Erkki

Other podcasts

I think the players kinda pushed it that way because they so single mindedly pursued what they thought they needed to do. Austin seems to like letting the players drive the game, for better or for worse, and I really enjoy where that takes things.

Also this weeks episode was super good. I love this show.

I wasn't sure about season 2 since I've never been into anime, but I've really enjoyed where things have ended up. The last few episodes have just felt super stressful to listen to. I know I'm not playing so it shouldn't affect me how it does, but I can't really help it.

I wasn't sure about season 2 since I've never been into anime, but I've really enjoyed where things have ended up. The last few episodes have just felt super stressful to listen to. I know I'm not playing so it shouldn't affect me how it does, but I can't really help it.

Yeah, aside from the occasional parts where characters/scenes/images get compared to a specific anime I don't feel like it's super anime dependent? It's just a weird sci fi noir mash up that takes some dramatic cues from anime. That said I don't watch much anime either so there might be more influence than I realise.

I'm super late to the party and still catching up on Friends at the Table. Something like S2ep20 now I think.

My impression thus far is that Austin is such an amazing GM that he sort of makes the players look weak at times. Not that I think I could play it any better, I'm a complete tabletop newb! His world building and hard choices are so strong that it just overpowers them regularly it feels like.

It was recommended that I start with COUNTER/Weight instead of listening to the very beginning, and I suppose that suits me because I strongly prefer sci-fi to fantasy settings when both are on offer, but I'm just curious about what I'm missing...

They occasionally make comparisons to situations that happened in the last campaign, and I'm always tempted to double back, but it sounds like it ended sort of disappointingly so maybe I should just continue to face forward.

I found the ending to Season 1 pretty satisfying, it was just a cliffhanger ending was all and they haven't picked that story back up yet (but will soon I reckon). I would slightly suggest people try season 2 to start mostly for better production values and them being more used to the show. The very start is infamous for them spending about 30 minutes trying to decide how to get off a boat onto an island, which is basically just starting the actual game. I still loved season 1 and am looking forward to them going back to that world.

I definitely wouldn't say they first season ends disappointingly, but it does end depressingly. That's not really a bad thing, a lot of the best movies end on a down note as well. It impacted me more than I thought it would, which I'd say is a testament to how good it really is. 

I'd agree with Dewar. It's definitely not disappointing at all, but it does end on a downer. It's great. To be honest, while I generally prefer sci-fi to fantasy, I thikn the fantasy campaign was much much more interesting. Although I only JUST got to the part where they switched systems back to the Sprawl, so maybe that will help steer it in a better direction.

It's also worth noting that it's absolutely not a typical fantasy romp. At all. Listen to it. Now. Or DIEEEEE.

I don't like how I've managed to turn this into "other podcasts you don't like" thread. 

Any good recommendations? I really like history podcasts, mainly based off The History of Rome and The Ancient World, both of which were great.

History of Byznatium pick up where Rome left off. Also there is the history of China and topics in Korean history podcasts using the same format. There was also a history of Iran one but that seems to have been abandoned. There is also a history of japan which is more topical than narrative along. There is  the China history podcast that is also topical. The Samurai archieves podast and Ottoman history poccast are also topical hosted by people who are doing actual historical research which means they can really drill deep onto particular topics. Also history of philosophy without any gaps, history according to bob  and my history can beat up your politics are worth checking out. When diplomacy looks at historical conflicts looking with a focus on the diplomatic/ international aspects.

Finally history of english (language) podcast looking at the history of the english language and the ancient warfare magazine podcast.

Liking friends at the table, 10 episodes into the first season and it really interesting to hear Austin GM.

When do you all listen to podcasts? I live in a city centre so I pretty much walk everywhere, work, shopping, pub etc. I also listen in the bath and as I go to sleep. This is usually an hour/hour and a half a day tops, then maybe an extra two hours on weekends for errands & exercise. It's getting to a point where there are so many good shows I'm running out of time to listen, especially trying to break new shows into the rotation. Like, I've tried so hard to get into Friends at the Table because it seems right up my alley, but at two or three hours a pop I just can't justify it, especially when I have shows that I never miss - WTF, Radiolab, Harmontown, Idle Thumbs.

I tend to listen when cooking, washing up and doing other monotonous tasks or walking to/from anywhere so that adds up to a few hours a day. I sometimes listen to less important casts in work to clear out the backlog a bit because at this point I have too many.

I have at least 2 hours of commute time each work day and that's when I listen. I find it hard to add more shows, even ones I know I like because some of my rotation has episodes that balloon to 2 or 3 hours for a single episode.

I am trying to figure out where the giant beastcast can fit in as well as another round and playscape la.

If it matters jenna, Playscape LA will have a limited run since Teddy (the host) will be moving to Montréal.

Yeah, I know. It doesn't really matter because there's bound to be a new show that catches my eye that I want to try.

If it matters jenna, Playscape LA will have a limited run since Teddy (the host) will be moving to Montréal.

Playscape Montreal would be an easy second season. There's a thriving development community there (plus I looooooooove that city whereas LA is kinda garbage)

I just learned about Mystery Show by Starlee Kine it's pretty neat.

https://gimletmedia.com/show/mystery-show/

edit: and I am through all of the existing episodes and a second season can't come soon enough IMO.

To give some more context, it's very TAL-like (no surprise as she's been a contributor/producer for them) and take the premise with a grain of salt...the mystery is there, but often as not the best bits are the totally red-herring side stories that come up as she strikes up conversation with various interviewees. Also I would characterize her as twee if that's a thing that bothers you; personally I find twee stuff hit or miss but mystery show doesn't fall into the category I find annoying.

Playscape Montreal would be an easy second season. There's a thriving development community there (plus I looooooooove that city whereas LA is kinda garbage)

It would! But I believe Teddy has said that he'd wrap up the show. I suspect he's more comfortable interviewing people from a scene he's established in, rather than suddenly interviewing a lot of people in a new city.

I listen to podcasts during my commute (30 mins each way) and while cooking/cleaning/shopping.

I have a 1:10 commute each way, I've taken to listening for about 15 minutes before bed and in the morning, and I also get some time to listen to podcasts at work. All told, i manage to eat through about 20 hours of podcast a week.

The most freeing thing was shedding shows I had grown out of or had diverged from what I liked them for, and then only listening to episodes of interview shows for which I'm interested in the person. Like I adored your ep of checkpoints with Jeff Green Declan, or the episode of Designer notes with Nina Freeman.

Here's my current rotation:

Monday - Gilmore Guys & MBMBAM

Tuesday - Rose Buddies & catching up on backlog or interview show episodes

Wednesday - Gilmore Guys & Idle Thumbs (if it drops on Wednesday afternoon)

Thursday - This one is weird, a new adventure zone if it's the right week or serial of it it's in season, if only one or neither happen, this is another backlog or interview shows day, or Idle Thumbs if it slid to Thursday. Adventure Zone is always my first priority

Friday - Pop Culture Happy Hour & CoolGames Inc

Interview Shows & Shows I let backlog accumulate for:

Another Round

Giant Beastcast

Judge John Hodgman

Roderick On the Line

Playscape LA

Checkpoints

Baby Geniuses

Designer Notes

Quality Control

Gilmore Guys has an expiration date on it, and that will free up 2 slots a week, and I assume something(s) off the backlog list will take its spot(s) eventually, but I'm always finding new shows I want to try. Like Merritt Kopas's Woodland Secrets.

I mostly listen at work. I can't focus on audio content if I'm not doing something with my hands, but if it requires very much active thought that steals my focus from the audio also. So it's work (where 95% of what I do is fairly repetitive and can be handled more or less on autopilot), or playing certain types of Video game - i.e. a clickfest ARPG like Marvel Heroes or Diablo III, one of the Truck Simulators, grinding in a JRPG or unvoiced MMO, etc. But games tend to be sneaky about stealing my focus so I can only listen to non-narrative podcasts with them - chatfests and interviews and such.

Roderick On the Line

#supertrain

I tend to be picky about podcasts. If a cast hits a bad run of episodes I'll stop listening, and there are a few that I listen to at 1.25x speed (or faster) because I know the hosts are slow at conversing.

Roderick On The Line, Spontaneanation with Paul F. Tompkins, Pistol Shrimps Radio, and The Memory Palace are the only ones I give my full attention to at normal speed.

I usually listen on the commute, and if the podcast is good, I'll listen while I'm at home prepping dinner/doing things also. 

I sometimes listen at work, but people constantly ask me stuff, and I hate rewinding or missing my place. 

I've just started listening to the Adam Buxton podcast (Of Adam and Joe fame) and its brilliant.

Just listened to ep4 with Jon Ronson the author of So You've Been Publicly Shamed, The Psychopath Test,  Men Who Stare At Goats. Really really great listen, discussions on criticism and all the narosies that go with it

https://soundcloud.com/adam-buxton

Ep1 is with Louis Theroux and is a great introduction

The only time I don't listen to podcasts is at work, with friends, watching tv and reading books that demand more than the normal amount of attention which isn't often. Round 2-5 hours on weekdays and 6-12 on weekends depending on what I am doing. Also listen to most podcasts at 1.3 speed with some at 1.1,1.2 - mostly improv comedy podcasts and friends at the table at 1.5.

The listening habits are super interesting, as are the types of shows. When I first got into podcasts every show I listened to was either a proxy version of a radio show or a roundtable discussion, so 1 Up Yours, GFW, Skeptics Guide, Penn Jillette, This Week in Tech. For a while it seemed like everything I listened to was like that but now the only examples I can think of are Idle Thumbs, Harmontown and Mark Kermode's Film Show.

Everything else is interviews, WTF regardless of who is on, then a billion others depending on the guest - Q&A Screenwriting, Nerdist/Writer's Panel, Colt Cabana, Adam Buxton, Everything is Terrible, Beautiful Anonymous. I totally get that people do this with my show too, but it's super interesting seeing which episodes pop and which don't. Like, the one with Jeff I expected to be pretty popular and it was, but a week later I had Shailesh Prabhu who is a relatively unknown developer from India. I mean, he was super interesting and had such a fascinating perspective on games, but I figured it wouldn't be as popular as Jeff's but I was totally wrong, it was way more popular. I guess the fact he's one of the few developers from India? 

I've never really got into serialised story shows, but I love stuff like The Moth, TAL, Risk etc. I keep trying but I've yet to find one that clicks. 

I have a friend who listens to everything double speed so he can get through it all which seems super crazy to me but I guess it works for them.  

Marc Flury was on the show this week btw, he was a lead on Beatles Rock Band but then he went off and formed his own studio with one of the members of the band Lightning Bolt. He lives in Seoul now and they're making a game called Thumper which looks AMAZING - declandineen.com/checkpoints