Erkki

Other podcasts

5 hours ago, Dosed said:

Since both of my favourite gaming podcasts, Thumbs and Besties, have stopped doing gaming stuff could anyone recommend some good gaming podcasts?

I've tried out The Bombcasts in their various forms and they weren't for me. The Super Bunny Hop cast is a bit awkward for my likings. Although I do love his YouTube stuff. Has anyone got anything in the vein of Thumbs or Besties?

I'm generally happy with Waypoint Radio. Sure, their subject matter has increasingly drifted away from what they're playing into the black hole of all gaming podcasts, Important Gaming Issues, but they're still a solid cast that keeps me feeling engaged with the wider community. Episodes without Austin and Rob can be a bit more... eclectic than those with them, but that's to some people's taste?

9 hours ago, Dosed said:

Since both of my favourite gaming podcasts, Thumbs and Besties, have stopped doing gaming stuff could anyone recommend some good gaming podcasts?

I've tried out The Bombcasts in their various forms and they weren't for me. The Super Bunny Hop cast is a bit awkward for my likings. Although I do love his YouTube stuff. Has anyone got anything in the vein of Thumbs or Besties?

For me the Crate and Crowbar is the replacement for Thumbs. It's a bit more focused than Thumbs ended up being. They currently have 4 to 5 regular hosts and occasional irregulars as well, with most having a games press background. Any given pod is usually 3 people. It is a UK cast, so that might affect your enjoyment. I think their balance of humour and deep diving discussions is really good and enjoyable, and reminds me of Thumbs in many ways.

http://crateandcrowbar.com/

10 hours ago, Dosed said:

I actually highly recommend The Polygon Show which is hosted by Simone DeRochefort, Allegra Frank, Ashley Oh & Chelsea Stark. They are very charming and fun and nice. It's currently the only video game podcast I listen to since Besties went annual.

Probably the highest-quality video games podcast I've ever heard is A Life Well Wasted. They only made 7 episodes of it, between 2009-2013, but it's great stuff with fantastic production values. The episodes are like little documentaries, interviews with the people who make and play games. Well worth giving a listen.

8 hours ago, Henke said:

Probably the highest-quality video games podcast I've ever heard is A Life Well Wasted. They only made 7 episodes of it, between 2009-2013, but it's great stuff with fantastic production values. The episodes are like little documentaries, interviews with the people who make and play games. Well worth giving a listen.

Robert Ashley is one of my longest standing internet crushes. His band I Come to Shanghai is also excellent. 

Speaking of crushes, I've been listening to Classroom Crush for a while now. Every episode the host and her gust talk about one of their childhood crushes. As you can imagine, the host has had a lot of crushes. It's a nice little podcast, and although it's not a humor podcast, the host does improv and most of the people she knows are somehow in the comedy scene, so it's often sometimes funny.

With the current absence of Important if True, I've discovered After On, which is really quite good.  It annoys me that the first 5 minutes of every episode is like an NPR donation drive, but the content is stellar.  More cerebral and less entertaining than IIT, but the topics and presentation are some of the best I've ever heard.  Definitely worth checking out.

The latest and last (!) Checkpoints just went live today, ep #128. I posted about this on here a bunch in the early days, especially as I had Sean and Chris on at various points, but the time has come to put a bow on it. 

Appropriately enough given the posts above, for the final show I managed to pull Robert Ashley from video game retirement and we have a brilliant chat about his life in games. 

There are a bunch of reasons I'm finishing up the show - which if you're interested I talk about in next week's epilogue episode where I'm interviewed by Violet Berlin -  suffice to say it's for good reasons. I'm sticking the landing. 

It's been a brilliant time! Thanks to everyone who has listened. If you never listened I'm going to start repeating the show from the start in the next few weeks. The content is evergreen, iTunes only archives the last 100 eps and there are WAY more people listening to the show now than there were at the start so it seems appropriate. 

declandineen.com/checkpoints

On 7/2/2018 at 3:37 AM, declan said:

The latest and last (!) Checkpoints just went live today, ep #128. I posted about this on here a bunch in the early days, especially as I had Sean and Chris on at various points, but the time has come to put a bow on it. 

Appropriately enough given the posts above, for the final show I managed to pull Robert Ashley from video game retirement and we have a brilliant chat about his life in games. 

There are a bunch of reasons I'm finishing up the show - which if you're interested I talk about in next week's epilogue episode where I'm interviewed by Violet Berlin -  suffice to say it's for good reasons. I'm sticking the landing. 

It's been a brilliant time! Thanks to everyone who has listened. If you never listened I'm going to start repeating the show from the start in the next few weeks. The content is evergreen, iTunes only archives the last 100 eps and there are WAY more people listening to the show now than there were at the start so it seems appropriate. 

declandineen.com/checkpoints

i've posted this so many places on the forums but Robert Ashley is one of my longest lived internet crushes [heart eyed cat emoji] awesome get Declan!

@unimural thanks for reminding me about The Crate and Crowbar! I used to listen to it a long time a go. I think I gave up because one of the Chris' sense of humour wasn't for me and it just seemed super awkward at points. I'm really enjoying it at the moment. 

I listened to a really good episode called "S.E.I.N.F.E.LD." of the Imaginary Advice podcast. It's a fictional episode of a writer programming his comedy writing AI replacement in the future. I really liked this episode, but haven't been a massive fan of the earlier stuff in the series. As the host, Ross Sutherland, describes it it's basically an audio sketchpad for a writer trying out different ideas. 

I heard about it because the host of another good cast, The Allusionist, is ill and she put up an episode of Imaginary Advice as a replacement. If you like etymology this is a very good pop etymology episode. It doesn't get into the nitty gritty of stuff a lot of the time, but I'm sure I can have that itch scratched somewhere else. Speaking of which... anyone got any hardcore etymology podcasts?  

I've taken to egregiously long walks to work lately, so here's a list of national security podcasts that are informative or engaging in one way or another:

Rational Security Podcast: Generally irreverent, broad range of expertise, expertise, and interest on the parts of the hosts. Sometimes spirals into the kind of self-referential nightmares that make Idle Thumbs and Important If True so amusing.

War on the Rocks: Policy wonks drinking and arguing about things, mostly. The episodes that have two or three experts in a particular topic with diverging opinions are my favorite, but it's a good place to get more information on important events that don't get enough examination. Too many international realists though.

Bombshell: More drinking and international affairs, but with a wider scope and more consistent format. Expertise, engaging hosts, etc. I'm starting to repeat myself.

National Security Law Podcast: Lawyers! The focus has generally been on detention, Guantanamo authority, and AUMF lately, but the hosts make an admirable job of covering important developments every week. 

Congratulations on wrapping up Checkpoints @declan! I've only just begun listening to it, but I've dipped in and tried a few like the Mr. Biffo and Chris Remo episodes, and I can tell I'll enjoy the rest. Looking forward to the complete re-run.

In the absence of Thumbs I've tried various weekly video game podcasts of the 'what we've been playing' type, but few stuck (similar reasons to others here). Video Game Hot Dog (thanks for the tip @Cleinhun) and Splitscreen are currently in my subscriptions and I'm enjoying both so far.

I just finished Gimlet's Crimetown series. I really enjoyed it and if anyone is into the Mafia and/or corruption cases then I think you'd like it too. It did a really good job of making me feel sympathy for the devil. It reminded me of being younger and hanging out with/knowing of the trouble makers, but only seeing the benefits of that and not having to face the fact they made life difficult for a lot of other people. It's a very weird side of the way we think. 

It also reminded me a lot of Wild Wild Country in that way. Anybody been watching that? 

Hi folks, hope it's ok to resurrect this thread.  Am working on a new podcast as a hobby from gamedev.  It's an interview podcast where I aim to interview people from around the world and hear about their path to game development.  If all goes well, it will be a mix of devs that are well known, no so well known, and from as many different backgrounds as possible.

I did a first draft episode (ignore the profile pic, it was from Facebook) with a friend of mine, and would appreciate any feedback on it as fellow podcast listeners:

This one has probably been mentioned here before, but I just listened to a couple of episodes of PatrickR's Directors Club podcast and it's quite enjoyable

http://www.directorsclubpodcast.com/

I loved the Once Upon A Time in Hollywood discussion (I really didn't like that movie and I think they touched on almost all aspects of why I didn't like it).

My favorite podcast right now is dunktown, a basketball podcast hosted by 2 women who are new to taking their fandom seriously, but not too seriously. Great banter, great guests, super fun to relive learning about basketball for the first time

plus they have the great url https://dunk.town

There's a 'official' watchman podcast with Lindelof, i'm only 20 mins in but its pretty great so far

Over three episodes, host Craig Mazin (Chernobyl) discusses Watchmen with its co-creator, writer and executive producer, Damon Lindelof. Join Mazin and Lindelof as they divulge narrative choices, explore the show’s connection with the groundbreaking graphic novel, and how it reflects our modern times.

https://www.hbo.com/watchmen/watchmen-listen-to-official-podcast

I'm holding off on that (and all these "showrunner walks us through the latest amazing twist" articles) until the series has finished, as they tend to hint at what might be coming up in the next episode or two. But I'm looking forward to listening to all of them, Lindelof's LOST podcast that he did with Cuse (which I also waited to binge once the show had finished) was always fun and thoughtful.

I know, it's like shouting into the void, but who else am I going to tell ...

Beef And Dairy Network Podcast

It's the number one podcast for those involved or just interested in the production of beef animals and dairy herds. Short episodes, after a few you'd know whether it's your cup of milk. Episode five is a good indicator I'd say.