Sign in to follow this  
ThunderPeel2001

Guitar Zero

As much as I dislike any Guitar Hero game after II, 1up seem to think that GH5 is the greatest music game in the history of mankind...

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3175867&p=4&sec=REVIEWS

Conversely, Rock Band: Beatles gets a far less glowing review.

What gives?

Edit: This was, in hindsight, the worst attempt at expressing myself ever here on the Thumbs... *sigh*

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

I grabbed Guitar Hero 5 the other day, and I've already returned it. I've heard so much good stuff about The Beatles: Rock Band, but I think I'm done with rhythm games in general.

I'm off to play some ODST. There is nothing tired about that franchise/genre/fictional universe. AT ALL.

Maybe they explain in their reviews

Ah, the sarcastic Mr. Remo. The point of my (lazily put together) thread was to ask Thumbs their opinions... Something I trust a lot more than reviews.

Has GH5 taken a massive leap forward or is still a soulless corporate exercise? (The inclusion of a virtual Kurt Cobain is pretty tacky and tasteless in my opinion -- something the reviewer doesn't even touch upon.

Or as Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic put it:

It's hard to watch an image of Kurt pantomiming other artists' music alongside cartoon characters. Kurt Cobain wrote songs that hold a lot of meaning to people all over the world. We feel he deserves better.
)

Is this just more of the same or is it really a vast improvement deserving of the phrase: "the most multiplayer-friendly music game yet".

Has GH5 taken a massive leap forward or is still a soulless corporate exercise? (The inclusion of a virtual Kurt Cobain is pretty tacky and tasteless in my opinion -- something the reviewer doesn't even touch upon.

Or as Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic put it:

)

Is this just more of the same or is it really a vast improvement deserving of the phrase: "the most multiplayer-friendly music game yet".

Well, it's definitely streets ahead of Guitar Hero 2, but I recognised a lot of the advances from Rock Band. Like I said before, these games mean less to me than they used to, and so for me the bigger issue is the lack of room for change at all. You can probably genuinely say that Guitar Hero 5 is a vast improvement if you're really into rhythm games and understand a lot of the nuances that are there in design.

If, like me, you used to like hitting plastic keys in time with music and are apparently no longer bothered, there's not a whole lot going on that's different in any major way.

I don't actually mind the Cobain issue. It's funny watching him sing Bon Jovi songs on youtube. There's still a place for humour in these games isn't there? I personally don't plan to buy any more of these. I have GH 1 -3, Rock Band, haven't played them in ages.

The overall vibe I got from the RB: Beatles review was that it was kind of easy and doesn't really do anything new. GH5, while not ultra-innovative, nevertheless added some cool new party friendly features and has more challenges to offer up for the experienced player.

The overall vibe I got from the RB: Beatles review was that it was kind of easy and doesn't really do anything new. GH5, while not ultra-innovative, nevertheless added some cool new party friendly features and has more challenges to offer up for the experienced player.

From your description it sounds like they should have gotten a similar score. Instead Beatles: Rock Band got 75% and Guitar Hero 5 got 100%.

I guess, now that I've done a bit more research, 1up is the only site with that kind of discrepancy, so maybe I should just forget about it.

I'm still interested what other Thumbers think of GH5, though.

From your description it sounds like they should have gotten a similar score. Instead Beatles: Rock Band got 75% and Guitar Hero 5 got 100%.

I think part of the reason 1up went to the grades system is to avoid these sort of quibbles about numbers, but wouldn't a B equate to more like 85%, and an A be 95%? (A+ being 100%)

From what I've heard, Neversoft has gotten much better at doing the note-tracking. So if you're trying to decide what game to buy, at this point the only thing that really matters is which track-list interests you more.

I think part of the reason 1up went to the grades system is to avoid these sort of quibbles about numbers, but wouldn't a B equate to more like 85%, and an A be 95%? (A+ being 100%)

I was judging it from Metacritic's interpretation of their score... But either way, who cares? As I've already said, they're pretty much the only site with such a difference between the two games... so why bother examining it further? (I should have done a bit more research before bringing it up.)

Edit: *sigh* I went to the bother of calculating what the grades equate to in percentages -- which is pretty silly, I know. But A = 92% and B = 67% (their grades go straight from D- to F with no inbetween). This is confirmed by their editorial director, too: Linky. Must get life :frusty:

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

:campbell: Sacrilege!

(I love that game.)

Ha ha, well the crucial difference here is the song list, I suppose... Things are getting a bit thin on the ground now. So in THAT respect it would be difficult to claim Guitar Hero 5 is better.

If I was asked to recommend one of the two to somebody with a similar taste in music to mine I'd recommend 2 ahead of 5.

I listened to the Listen Up podcast (is that sacrilege too? If so, just know this, I didn't enjoy it as much. It meant nothing to me. That other podcast was crap.) and from what I can remember of it, the points against Beatles Rock Band were:

1. that it was not Rock Band Beatles, in a sense, it does not interoperate with other versions of Rock Band in any way, I guess DLC-wise
  2. there was mention of the virtual Beatles being static and lifeless, I think
  3. there seemed to be some sentiment that the tracklist was too short for the price
  4. the developers obviously had fun while they were making the game:eyebrow:

But aside from those quibbles, they sounded mostly smitten with the game. I can't really compare this to what they said about GH5, though, I must have been working diligently at that point of their 'cast. Or, RB Beatles could just be the first rhythm game that I've been remotely interested in. Who knows?

As far as review scores go, meh, who needs em'?