Lord Gonk

Officialy Unoffical Idle Thumb Meme Thread

So I've been thinking we really need a place where we can honor all of the things on Idle Thmbs that make us laugh ad look weird in public: The Idle Thumbs Memes

Plese help as I do not have a perfect memory. Post all large and small memes or jokes pertaining tho the Idle Thumb Universe. Name it and its origonating episode.

OK look below for list.

Edited by Pfactor

Idle Memes

Warning - Still WIP, a sweet WIP

Format: Meme - Time of origin: Episode Name

Major, very frequently recurring

"video games", "Video games" - Since inception: Various

Major, frequently recurring

"Far Cry 2" - Episode 4: The Fable of Love [Addendum: may have appeared earlier in non-insane form]

"Baboo" - ?: An Episode Break

"IGN.com" - Episode 5: The Wizard

"The Wizard" - Episode 2: The Fanboy's Lament, Episode 5: The Wizard

"Horse Bag" - Episode 38: Up On this Boss

"Tears", "Weep", "A game will make you cry" "Level seventeen"- GDC 2004: Neil Young, Episode ?

"Peripherals" - Various: Post E3 2009

Minor, infrequently recurring

"You gotta have spice!" - Episode 37: You Gotta Have Spice

"'Bargo" - Episode 26: Raising the 'Bargo

"MmmPuffinth" - Episode 23: At the Mountains of Money

"Citizen Killzone" - Episode 18: Citizen Killzone

"Year of the PS3" - Episode 15: I'll Kill the Last Alien

"Pikmin 2 multiplayer" - Since Pikmin 2's release: Various

"goty.cx" - Late 2008: Various

"J Allard" - Since a douche appeared: Various

"Cyborg" - Podblast 26/02/09: With Saitek Cyborg

"Explode Mode" - ?

Minor, very rarely recurring

"Put on the top ghost" - Episode 22: Put On the Top Ghost

"Gotta use the kid to kill that snake" - Episode 22: Put on the Top Ghost

"Turrets" - Since design became lazy: Various

Unintentional, recurring

Remo: "Jake is currently [something retarded]" - ?

Rodkin: "[something retarded]" - ?

Breckon: "Well, it was just... Pff, I dunno!" - ?

Remo: "People are closing iTunes as we speak, this is terrible", "Our subscribers are currently dropping like flies, this is terrible" - ?

The readers: "We can't tell your voices apart" - ?

Remo: "[unintentionally nerdy "ha!", sounds ironically close to parody anorak voice]" - Since inception: Various

Edited by gdf

"Baboo" - Some Time BT (Before Thumbs): Jake's Mouth

I can't believe I'm commenting on this, but this is incorrect. I think we explained it at one point on the show but I sure can't remember when that was. This originates from the recording of a specific episode during a mic test (again, I can't recall which one), where Jake (I think) laughed deliberately abrasively into his mic. When I played it back through my headphones to test volumes, it was so loud that Nick and Jake could hear it from across the room, and perceived it as some kind of bird noise.

Nick found this incredibly hilarious and took to imitating that sound at least once during the recording of every episode (I don't think it made it into the final audio of every episode though), and eventually we started referring to it as the baboo, possibly even on air before explaining it. Jake and I also started doing it, although oddly, each of us does it in an almost completely different way, not unlike the chicken noise from Arrested Development. That parallel was not intentional.

Eventually we DID explain this, but I don't remember when or in how much depth. It has become even more absurd now that the word "Baboo" is itself an Idle Thumbs reference even aside from the baboo, as evidenced by the recording of the meet-up crowd in episode 42, whom I had shout both "Baboo" as well as make the baboo bird noise.

Christ.

snip

Oh shit, I vaguely remember that explanation! Will change to a ? for now.

I happen to be listening to old episodes RIGHT NOW and I can tell you that part of that baboo explanation appears somewhere in the region of episode 33 or 32, albeit a small part: somebody e-mailed in asking how the sound is made, and the Thumbs commented that there is no one way, like the Arrested Development thing.

I don't remember the full sound test explanation thing, but there's a lot of things I don't remember.

Also, this thread and our participation in it denotes a kind of messageboard/nerd event horizon thing. Beyond this point lies wikis. I've seen it happen.

SUGGESTION: "Did you beat it?"

Well, they will still come in useful when you write Baboo: The Officially Unofficial Idle Thumbs Biography.

don't forget the "rape you through the ..." stuff, although... it's a bit of ign.com related

I just learned of the scatological nature of a 'Hot Scoop'...

episode 7? hot-scoops hit the fan

I also like the ongoing jokes about web urls that lead to those "what you need when you need it" pages.

whatyouneedwhenyouneedit.biz redirect?

Should I also be cataloguing all the in-jokes I have with my friends?

Woa!, OK BIG awesome list. I guess I'll leave the list to you since you certainly are not the lazy type. Unless you want me to copy it to the first post. But thanks a lot gdf.

Some things I remember (that are only sorta memes):

"Baby"

"Semagoediv (Break Reverse)"

"Perhiperal Kid"

"Puffins" (or is that "MmmPuffinth")

"Suckbox"

And Aganin THANK A TON that list is just awesome and thank you for spending your time. I can especially thank you for the episode numbers.

:clap::woohoo::clap::chaste:

Personally, I remain continually flummoxed by the persistence of the Wizard.

I am starting to wonder if there is some important subtext that I am not getting here. I even went back and listened to some of those early episodes I had initially skipped (I started listening around episode ten and didn't feel like backtracking), hoping doing that would make the wizard a more coherent meme, but alas.

Maybe it is the language barrier? :erm::shifty::deranged:

To those out there who wish to rid this thread: Why I ask you must we destroy such a beast. This is a testament to the accomplishments of Idle Thumbs. Destroying these sacred archives would be like destroying all records of the American Revolution. No I say Let the History go on do not destroy the work of such a valiant caliber.

I SAY NO TO DELETION LET IT NEVER HAPPEN!!!

I had a dream where all lists and form post of sensibility could live together a prosper. I will not give into oppression. I will not turn this land into a warzone.

PRAISE THE WIZARD THAT THESE POSTS STAND

(OK I know I went a litle crazy there - forgive me :grin:)

Thumb? Thumb. Thumb!

Options. You've got to have options.

X? More like Y!

Mechagoose

Claude Eggerton Eggerton-Greene

:oldman: