MrHoatzin

Film editing software suggestions

I've been meaning to get back into toying with video again, but I don't have a fancy mac at home. All I have is this PC that is now pushing five or six years old, but it still has a Pentium 4, 3GHz, 2.5GB of RAM, which is not something I feel inclined to scoff at.

I've only ever worked with Final Cut and some iMovie. I prefer the former, the latter's gimpy toolset I find quite infuriating. Though I don't really see myself needing much fanciness right out of the gate, I like knowing that I could, if I needed to, do more complex things.

What software would you suggest I try out?

I edit video professionally and I swear by Avid, but it's ridiculously expensive unless you're a student (then it's only amusingly expensive). They used to have a gimped free version that you could download and play around with, but I think they discontinued it.

It's all about preferences I guess. I use Premiere, but if I had a Mac I'd use FinalCut. All video programmes share their oftentimes infuriating lack of control and weird glitches though.

I have a couple of friends in the multimedia industry and they all say Avid. They also mentioned, like Shammack, that it's quite expensive.

I hope that that is in any way useful information. :crazy:

Avid strikes me as powerful but highly unintuitive. I'll look into it, tho.

I generally don't use anything besides FCP or Avid, but Premiere has supposed to have gotten better (I haven't used it for six years), and there are a few cool (but rarely used) features to edit filmstrips in Photoshop.

Other than that your only real option on the PC is Vegas, but I think you'd be better off with Premiere.

Thread necromancy: does anyone have any good suggestions for basic video editing apps for an iPhone? Essentially I want to make a video of me learning a beat on the drums/a section on guitar and film a 5-7 second clip as I learn it and progress until I finally have it down. It's mainly for my own motivational reasons, and I find the learning process for any subject really fascinating. So yeah, just a video editing app that I can string and drum a bunch of individual clips together? I might even upload the video on here just so everyone can see my sick drumming skills.

P.S. I've just started learning to play drums so I actually suck at them, 

I used to use a combination of Sony Vegas and Adobe After Effects, though as stated, it is almost entirely based on personal preference.