticed breaking the illusion are that your tracks in the snow disappear after about 10 seconds and there's something really creepy about Chloe's eyes. Like, really creepy. I can't take too much of any scene with her in it. All the other characters are fine, so I don't know what it is about her. Maybe they thought that dewey eyes were more attractive and just went way overboard with the gloss? I dunno, can't quite put my finger on it. Weirds me out though.

Yes Miffy, yes, Every time the camera got a close up on Chloe I started wondering what it was about her that made her stick out so strangely. How is it in a game this polished that she made it through looking as she does.