Chris

Idle Thumbs 45: Episode Forty-Five

Oh, and until yesterday I confused Dave Gilbert with Dave Grossman... Maybe because his name is a fusion of Grossman's and Ron Gilbert's?

Somewhere out there is my long lost twin brother, Ron Grossman.

I don't know about Australia, but in the UK they're very different to Twix. Little biscuit balls wrapped in a caramel tube coated in chocolate is an approximate description. I go through phases of loving them and having to eat them frequently to not eating them for a couple of years.

The main reason I never mentioned it to you guys (Chris, Jake, Nick) is that I had no idea it didn't exist in the states. It's a fairly common Cadbury's bar and I know Cadbury's has some kind of presence in the US, although the exported versions taste weird.

Cadbury's exists in the US but almost exclusively the Easter related candies (Creme Eggs and spinoffs, mostly). You can find some other Cadbury's candies here but they're almost exclusively in sort of novelty candy shops. Not in a supermarket checkout aisle or whatever.

Cadbury's exists in the US but almost exclusively the Easter related candies (Creme Eggs and spinoffs, mostly). You can find some other Cadbury's candies here but they're almost exclusively in sort of novelty candy shops. Not in a supermarket checkout aisle or whatever.

Novelty candy shops? I can't decide if that sounds awesome or not. I'd probably be disappointed if I walked into one and wasn't greeted with Gene Wilder being completely insane.

Living in the US these days, I do miss chocolate. Although I do like a Baby Ruth bar.

Living in the US these days, I do miss chocolate. Although I do like a Baby Ruth bar.

I finished school in Bray, (a town a bit south of Dublin) and put away many a dairy milk. I keep trying to get my housemate to try a flake, but he won't, the big loser. They're around but you've got to hunt.

Novelty candy shops? I can't decide if that sounds awesome or not. I'd probably be disappointed if I walked into one and wasn't greeted with Gene Wilder being completely insane.

"Novelty" is probably too strong a word, especially since they're starting to become chains. Places like Powell's.

When I was in Paris I kept eating Bueno and drinking Orangina out of the subway machines. I miss the stuff even though it was probably terrible for me.

They sell that Cadbury 's Fruit and Nut bar at Target year round.

Fascinating.

Made by Hershey, this one is pretty widespread. Tastes rubbish though, nothing like the real thing. That broke my heart not long ago. In New York there are a few shops that import ALL of the English chocolate bars and sell them to expats like me for exhorbitant amounts of cash. I paid $12 for a small bottle of Ribena once. I had to turn tricks in order to afford milk chocolate hobnobs.

Made by Hershey, this one is pretty widespread. Tastes rubbish though, nothing like the real thing. That broke my heart not long ago. In New York there are a few shops that import ALL of the English chocolate bars and sell them to expats like me for exhorbitant amounts of cash. I paid $12 for a small bottle of Ribena once. I had to turn tricks in order to afford milk chocolate hobnobs.

I sort of figured it was a scam. Just like the Orangina available here in the States is actually not the same as the stuff available in France, since it's bottled by Mott's.

So Hershey have been masquerading as Cadbury's eh? No wonder I thought the Cadbury's stuff over there tasted weird!

I don't know about Australia, but in the UK they're very different to Twix. Little biscuit balls wrapped in a caramel tube coated in chocolate is an approximate description. I go through phases of loving them and having to eat them frequently to not eating them for a couple of years.

The only difference between that and a Twix is the shape of the biscuit/cookie in the candy bar...

...and probably the quality of the chocolate,

Oh man, you don't get hobnobs over there? Harsh.

heh.. You can get them in the "specialty" sections at some grocery stores for colossal prices. As for me, I long for a penguin bar.... ahh.....

The only difference between that and a Twix is the shape of the biscuit/cookie in the candy bar...

It makes a massive difference to the texture of the bar, the Twix has a much denser caramel log sitting atop a biscuit bar, it's more rigid and brittle.

Whereas the Boost's small biscuit balls are suspended in a soft potentially chocolate based substance and the surrounding caramel is a thin layer, making it much softer and more flexible.

Agh!! I've had those 20 second clips of the two songs stuck in my head for a day and a half! I've even tried to go find the guy on myspace so I can at least hear the whole things... but , alas.. Marvin Weinberg is retarded.

:frusty:

Agh!! I've had those 20 second clips of the two songs stuck in my head for a day and a half! I've even tried to go find the guy on myspace so I can at least hear the whole things... but , alas.. Marvin Weinberg is retarded.

:frusty:

As retarded as retarded can be

Same here! You can find the Brotherman Bill one on youtube.

Also,
is on youtube

I much prefer this version of Amanda:

Sadly, the first one is the version on the album.

The full version of Marvin Weinberg, as far as I'm aware, is only available on the album. You can buy it here:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/terribletim

HAH! I have to say, that dude's picture on the album cover is pretty much exactly what I wanted him to look like..

Oh man.. I just listened to brotherman bill on youtube.. Major public laughing incident...

Edited by Fuzzy Lobster

old wrappers were better.

3646862058_57ff787fb9.jpg

I got a Guarana one packaged with a games magazine years ago. I'm sure it was OPS2's Soul Calibur II review issue.

It tasted horrible.