Scrobbs

Scribblenauts review up!

I got my DS for pokemon. :fart:

I'd like to still try this game out just because how fun coming up with different combinations of stuff sounds, but I'll probably wait on it as I have so much stuff to play on my DS and otherwise. Too bad it didn't quite live up to expectations though.

God...I keep seeing references to Pokemon stuff and I'm starting to really want to play a Pokemon game. It would feel like I was in a movie called Forth Grade: The Return if I did play it, and that would be great.

UPDATE: Shooting the cat works. Weird...

Also...if you spawn some catnip, the cat will just jump down. It will land without getting hurt too, which I guess is because cats always land on their feet.

If you write "headless horseman" it spawns a guy in armor with a cape and no head (the horse is not included) and he just keeps running into everything because he has no head.

"boss" spawns a guy in a suit complete with a fedora and an old school machine gun that reminds me of Dick Tracy. So...crimeboss, I guess.

"Jock" spawns a black guy with an afro who dribbles a basketball.

The controls are indeed mind-boggling. As a toy, this is tons of fun, but the game part gets really frustrating at times.

Also: type "virgin" and see what you get (you can probably guess).

saw this on Tim Schafers twitter thought it was appropriate (and really pretty cute).

ca6q.jpg

The controls are indeed mind-boggling. As a toy, this is tons of fun, but the game part gets really frustrating at times.

Yeah, Scribblenauts is really one of the few games that I hope sells decent enough to warrant a sequel. So far, it's "just" a great sandbox but not a great game. Kinda reminds me of GTA.

I'm pretty disappointed by this game. For me the problem is not so much the controls (though they are terrible) as the fact that the interactions that can happen between the objects you summon are extremely limited.

I'm usually only able to execute strategies that involve either destroying something by summoning its natural enemy (or a black hole), or tying a rope to something and moving it somewhere else. I feel like by resorting to those methods so often, I'm probably cheating myself out of some of the enjoyment of the game, but none of the more creative things I try ever actually work.

Also: I can put a baby in an oven and turn it on, but when I take the baby out, he's completely unharmed! Are we to believe this is some sort of magic baby?

Yeah, Scribblenauts is really one of the few games that I hope sells decent enough to warrant a sequel. So far, it's "just" a great sandbox but not a great game. Kinda reminds me of GTA.
Well, if local perception is anything, it's going to sell gangbusters. I went to pre-order my copy yesterday and was told that the store was initially allocated three copies - and had 20 pre-orders already.l

Also: I can put a baby in an oven and turn it on, but when I take the baby out, he's completely unharmed! Are we to believe this is some sort of magic baby?

Try the microwave next time.

I would guess they just didn't want an A/O rating.

Having just listened to the Giant Bomb podcast and it's totally killed any excitement I had for this game :(

It sounds like such a car wreck to actually play.

Also...if you spawn some catnip, the cat will just jump down. It will land without getting hurt too, which I guess is because cats always land on their feet.

I burned the house down with a flamethrower.

I can't forgive the poor controls, but there's the potential for all sorts of unexpected interactions. In an early level, you have to clean up garbage in a park and get rid of a fly. I spawned a can of bug spray and killed the fly easily enough, then decided the best way to clean up would be with a flamethrower. As I torched the garbage, I exploded the bug spray and killed myself. Also, I beat someone to death with a baseball bat for no reason other than to see what would happen.

I spawned a can of bug spray and killed the fly easily enough, then decided the best way to clean up would be with a flamethrower. As I torched the garbage, I exploded the bug spray and killed myself.

See, to me, that's one of the strengths of this game, that kind of interaction. What annoys me is that much more mundane interactions that should clearly work don't.

See, to me, that's one of the strengths of this game, that kind of interaction. What annoys me is that much more mundane interactions that should clearly work don't.

Yeah, I just had one of those moments. I had to get rid of a bunch of rats without harming the other animals, so I summoned a Pied Piper. He proceeded to walk around and do absolutely nothing. Now that I think of it, maybe giving him a flute would help...

Nope, didn't work. On the plus side, I got Santa to kill himself with a rocket launcher.

Apparently it is possible to solve most levels in the same way.

I'm not going to tell you. Hint: offworld

I think the game is revealing disturbing things about the inner workings of my mind. So far, I've found that you can summon a bomb, time bomb, atom bomb, napalm bomb (I haven't seen anything particularly "napalm-y" about it, but it is a distinctly different design), smoke bomb, grenade, dynamite, freeze ray, stun gun, molotov cocktail, and kill all sorts of things with a knife. And there's an invisibility cloak, but it's useless because the cloak is still visible.

Again, it's frustrating that some interactions work, but some don't. Vampires die in one hit from a stake, a monster hunter only kills monsters, the Chupacabra only kills goats. But a beekeeper won't do anything to a bee, a bomb shelter won't protect you from a bomb (well, a nuke), and a glob of glue will only stick to certain hard points on an object. I've never been of such mixed opinion about a game.

Edited by Lord Korax

Actually, with the invisibility cloak on, I was able to sneak past some hostile guys. They likely did see the cloak, but didn't care enough to look into it.