Sign in to follow this  
Patters

Odious Tea

One thing that irrates me a little with H3 and ODST is that the sheer amount of invisible walls, opposed to those in H1 and H2. Particularly the latter, playing the game a lot just to climb around looking for the Skulls.

Finally finished the campaign (thanks, real life and other video games).

I really enjoyed it, though I do wonder if I'd have had an even better time if I remembered ANYTHING from Halo 3's story except for the very end.

Finally finished the campaign (thanks, real life and other video games).

I really enjoyed it, though I do wonder if I'd have had an even better time if I remembered ANYTHING from Halo 3's story except for the very end.

I don't remember the slightest thing about the story in any of the Halo games except vaguely I guess that the humans are fighting aliens called the Covenant and at one point there was a planet that was shaped like a halo.

I don't remember the slightest thing about the story in any of the Halo games except vaguely I guess that the humans are fighting aliens called the Covenant and at one point there was a planet that was shaped like a halo.

I remember that there were some Flood things that broke the pace of Halo's fundamental gameplay, too. And maybe some prophets or something.

I remember that there were some Flood things that broke the pace of Halo's fundamental gameplay, too. And maybe some prophets or something.

Yeah the flood was the goddamn worst. I was so glad they went away for ODST. The flying guys were pretty bad, but not as bad as the flood.

Yeah the flood was the goddamn worst. I was so glad they went away for ODST. The flying guys were pretty bad, but not as bad as the flood.

At least they were better in 3 than in 2 or 1.

Oh, man, absolutely. I'm going through the game a second time on heroic (went through at normal difficulty, the first time) and swarms of those guys are completely destructive. I don't know if I could take them in Legendary...

Could this game be good enough for me if the only FPS I've found interesting enough to finish in the past 5 or so years are Far Cry 2, BioShock and Half-Lives?

Also, I haven't played any of the Halo games and no console FPS-s at all.

Oh, man, absolutely. I'm going through the game a second time on heroic (went through at normal difficulty, the first time) and swarms of those guys are completely destructive. I don't know if I could take them in Legendary...

They're a pain in Legendary. To me they totally break Halo. In a console shooter I feel like my success should not be wholly dependent on quick aiming, since console shooters aren't very good at that, but there's really hardly any other strategy to kill these goddamn guys.

Could this game be good enough for me if the only FPS I've found interesting enough to finish in the past 5 or so years are Far Cry 2, BioShock and Half-Lives?

Also, I haven't played any of the Halo games and no console FPS-s at all.

I would say that ODST is among the better linear console FPS games. I'd recommend it over the previous Halo games with respect to the three games you mentioned, because it's at least as open as Bioshock and Half-Life 2. And really, as far as console FPS games go, the controls don't get any better than in the Halo and Call of Duty franchises.

They're a pain in Legendary. To me they totally break Halo. In a console shooter I feel like my success should not be wholly dependent on quick aiming, since console shooters aren't very good at that, but there's really hardly any other strategy to kill these goddamn guys.

I never had a problem with the buggers until this game. I played through Halo 2 and Heroic and Halo 3 on Legendary but until this game, I always thought the threat of the buggers was minimal but in this game I began tearing my hair out during Data Hive. I was playing on Heroic and had no strategy to get through them, simplying restarting again and again until I finally lucked out and got through. I had no idea what I did differently. I just started a Legendary game but have no idea what I will do when I get to them again.

Hate those things.

I never had a problem with the buggers until this game. I played through Halo 2 and Heroic and Halo 3 on Legendary but until this game, I always thought the threat of the buggers was minimal but in this game I began tearing my hair out during Data Hive. I was playing on Heroic and had no strategy to get through them, simplying restarting again and again until I finally lucked out and got through. I had no idea what I did differently. I just started a Legendary game but have no idea what I will do when I get to them again.

Hate those things.

For Buggers the best weapons are: the turret, smg and if you are a good shot the carbine. the most common and probably most efficient way is firing the smg in bursts. either way these all make short work of Buggers.

Hate those things.

I actually just completed Data Hive in my playthrough, and it was really a combination of what Chris was saying (quick aiming, an importance in headshots), prioritization of red buggers (equipped with fast firing elite plasma rifles, they can destroy you in seconds), and using the area underneath the walkway (which is accessible by ladder) to take cover periodically.

That flamethrower you find is great against those bastards, too.

For Buggers the best weapons are: the turret, smg and if you are a good shot the carbine. the most common and probably most efficient way is firing the smg in bursts. either way these all make short work of Buggers.

It's funny to see a British person use the word bugger in a context like this, because: double entendre :grin:.

It's funny to see a British person use the word bugger in a context like this, because: double entendre :grin:.

Yup, I chuckled like the immature thumb that I am every time one of the NPCs cries out "buggers!"

I'm playing firefight with a custom soundtrack of Push Barman to Open Old Wounds. I highly recommend this.

Edit: It works especially charmingly with "The State I Am In"

Ok. This is along the lines of my pollution of the Bayonetta thread with talk about easy settings. And here's the thing: I guess I'm just intimidated by high difficulty settings, but when I actually can get myself to try them, I can easily see their merits. So, I've just started playing firefight on legendary and it's made a great game out of this tedious rehashing. At first I jumped on a turret, and was taken out by one of those absurd purple spaceships before I even had time to aim at it. So, I retreated through a doorway and down a flight of stairs where I found I could wait for one or two grunts to squeeze through the doorway and deal with them in close quarters, and the stairs provided a barrier I could move up the stairs a little as they came in and back up to the lower plane as necessary, and they had a hard time with my shifting elevation. But then they started through grenades down the stairs and I didn't have much room to get out of range. So it's exciting how both sides are constantly adapting to combat conditions and even grunts can mess you up if you're not careful.