ThunderPeel2001

Google Wave

I finally got it and added all y'all. Mine is the same as my forum username. Am I too late to this party?

Guess so!

I also did not know there was a party!

I'm not sold on Google Wave at all. I've had a few cool conversations with people, but it's not doing anything (so far) that an e-mail sent to three addresses at once wouldn't do.

Also, the main inbox column is hopelessly crowded.

Yeah, it's sad, but the wave has totally crashed for me. As a amusing as it was dicking around on it, I just can't even be bothered to sign in to it anymore... What's the point?

They need to integrate it with normal email.

Yeah, it's sad, but the wave has totally crashed for me. As a amusing as it was dicking around on it, I just can't even be bothered to sign in to it anymore... What's the point?

They need to integrate it with normal email.

I think they're planning to (with limited functionality, of course) in the end. I'm not sure, that feature-length video was pretty dense with material.

I was enjoying the Thumb Wave, but I understand that there wasn't much to keep it going. Still think that once one or two of my friends / my girlfriend get on there, it will pretty much replace our current communication, which is a haphazard mix of IM, email and copious link anyway.

I think it's one of those things like twitter, where the utility of it might not become apparent for quite a while. I could see us using this at work, in particular there are some email conversations I've had with designers that would have been much easier as waves.

I dunno, my friends and I have been having a lot of fun with it. It's not hard for me to imagine it taking the place of email and chat for most of my online interactions with them once it gets a bit more polished. But then, I am a sucker for gimmicky internet things.

I'm sorry to have missed out on the Thumbs-related wackiness.

I think it's one of those things like twitter, where the utility of it might not become apparent for quite a while. I could see us using this at work, in particular there are some email conversations I've had with designers that would have been much easier as waves.

Yeah, the only time I've been using Wave and thinking "this actually might be an option" was in a work conversation. It has been an upgrade from IM when it comes to discussing work with people in different time zones.

I can actually see how Google Wave could make some aspects of the project(s) I'm currently working on quite a lot simpler. I would probably still use it mostly for stupid things though.

It strikes me as slightly clumsy for ordinary IM-style chats, but quite handy for collaborating on a thing or holding discussions among more than two people. I also like how the waves sort of exist independently of the participants, so at any time, people can drop in or out. If there's something going on at that moment you can participate in real time, or you can just leave your contributions and come back to it later and use the playback thing to catch up on what you missed.

I think it has a lot of potential (especially as a protocol and not just a thing on a single web site), but it will probably take a while to figure out how to make the most of it. I just hope that enough people will stick with it long enough for that to happen.

I like how the profile settings, etc. are all waves as well. Shows off the power of waves.

I'm sure I'll use it at some point (invite please!), but it'll probably be when its added to something like Pidgin/Trillian. Until then, I'm just going to be curmudgeonly and not care about it.

I've yet to be invited to the beta, but I agree that it'll make more sense when the access isn't so limited and it's in the hands of the community at large.

Personally, I plan to use it for game design documentation, provided I can restrict who can see and edit things, like GoogleDocs (My current solution). I'm assuming it'll be an option for now.

I'm also hoping it handles things like images in a way that's easier to mess with, having trouble integrating concepting into the current documentation pipeline...

I've just been invited from Google last night so I've added all you thumbs to my contacts. I am jmoeller1 @ googlewave.com. It says I have 20 invites so if anyone still doesn't have one I am willing to send them out, I am thinking they are doling out invites more and more now though. Maybe just coincidence but a friend of mine and myself got them at the same time.

Man, will they ever optimize this stuff? It is still sluggish in every browser I tried it in. :hmph:

Edit: kingzjester's me name for the interested.

Man, will they ever optimize this stuff? It is still sluggish in every browser I tried it in. :hmph:

Edit: kingzjester's me name for the interested.

Yeah I have finally gotten some time to fool around with it and I am continually being signed off. I know it's beta or whatever but I figured it'd be a little more polished.

I kind of have 21 invites, if anyone would like 1,2 or even 3 throw me a pm.