Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Majesty 2

God, this is hard. Anyone playing this? I never played the first one, and the basic mechanic--essentially offering bounties to your hero units to complete tasks, rather than having direct control over them--is fascinating and cool, but it seems like I'm just constantly inundated by more enemies than I can handle.

Well, your post at least got me to look at it on Steam. Doesn't look like my cup of tea, honestly. While I appreciate them, I don't have enough dedicated gaming time to sink into a game that slow paced. Still, it does look really interesting. Seems like the kind of game I'll love hearing about and talking with people about but will never actually get into myself.

God, this is hard. Anyone playing this? I never played the first one, and the basic mechanic--essentially offering bounties to your hero units to complete tasks, rather than having direct control over them--is fascinating and cool, but it seems like I'm just constantly inundated by more enemies than I can handle.

Been playing for a few days now, it's good fun and has this sleep-depravating effect.

For me, the main difficulty is to get the "right" combination of buildings and heroes built quickly, to reach the point where the settlement for the most part will defend itself without much intervention. "right" varies from level to level, but there's usually priests there to keep heroes alive and a marketplace to keep the economy afloat.

Also; upgrade your inn and create parties, it did wonders for the survivability of mages, the other classes of heroes usually have enough health to survive fleeing.

I only recently heard about it and it caught my interest. The way it was initially described to me makes it seem a bit like dwarf fortress in that you don't directly control anything, instead you build infrastructure and set goals to try and entice the adventurers to do what you want. That sort of gameplay seems potentially really interesting to me, but i've heard greatly varying accounts of it since then so I don't know if I should pick it up or not.

I only recently heard about it and it caught my interest. The way it was initially described to me makes it seem a bit like dwarf fortress in that you don't directly control anything, instead you build infrastructure and set goals to try and entice the adventurers to do what you want. That sort of gameplay seems potentially really interesting to me, but i've heard greatly varying accounts of it since then so I don't know if I should pick it up or not.

There's a demo available from their website, which should give a small taste of the game. Only features two missions, the first tutorial-mission and one skirmish (i think) mission which I failed miserably at.

Comparing to DF, you could probably call Majesty 2 a "light version" of DF. It lacks the depth of DF, but has a more appealing presentation. DF also seems open ended and replayable with it's random-world-generating-goodness, whereas with Majesty 2, I'm not sure if there's much more when I'm done with the campaign.

Edited by Kreyszig

I quite like it. The mechanic itself is definitely flawed, relying on the AI to take care of everything will never be perfect, but it's a nice change from standard strategy games.

It's kind of like watching a simulated MMO where you set the quests.

The quick look certainly looked interesting. Podcast said there was a demo, is it on steam?

I couldn't find the demo at steam so I had to resort to the Majesty 2 website.

The original was great, but only for a couple of days. Don't see any point in playing a remake, the first one is pretty much as good as a game like that can get. I really doubt they've improved any mechanics or anything.

I found that the first Majesty was a game that was really fun for playing through all at once. I always start on the first missions if I want to play Majesty. I don't own Majesty 2, but I want it. Has anyone heard anything about the DS version?

At $10 on Steam today, it was too hard for me to pass up. I just sunk two hours into it, and it's really sweet. I didn't expect it to make me chuckle either, so consider that a pleasant surprise. I don't know if I'd recommend it for the $40 regular price, but damn am I happy I jumped on that deal.

I played the shit out of the first one, it was pretty horrifyingly hard too, sometimes I would just give up on it for a week out of frustration which is pretty much one of the only game that made me do that (the two Thrones battle with the twin boss made me puke my brains out too).

In the long term, the sad thing was, wait… Yes, you barely have enough money to do anything in the first one so you have to let it play for a long time with sewers spawning in your city allowing your heroes to level up and your money coming up, it was a slow game but over that, letting it play by itself for half a day and coming back a billionaire with level 70 heroes has been the only way for me to really achieve anything in the hardest missions of the game.

Don't know about that one though.

In the long term, the sad thing was, wait… Yes, you barely have enough money to do anything in the first one so you have to let it play for a long time with sewers spawning in your city

I'm going to get that game now (the first one) the idea of pulling a medieval-fantasy hooverville out of the muck by the skin of it's teeth sounds awesome.

Well, your post at least got me to look at it on Steam. Doesn't look like my cup of tea, honestly. While I appreciate them, I don't have enough dedicated gaming time to sink into a game that slow paced. Still, it does look really interesting. Seems like the kind of game I'll love hearing about and talking with people about but will never actually get into myself.

Well, I'm an idiot. I take back this post. After picking up the game on Friday(ish?) I absolutely love it. This is fantastic. I never thought I'd be so damn proud of those little AI heroes when they pull something off. I'm finding that priority whenever I start a level is Clerics Guild, Market, Defence Towers, Rangers Guild. After that, just build whatever seems necessary. When you have a decent squad of Clerics to keep health topped up and a couple of high level rangers to open up the map, the rest just flows beautifully.

I really wish this game were $20 regular. At that price, I could easily recommend it to everyone. The $10 I paid feels like a bit of a steal, but I would have difficulty saying anyone but a huge strategy fan should pick it up for the price it is. $40 is too much for this game, honestly. $20 (maybe even $30) would be ideal. Still, if you're a strategy person, give it a shot. I'm not at all and I still love it.

Goddamn, I just can't stop playing. It's 4:30 in the morning on Christmas eve and I'm sitting up playing Majesty 2 on my laptop at the parents' house. It's too damned addictive. I actually went back and bought Majesty 1 when I saw it was $5 on the current Steam sale. It has Warcraft 2 graphics and interface (despite being made in 2001!) but under all the archaic trappings a pretty good game seems to exist.

I just beat the last of the Advanced difficulty missions. 5 Expert ones left to go. Shit, I don't think I've ever been this addicted to a strategy game. The last reigning champion was Heroes of Might and Magic 3, but even that I didn't get that much time with.