ysbreker

Idle thumbs London meet!

We're having an informal Idle Thumbs meet up in London on friday October the 30th. Anyone is welcome to join, though note that this whole thing is totally ad hoc / crowdsourced so no guarantees of any logistics being well taken care of. :shifty: The meetup is the same day as Eurogamer Expo, which is a gaming event that's open to anyone to attend (if you buy a ticket at 6 pounds anyway). The meetup will not be at the expo itself so you can also just show up for the thumbs. Basically we're just going to have a few drinks and talk about video games presumably.

Date: October 30th 2009

Place: TBD -- somewhere near Eurogamer Expo (which in turn is near London Bridge)

Time: 7pm-ish (the Eurogamer Expo ends at 8pm)

(edit by Marek)

Since this thing seems to be happening I decided to create a separate thread for this meet up of thumbs.

As far as I can gather the following dates would work for most people:

- Friday 9 Oct.

- Saturday 10 Oct.

- Sunday 11 Oct.

I don't know any cool places in London so the exact place and time is up to you lot.

Edited by Marek

I'll be there, whatever date is ultimately chosen.

As for a place, I'm not super familiar with London, but a central location seems like a good idea. Around Victoria station, or Soho, or maybe in Old Street / Shoreditch? People with better knowledge of London please chip in.

A couple of people also suggested holding it around the time of the Eurogamer Expo: Oct 30th and 31st I think. Wouldn't that be better?

Since I'm a cheap bastard and the Paris-London ticket is more accessible on

Sunday 11, then that day would be awesome.

Man, that'd be my first visit in proper England! (I don't think Exeter counts)

Edit : I'd be up for Eurogamer expo. And that would allow all the continental EU Thumbeteers to be there!

Maybe both? We can try this out on the weekend of 10-11, and if it's a success we do it again at Eurogamer Expo. I saw some posts in the other thread about people maybe traveling to London... given such commitments maybe it's a good idea to have a pilot meeting first.

I can be there. I'm not an integral Thumb, and I'm quite easy (I live in an area of London that has awesome bus links), so I won't bang my shoe on the table.

Eurogamer Expo is fine by me. That's central and surprisingly cheap (£6 for a day ticket, am I reading this right?), and it also means I'll actually go this year.

As for a place, I'm not super familiar with London, but a central location seems like a good idea. Around Victoria station, or Soho, or maybe in Old Street / Shoreditch? People with better knowledge of London please chip in.

When I go to London with my friends we often end up hanging around Leicester Square, but that's because there's a pub there that one of them likes. So that's more of a comment than a suggestion. My knowledge of London is relatively poor, or extremely poor, when you factor in how near to it I live.

I'd strongly recommend against Leicester Square; it's overcrowded, overpriced and generally unpleasant. Since the meet is based around the Eurogamer Expo I'd suggest staying in that sort of area. The Dildo Swiss Re Building is nearby - not sure if it opens on a weekend though.

I'd strongly recommend against Leicester Square; it's overcrowded, overpriced and generally unpleasant. Since the meet is based around the Eurogamer Expo I'd suggest staying in that sort of area. The Dildo Swiss Re Building is nearby - not sure if it opens on a weekend though.

Just checked the location of the expo. Hmm. Personally speaking, I'd like to go up to Brick Lane in Aldgate... but then I'm a little fond of all the Bengali food there. Also the Truman Brewery up there is a big hipster spot, with Rough Trade East there. But this is mostly a selfish desire for me as I want to check out that hood again if I do come up for London for a couple of days.

do it at the eurogamer expo - 30th october :)

I'll be there anyways.

I'll be around for the entirety of eurogamer thing since i'm doing the indie arcade again. It carries on until 20:00 each day and i'll be running something afterward on Friday the 30th though, bugger :/

Almost considering going to Eurogamer Expo, if only because I've never physically been in the same room as someone who knows that Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time exists, or knows the difference between John Carmack and Hal Barwood. Or knows who John Carmack is. Or that Hal Barwood exists.

Also, I've never been in a huge room where most people don't think video games are for kids.

a huge room where most people don't think video games are for kids

Read: a huge room of MASSIVE BABIES.

I'll be around for the entirety of eurogamer thing since i'm doing the indie arcade again. It carries on until 20:00 each day and i'll be running something afterward on Friday the 30th though, bugger :/

So, if I show up and say "My name is Egogif Sawseed, and I wanna be an indie!", will you be the one to go to for the three trials and stuff?

That's correct, but they're vicious this year. You'll have write a creator's statement more pretentious than the one of our resident artist, out-weasel an unemployed banker, and flawlessly answer a 100 question pop quiz consisting of things like "WHO WAS BETTER? BRAQUE OR PICASSO?"

I'll try to get along to anything Thumbs related, though will be around the expo both days. I'd also like to second SignorSuperdouche's recommendation of not doing it at Leicester Square.

I'm totally easy and flexible (and game). Whereabouts is the Eurogamer Expo? People have mentioned it, but nobody has actually said where it is!

I'm happy with Brick Lane (although I imagine it'll be pretty cold by the end of October and most places I go to around there are outside...?). Do people have a specific place in mind?

Edit: EE is here. A walkable distance to Brick Lane!