Sign in to follow this  
Korax

Half-Minute Hero

The demo came out on PSN a little while ago, but it kind of throws you into a later quest with minimal explanation of the game mechanics.

Fortunately, Giant Bomb did a Quick Look of it, which happens to be a much better demo of the game than the demo that the demo demoed...

Sorry, my brain froze for a second there. Anyway, seems like I'll be dusting off my PSP in about a month, because it looks awesome.

Hmmmm.... Looks... rad?

Dang it, it looks like I'll be picking up a PSP in the next few months. I used to own one but I traded it in because I never used it. PSN is starting to make me change my mind. Suikoden on the go? Yes.

If more awesomeness like this hits PSN (and I do hope the awesomeness promised by the quick look is there), I might have no choice.

Yeah, it's something that's making me happy I own a PSP. Psyched for the release of this one for sure.

I was hearing about it on podcasts a few months back, and the concept sounded hilarious. I'm very interested.

I tried the demo and even though it had a steep difficulty curve it still left me with a very positive opinion of it. Sure you die frequently but there is very little barrier to entry and it's usually pretty easy to spot where you goofed up.

It's pretty fun as a demo, but I have to wonder if there is really enough here to build a complete game out of.

it looks fantastic from the GiantBomb quick look. Wish it came out on a different platform, too.

Got so many bases covered and am still missing out on some fun stuff, I wish I had too much money to burn through on gaming.

I love the humor in this game, it really looks like a love letter to old school rpgs, with knowing winks in the dialogue and presentation. I'd heard of it from a friend but the QL totally sold me on it (as always).

In Knight and Wizard mode, players must exterminate all the monsters by protecting the wizard and waiting for the timer to reach zero

Was putting off homework watching Giant Bomb quicklooks, and god damn I need this game now. Can't wait.

The humour looks pretty cute, and I like how hectic it is. it would be fun to play co-op, though I am not sure how you would do that.

Been playing it for most of the last few days, and it's excellent. Hero is probably my favourite style so far, just because it's actually quite divergent. There's a lot of different ways to go at things.

I just did a level where I aligned myself with a demon, who I can only use 3 more times before he "Absorbs my soul". Pretty neat.

Been playing it for most of the last few days, and it's excellent. Hero is probably my favourite style so far, just because it's actually quite divergent. There's a lot of different ways to go at things.

Roughly how many hours you figure you've put in? I enjoyed the demo but it didn't seem like the fun would last for long. Was my impression wrong?

Roughly how many hours you figure you've put in? I enjoyed the demo but it didn't seem like the fun would last for long. Was my impression wrong?

Only about 2/3 so far, but it varies, time is kinda relative in the game. I'll assume you've seen the Giantbomb video for the purpose of this post.

Basically, I've been focusing on "Hero 30" which is the basic 8 bit RPG part of the game. While it is somewhat samey, there's some sort of charm to it which makes me unable to put it down. There's a number of different ways to beat each level, some even leading to new paths. For example:

Early on in the "Campaign" (Level 3/4) you get a weapon which can one hit bugs, but not hit anything else. Now, when you get up to mission 8/9, there's a huge beetle, which is impossible to beat normally. However, because I took the chance to unlock the flyswatter, I could take a different path, and unlock new items for the later levels.

Furthermore, I THINK I just had to undertake a moral choice, but they hid it in plain sight, for want of a better analogy. Basically, there's a crossroads where I could either go north, and recruit a cleric (Good) or go south, and align myself with a demon (Bad).

Personally, I'm loving it, and I can see myself playing through the game(For once). I touched momentarily on "Princess 30" which is a take on dual joystick shooters, and "Evil Lord 30" which is a basic RTS. What's interesting is that there's a number of other gametypes yet, which I haven't unlocked yet.

All in all, the fun factor does seem to keep coming, The writing is excellent, very self referencial, and it really urges me to keep on playing

I hope I answered your question.

Only about 2/3 so far, but it varies, time is kinda relative in the game. I'll assume you've seen the Giantbomb video for the purpose of this post.

Basically, I've been focusing on "Hero 30" which is the basic 8 bit RPG part of the game. While it is somewhat samey, there's some sort of charm to it which makes me unable to put it down. There's a number of different ways to beat each level, some even leading to new paths. For example:

Early on in the "Campaign" (Level 3/4) you get a weapon which can one hit bugs, but not hit anything else. Now, when you get up to mission 8/9, there's a huge beetle, which is impossible to beat normally. However, because I took the chance to unlock the flyswatter, I could take a different path, and unlock new items for the later levels.

Furthermore, I THINK I just had to undertake a moral choice, but they hid it in plain sight, for want of a better analogy. Basically, there's a crossroads where I could either go north, and recruit a cleric (Good) or go south, and align myself with a demon (Bad).

Personally, I'm loving it, and I can see myself playing through the game(For once). I touched momentarily on "Princess 30" which is a take on dual joystick shooters, and "Evil Lord 30" which is a basic RTS. What's interesting is that there's a number of other gametypes yet, which I haven't unlocked yet.

All in all, the fun factor does seem to keep coming, The writing is excellent, very self referencial, and it really urges me to keep on playing

I hope I answered your question.

Cool, thanks for the impressions man. I'm going to pick this up for sure.

Cool, thanks for the impressions man. I'm going to pick this up for sure.

It's pretty sweet dude, I really like it. The further you get, the more shit you have to do. At the start, it's just "Kill a few mans, heal up, get more time and go do stuff", but later on it's like "DEstroy all the cannons so you can recruit a berserker who will change the way the boss fights"

I think I'm at about 60/70% through "Hero mode" at the moment, and I'm kinda sad to see it end. In a weird way however, it's hard to play it in huge bursts, because it KIND OF drags over.

I'll post thoughts on the other gametypes when I play them :P

So I got it and I've been playing Hero 30. It's a really fun game, I was expecting to enjoy it and it's exceeding my expectations so that can't be bad!