ysbreker

Idle thumbs London meet!

Oh my god this queue is full of terrible fucking people.

Kick them in the face!

Kick them in the face!

They only have one face between them. That's pretty terrible. Kick them in it.

Am here! It's fucking huge. Bumped into S Superdouche but lost him again. Am probably going to sit up the marble stairs at the back...

I am around the corner at the apex London and will be there soon. They've upgraded me to a deluxe suite and I kinda don't want to leave -- it's massive! I'd say party over here but I don't think the staff would appreciate that.

Ah, the area we're in has been cordonned off, presumably for Show & Yell. I think we're going to have one drink then head back down. Dan Marshall and some tunasnax people are currently here...

There too, we sure choose a quiet and deserted place to meet...

Im at the entrance against a... Pole i guess...

Welre still upstairs at the back1 itls cordonned off, but you can still get up here til 2030

The stairs themselves are cordoned off. I fear retribution for crossing them. I'm currently standing by the front door fiddling with my phone. Help!

Honestly, push past the cordon, we're all up here!

UPDATE: JamesM is now with us. Climb the stairs, people!

Sorry guys, I'm not going to be there. Due to a frustrating clusterfuck of a day, full of cancellations and let-downs, I had to come back home early with my friend-guest. I hope it's fun, and full of wizard hats.

Also, apologies to Nachimir for booking a ticket for the Show & Yell and not turning up. I am a douche.

Nevsky you should have come to say hi! I was standing with a group of the biggest retards I think I've ever had the displeasure of queuing with.

"Aight boy this queue is real slow like, we is neva gonna play any games man. I need some GRAPHICSSSSS yeah?"

Then they started judging all the girls in the queue and saying which of them they'd shag (which was all of them).

The first thing I saw when I saw when entering was a person I absolutely hate, followed by a second person I hate, but then I met Nachimir and OssK and Lawrence and Spaff and I was happy again. And then I had to go home so I was sad again. God I'm so lonely.

Sadly I have to work all day tomorrow as well. But have fun and take lots of annotated photos!

Well, I'm on my way home. I met some thoroughly nice people, including Ben, OssK, SS Douche (who was very friendly despite being a self-professed prick), Eljay, ThunderPeel, n0wak, Nachimir, Marek, and some guy called Will who seemed pretty interesting. I would have liked to have talked to him more. And you all, of course. I'm afraid I wasn't being the best conversationalist for most of it.

Anyway, on the way home I realized I'd accidentally bought a very expensive single rather than a travel card, which was annoying, but not interesting. I walked to the station with a design guy who gave me his card, mainly because he was proud that he had one, then on the train I got to know a very drunk pair called Ben and Sarah (I think) through Ben's efforts not to throw up all over me. He managed to last the four stops before he had to change, for which he should be commended. In the interim it transpired that they worked for Sega and knew Marek. So if you know a pair who fit that description and were working in the recruitment bit of Eurogamer, Marek, that was them. And now I'm on a bus and there is a young child who is wide awake at one thirty in the morning.

All in all, a good night, notwithstanding the technical difficulties. Although I forgot to pick up my copy of the Thumbs newspaper (which I selfishly claimed for myself) from Ben, who was looking after it for me. This is a source of indescribable sadness for me. I will pay you to post it to me. Seriously. Or if you're at Eurogamer tomorrow, that would be easier.

Edited by JamesM

This sounds like fun. When reading something like this I always wonder whether it would be strange to come to such an open forum-meeting as someone who has, like, only 124 posts (as an example), is basically a lurker. Said person reads what the other people say, so knows their internet-persona a little, but remains mostly quiet and thus unknown and everybody would be like 'Who is this person and why did he come?'. Mh?

(Oh, if someone is passing by Tokyo in the next months, I'll be up for a drink and/or some silly japanese food. Really.)

A pleasant evening all round, good to meet you all. Special thanks must go to Thunderpeel for offereing to put me up after I missed my last train and special apologies to n0wak for the time that I kissed him. And also for the second time that I kissed him.

This sounds like fun. When reading something like this I always wonder whether it would be strange to come to such an open forum-meeting as someone who has, like, only 124 posts (as an example), is basically a lurker. Said person reads what the other people say, so knows their internet-persona a little, but remains mostly quiet and thus unknown and everybody would be like 'Who is this person and why did he come?'. Mh?

(Oh, if someone is passing by Tokyo in the next months, I'll be up for a drink and/or some silly japanese food. Really.)

I don't care how much of a quiet forumer you are, I love you and Japan. And I'm a very trusting person and will happily take you up on your offer even though we don't know each other. That is the beauty of being stupidly trusting. The downside is that I'll probably be murdered one day. But at least my cold dead body will be found somewhere cool - like Japan, or the South of France. Anyway, I <3 Japan!!

But I would have to save up loads of money first so that I can buy everything I see because holy shit.

I'm also really annoying and chose to inteprete "have a drink with me" as "come stay with me and I'll show you around Tokyo". fyi ;)

I don't care how much of a quiet forumer you are, I love you and Japan. And I'm a very trusting person and will happily take you up on your offer even though we don't know each other. That is the beauty of being stupidly trusting. The downside is that I'll probably be murdered one day. But at least my cold dead body will be found somewhere cool - like Japan, or the South of France. Anyway, I <3 Japan!!

But I would have to save up loads of money first so that I can buy everything I see because holy shit.

I'm also really annoying and chose to inteprete "have a drink with me" as "come stay with me and I'll show you around Tokyo". fyi ;)

You are welcome. I'm here five more months. My students' hostel is near Shibuya. Bring a mat and sleeping bag or some such.

Dammit Yufster, I thought you were making it to the drinks for a bit.

Apologies to anyone I was too drunk at, and to everyone for not saying goodbye. Dan must have noticed I was getting to the Embarassingly Drunk level, because he whisked me away.

I'll post that Idle Thumbs paper back to you. Was the other one Marek's, or can I claim it for my sweet own? I can't remember the drunken logic that led us to putting them in my bag...

On a similar note, Idle thumbs Tshirts should be made, and be affordable for us over seas.

http://thumbs.spreadshirt.com/

http://thumbs.spreadshirt.co.uk/

half of the designs have been owned by spreadshirt over the years but there are some shirts :)

Sorry i couldn't come, i had to work at the expo all day and then take a bunch of lbp fans out for dinners - fun but shame i missed you lot :)

Great to meet you all! Glad to see you got home OK too, SS. God only knows what you did for three hours...?

I wish I'd had more chance to speak to more of my fellow Thumbs, but it was fun speaking to those I did.

I thought the event itself was really successful and Nachimir did a sterling job, especially considering the technical drawbacks. Although the TV set was broken, so nobody could demo their games, the talks that were given were still surprisingly interesting and inspiring.

Just getting all those people together in one place seemed like a wonderful idea. I'm not even connected with the games industry, but even I felt I was networking and getting to know interesting people, and it was great that so many strangers were eager to say hello.

I imagine it's incredibly useful for otherwise secluded indie developers to be able to connect like that (although that (generous) guy with a bullhorn telling people to shut up, and listen to what Robin from Plain Sight would do if he had £15 million, might have gotten in the way of that a little towards the end of the evening).

One regret: I didn't get to meet Dan Marshall and tell him how much I enjoyed Ben There, Dan That, but I did get to say it to BBX1138 (whose name is BEN, not Dan, as another Ben confusingly suggested), which resulted in a very enjoyable conversation.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

One regret: I didn't get to meet Dan Marshall and tell him how much I enjoyed Ben There, Dan That, but I did get to say it to BBX1138 (whose name is BEN, not Dan, as another Ben confusingly suggested), which resulted in a very enjoyable conversation.

Man, I wish I could remember that.

I did just remember being given the loudhailer only to blather drunkenly into it about how amazing Dan is for about a minute before having it torn away from me :fart:

Was great to meet you guys and to put faces to all the forum names! Sorry I didn't get to speak much to some of you. I wish there had been more time to chat.

James: it's so random you met Ben and Sarah! I'll have to bring that up with them on Monday. :)

All of the newspapers were free to distribute amongst yourselves. (I still have my own copy at home.) I could have handed them out more deliberately to anyone who was interested but that would just have been way too organised.

P.S. On the tube home I had a conversation with a drunk stewardess. Games Discussed: Crash Bandicoot, Gran Turismo 4.

Man, I wish I could remember that.

I did just remember being given the loudhailer only to blather drunkenly into it about how amazing Dan is for about a minute before having it torn away from me :fart:

It was nowhere near as bad as you might have remembered. The bullhorn was sort of taken away from you because the guy holding it wanted to say something or make a point, but it wasn't because we were all embarrassed listening to you or anything. Dan looked quite moved, IIRC. A very nice moment.

Hee, if it makes you feel any better Ossk did something similar. You were both quite charming though.