Erkki

Other podcasts

I had the issue with Mystery Show that 1) the presenter's lisp was crazy distracting and 2) she would talk to random people who'd tell her their life story that had nothing to do with the episode. I found that so jarring that it just seemed fake. 

It probably isn't fake, and some people are compelled to tell anyone with a microphone their story, but it still had nothing to do with the main show.

I had the issue with Mystery Show that 1) the presenter's lisp was crazy distracting and 2) she would talk to random people who'd tell her their life story that had nothing to do with the episode. I found that so jarring that it just seemed fake. 

It probably isn't fake, and some people are compelled to tell anyone with a microphone their story, but it still had nothing to do with the main show.

Podcaster voice being annoying has turned me off several casts I would probably like. I am not going to listen to an annoying voice for an hour.

Podcaster voice being annoying has turned me off several casts I would probably like. I am not going to listen to an annoying voice for an hour.

Ugh yes, one of those McElroy's has the most grating voice and I hate that I can't get past it.

I'm not sure if they understood that the actual appeal from Start Up was the inside open knowledge it gave people. They were honest with faults, flaws and troubles. But the season 2 company were clearly trying to leverage for good publicity so they're not gonna be quite so honest and open. Season 3 diverged even further so far, it's just unconnected different stories about start ups. Not remotely what I was interested in.

I wish Mystery Show was back. :unsure:

Yeah, Start Up has had a pretty disappointing arc overall.

Crate & Crowbar is indeed very good. I think there's a lot of crossover appeal between them and the Thumbs too. They do a great job of really getting into what they like/don't like about a game and their enthusiasm is really infectious.

After flitting around between various D&D podcasts, I settled on Friends at the Table for a bit. Austin walker and some of the StreamFriends folks, It's a great mix of comedy, serious business, and philosophy that not a single other podcast or youtube show has hit.

http://friendsatthetable.net/

I just started getting into Friends at the Table and it's so good. It's teaching me a lot too about how to be a good DM which is helpful.

Are there any other podcasts about tabletop rpgs that are worth checking out?

Yup crate and crowbar is great. That, thumbs, and beastcast are pretty much the three gaming podcasts I hit up weekly.

I just started getting into Friends at the Table and it's so good. It's teaching me a lot too about how to be a good DM which is helpful.

If you want to learn more about GMing specifically, Adam Koebel's Office Hours show is really good. Right now it's just a Twitch and YouTube thing, but he'll be releasing the first ten episodes as podcasts soon.

Been listening to Pistol Shrimps Radio, if you want to hear absurdist women's basketball game commentary from guys who know little to nothing about basketball, this is your jam.  They're also putting out a documentary about the team.   Commentary is done by Matt Gourley and Mark McConville of Superego.

I've heard Crate and Crowbar is pretty good. Anyone listen to that?

I adore it. C&C, IT and Video Games Hot Dog are my favourite casts at the moment.

I was so "bleh" on Crate and Crowbar but its really grown on me. (also, Pip has joined, which is great, and she makes it weird - to steal from pete holmes - which is kind of funny)

still listen to daft souls even though i agree with a lot of the thoughts on matt lees etc. Tuesdays are slow for podcasts for me.

I still like Start Up but for completely different reasons. I enjoyed the twitch episode arc, probably because "hey games!"  but i agree that the first season was the best (so far) and i really miss that style/behind the scenes look.

never liked Mystery Show because of same reasons as Griddlelol mentioned, although I liked the premise. 

never cared for video games hotdog though

@declan: i've listened to a few episodes of your cast and i give it a :tup:

Not to pile on DS, but the last 15 minutes of this episode made me sort of want to crash into a lamppost this morning.

And pip isn't going to be on it anymore:( I'll have to find her new podcast.

I don't like how I've managed to turn this into "other podcasts you don't like" thread. 

Any good recommendations? I really like history podcasts, mainly based off The History of Rome and The Ancient World, both of which were great.

I don't like how I've managed to turn this into "other podcasts you don't like" thread. 

Any good recommendations? I really like history podcasts, mainly based off The History of Rome and The Ancient World, both of which were great.

In Our Time is my favorite history podcast. It has the same host with a different panel of experts depending on topic. One of my favorite parts is that the podcast always ends with an intern coming in to ask if they want tea. Its the most British thing ever and I love it. Reposting the list of all the podcasts I and a few friends listen to.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fVaYAJkhhZ8gAvasA0Jk6eAsh1XMFNrlbEqzzYOtTDU/edit?usp=sharing

I don't listen to it every week, but The Next Picture Show is a pretty good movie podcast. It's made up of a bunch of ex-Dissolve writers and they take two episodes to look at an older movie and then a new one in relation it. For example the most recent one was Assault on Precinct 13 and Green Room. They have a good range in taste and are all really knowledgeable.

I keep meaning to listen to Next Picture Show, as I loved the Dissolve Podcast, but now it seems to be very movie specific and I'd rather listen to episodes about ones I've seen.

The three main tabletop RPG podcasts I listen to are:

One Shot: A revolving crew of folks, many from the improv comedy scene but roping in various other sorts of nerd from time to time, do one shot sessions of a wide variety of RPGs. More indie than traditional, but the hosts are big fans of D&D so there's off and on delves into one or another stripe of D&D and at least a couple of Dungeon World runs. A fair bit of Dread, also, the horror RPG that uses Jenga as a resolution mechanic. For the most part it's a very light-hearted podcast (the Call of Cthulhu episode was a Scooby Doo meets the Mythos take, for example), but every now and then it gets serious, like when they tried the in-development Apocalypse Engine horror game Bluebeard's Bride, run by one of the creators of the game, or their Dracula Dossier episodes, run by Ken Hite. I love both the wide range of systems they explore and their senses of humor (for the most part, at least). It's not uncommonly side-splittingly hilarious.

The Jank Cast: Mainly discussion and advice, which I only listen to sporadically since I have little opportunity to play RPGs myself, but periodically they do really good actual play sessions of various indie RPGs. They've been the most mature (in the positive sense) and serious roleplayers of the casts I've listened to. Fair warning, they do get a bit dark sometimes.

RPPR Actual Play: They release full sessions at a time (occasionally two at once) and tend to be at least 2.5 hours long, sometimes much longer, so keeping up is a bit of an ask, but they do a pretty solid mix of one shots and moderately lengthy campaign games. I quite enjoy everyone in their current mix of players, though they've had a couple of questionable folks over the years, mostly early on. One of their regulars does have a verbal tic that can be very distracting in the early episodes but has moderated a great deal over the years. Lots of stuff to check out but my biggest recommendations would be any campaign or one shot run by Caleb Stokes (campaigns: Know Evil, the Spared and the Spoiled, their current Brutalists and God's Teeth runs; one shots include Lover in the Ice and Bryson Springs), and the Call of Cthulhu scenarios that Adam Scott Glancy ran for them at various cons, which are full of lots of insane but true historical details.

I keep meaning to listen to Next Picture Show, as I loved the Dissolve Podcast, but now it seems to be very movie specific and I'd rather listen to episodes about ones I've seen.

That's why I force myself to watch each of the movies they discuss, just like when they had Movie of the Week articles on the site!

Actually, that's not true; I've skipped a lot of episodes.  We haven't had a real Tasha Robinson/Scott Tobias throwdown yet, though!

Hello & welcome to Checkpoints #35 with everyone's favourite gaming dad, Jeff Green.

We talk about Jeff's delinquent youth in a pinball gang, how to balance marriage and Hearthstone, bonding with his daughter in WoW, how awful it is to have to write about modems and how amazing it is to write about games. We wax lyrical about Half Life and Doom, wonder whether stories in games matter, think about the impact of podcasting and share thoughts on the latest Hearthstone expansion. This was a treat.

declandineen.com/checkpoints

Hello & welcome to Checkpoints #35 with everyone's favourite gaming dad, Jeff Green.

We talk about Jeff's delinquent youth in a pinball gang, how to balance marriage and Hearthstone, bonding with his daughter in WoW, how awful it is to have to write about modems and how amazing it is to write about games. We wax lyrical about Half Life and Doom, wonder whether stories in games matter, think about the impact of podcasting and share thoughts on the latest Hearthstone expansion. This was a treat.

declandineen.com/checkpoints

Yesssss

I mean "yeah, totally". Looking forward to listening to this.

Wow, just finished Season 1 of Friends at the Table

What a heck of down ending for the boat party. Like shockingly horrible. I'm certainly not one to think everything has to end nice, but I'd like to put a bit of a positive bow on it especially if it's going to be a year before you go back to it. The ice party had a bit of a better ending, not a ton of death, some interesting introspection opportunity for Hadrian, but success in their quest at least. I'm going to take a break for a bit before I start in on season 2, but I can imagine the ending situation being so painful that no one ever wants to go back to it.

Wow, just finished Season 1 of Friends at the Table

I think the players kinda pushed it that way because they so single mindedly pursued what they thought they needed to do. Austin seems to like letting the players drive the game, for better or for worse, and I really enjoy where that takes things.

Also this weeks episode was super good. I love this show.