ysbreker

Idle thumbs London meet!

today was cool, played some awesome games, met a couple of thumbs (JamesM and Nachimir), seemed like pretty cool guys, Oh James, next time you say you are wearing a space invaders shirt, please make sure there isn't a guy wearing the same fucking shirt about 3 people to your right. Got a free left 4 dead shirt.

Some enjoyable moments included the glitch that happened in the car in heavy rain, and Nachimir thinking I was nevsky.

Note for future reference, Infected toes, hangovers and conventions do not get on.

EDIT: I think I met Eljay when James and I tried Plain Sight (I got confused, I blame lack of sleep, and a hangover)

Thank you all for coming up to the indie thing, it was good to meet so many of you :)

When the screen was fucked I almost went into a flap, but then thought "Room full of people, beer and a megaphone. How can this not be fun?"

It was rapidly going off the rails near the end, we'd almost used all of the bar tab and it was a fairly big one. Mark Morris speaking directly into Chris Delay's face with the megaphone, then the accidental lamp smashing seemed like a suitable end.

Where any of you wearing a Grim Fandango or Dizzy tshirt? I saw two guys standing together wearing said shirts, and screamed excitedly but SOMEhow they didn't hear me. I walked past and then wondered if they were thumbs. But I wanted to seem cool and aloof so I couldn't go back and ask.

OssK has met me and can confirm I am extremely "cool", so you'd better all be nice to me now, or you'll be uncool by unassociation.

EDIT: I think I met Eljay when James and I tried Plain Sight (I got confused, I blame lack of sleep, and a hangover)

I didn't see him. The guy who was telling us what to do was another Beatnik guy who I don't remember the name of (sorry). Eljay has some fantastic facial hair which I'm sure would have left an impression.

Speaking of which, I really liked Plain Sight. I also played VVVVVV on Nachimir's recommendation, and was not disappointed. The indie games section in general was really good, in fact. I think that and attending a couple of the talks made this a more satisfying experience than the previous expo-type-things I've been to before. If you just play the big games, it's mainly stuff you're already decided on and which will probably get a demo anyway. Oh, but I found nVidia's active 3D much more impressive than I'd anticipated.

So, yeah, stuff. Nice to meet Patters, and see Nachimir again. Sorry I didn't get a chance to see anyone else who was there (it turned out my friends were able to get in, after all, as there were tickets on the door from 1 pm).

Hee, if it makes you feel any better Ossk did something similar. You were both quite charming though.

Well, 4 beers is far from enough to get me drunk but here is what happened:

I might be a 4 year old but I really feared that this journey would suck so I went to London (through quite some trouble) already cursing myself for having done so. Yep, I was afraid of what would happen and was so happy that it did not suck that I pretty much said what I thought and how I felt.

The bad part being that it was interesting in the slightest way and I am actually reconsidering writing an article on what I said due to the… more than cold reception my thoughts had. I'll get back to you on this one.

Hey, it's the top of my head!

For more complete reference, in case anyone is interested and doesn't already know:

Top row: OssK, Marek, bbX1138, eljay, guy called Alex who was in charge of the bar tab

Bottom row: me

EDIT: Name correction, thanks Ossk.

Edited by JamesM

Hahahaha, shit. I remembered there were lots of people called it, but apparently I misremembered the name.

Thanks, I like your new profile picture too

You were right, I should have been dancing naked but I would then have been alone on the picture.

Come to think of it that might have interested one person:

special apologies to n0wak for the time that I kissed him. And also for the second time that I kissed him.

Nowak, it'd be great to see more of the pics you took. Are you planning to put them on flickr or something?

Hey guys, my attempts to meet with Idle Thumbers at the Show and Yell was a bit of a disaster it seems! I only spotted Thunderpeel thanks to the pic he had posted earlier and that was pretty much near the end of the night. I was dissapointed I didn't get chance to hang around after the event and talk to people, but I had to run and catch the tube back to where I was staying and I only just made it as it was! If only I wasn't such a caveman when it comes to communication devices I might have caught up with you some of you earlier in the night. I didn't expect the place to be that big downstairs either, I thought I might be able to spot a bunch of gamers...

Thanks to Nachimir for organising the event though, it was definitely an interesting night. I did come and say hello with slim hopes to show something but with all the technical troubles I could see you had your hands full and it would have only added to the chaos. Our own laptop couldn't run it due to a shitty onboard graphics card and the chances of being able to set it up on someone elses was already a wishful thinking! It's a small 2 man XNA project which we're hoping to get on XBLIG (and Windows) at some point and when I get my arse in gear, I'll get something online and link you all if you like.

Also it's always a good night when someone puts there head through a glass lamp shade. We should have thrown the TV through the window as well.

Where any of you wearing a Grim Fandango or Dizzy tshirt? I saw two guys standing together wearing said shirts, and screamed excitedly but SOMEhow they didn't hear me. I walked past and then wondered if they were thumbs.

I think that person was at the Indie Show & Yell event, unless there was another guy wearing a Grim Fandango shirt (always possible at nerd fests like this), but I don't think he was a Thumb person.

Too bad we couldn't meet though. We could have discussed e-learning web applications :shifty:

I tend to be a bit quiet, so I hope that wasn't interpreted as some kind of seething indifference, but it was nice meeting everyone and I'm glad that some of you managed to get home despite the various annoyances. I tend to also be camera shy which is why I have a camera. I am in full control of what gets pictured, so a certain picture that was taken that night will be conveniently forgotten and never spoken of again.

But here are some others:

webIMGP6899.jpg

webIMGP6904.jpg

webIMGP6913.jpg

: TUP :

webIMGP6913.gif

You appear to have applied a fish lens effect to the far right of that last photo/gif.

Thunderpeel, you look ridiculously young there.

I know! Wow. Nuts. (Thanks for that, Nowak :)) Edit: Actually, I just remembered: The doorman asked me for ID as I wandered in... the first that's happened in 10 tens years! I thanked him profusely and he decided he didn't need to see my ID, afterall.

Shame Nowak won't show you the picture I took of him... being kissed by BBX (Ben) and Signor (Ian).

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

Hey guys, my attempts to meet with Idle Thumbers at the Show and Yell was a bit of a disaster it seems!

Unless you arrived quite late there's a fair chance I 'met' you when I was ticking names off the list for Nachimir. Unless I missed you, in which case I failed at an incredibly simple task and am thoroughly ashamed of myself.