Sign in to follow this  
brkl

PS3 owners: question

So I'm moving to a new place and my tv and speakers are going to be in another room to my 'puter. Can you network your PS3 with your computer so that you can watch downloaded tv series, listen music and such? So either direct streaming or easy copying from the computer to the PS3. And of course the thing should support common codecs and stuff.

I don't know how much I'd use it for gaming (apart from BRUTAL LEGEND), but the Blu-ray thing is somehow more appealing to me now than before.

I have all my media on a network drive (Lacie Ethernet Mini) that is UPnP compatible and it shows as a media drive in my PS3. I can use it to stream or copy photos, music and videos. I'm not sure what video formats PS3 supports but it should be pretty easy to find out. It does support MP3 Surround though so you can test your speakers with some neat songs you can find on the internet (all three of them).

There are many applications that can be used to stream stuff from PC to PS3. I haven't tried any of those, though, so I don't know which to recommend. PS3 Media Server could work.

I hooked up my PS3 to my PC. I'd recommend PS3 Media Server. I used TVersity and this other thing for a while, but in comparison PS3MS is so much easier to use and so much more straightforward. Not to mention that if your PC is fast enough, it'll transcode video files to something the PS3 will understand.

Here is a list of PS3 supported codecs.

Hmmh, thanks for the replies. PS3 seems to pretty crap about file formats. I might get a 360 after all, even though it's huge and loud and ugly compared to the new PS3.

Does 360 support that much more codecs then? I've never had a 360 and my google skills have failed me, as I only get 2 year old news posts.

My brother's 360 played all of the series I copied to a USB stick without problems. The transcoding stuff doesn't appeal to me.

If you use Vuze it will convert files prior to streaming rather than on the fly, and tbh I've encountered maybe 2 files the PS3 wouldn't play and I use it an awful lot.

Also, Blu-ray support on 360 is said to be pretty horrible.

just get TVersity, select the folders you want to share and there you have it, you'll be able to stream anything from your computer. it's really easy to set up and it works pretty much flawlessly given that your PC has a decent processor and your network isn't screwed up for any reason

just get TVersity, select the folders you want to share and there you have it, you'll be able to stream anything from your computer. it's really easy to set up and it works pretty much flawlessly given that your PC has a decent processor and your network isn't screwed up for any reason

TVersity is bloaty. It's what I previously used. PS3 Media Server just lets you browse to any place on your PC HDD without having to add everything manually. It's much less of a hassle, for me at least.

If you haven't used PS3MS before, I really recommend that you try it out. :)

Well, I bought the thing. It's sleek. The texture and colour of a heavy metal guitarist's vinyl pants.

PS3MS works like a charm. F-Secure Client Security did not work with it, though, but I should've changed to native 64-bit software anyway. I am not yet horrified at having spent the money.

Glad it works. Your movie player/streaming device coincidentally also plays video games; you should check some out. :D

Just keep playing. You'll start dreaming in Noby Noby, never understanding the compulsion to return. Then you realize, my god, you're having fun.

I think I broke it. My BOY fades out and jumps out the chimney again and again because he's so long parts of him just fall off the map. I could make him shorter if I wanted to (I don't). I do like the technicolor Kafkaesque feel of it :x

NOBY NOBY NOBY BOY NOBY NOBY NOBY BOY NOBY NOBY NOBY NOBY BOY