Erkki

Other podcasts

I've only listened to one episode, but my girlfriend turned me onto My Favorite Murder because she's a total ghoul. And it's... pretty good? I don't know if it's a permanent entry on the RSS feed, but if you're looking for lighthearted discussion of awful murders and kidnappings from the last few decades, with a focus on telling those stories in the voices of those that grew up around them, it's a really interesting listen.

Oh man, these two are so freaking morbid. This is by far the most ghoulish podcast I've listened to due to the shear revelry about death, and I'm only like 15 minutes in. 

Oh man, these two are so freaking morbid. This is by far the most ghoulish podcast I've listened to due to the shear revelry about death, and I'm only like 15 minutes in. 

The second and third episodes are much less morbid, if that matters. I'm finding it funny right now, but maybe because I've been in a bad place this week.

Yeah, I started on the first episode.  I've got a friend who I think might have been separated from birth from one of the hosts though, because she could jump right in to this show.  She's going to be very excited about this. 

Yeah, I started on the first episode.  I've got a friend who I think might have been separated from birth from one of the hosts though, because she could jump right in to this show.  She's going to be very excited about this. 

Yeah, another reason I really enjoy it is that the hosts usually know what murder the other is talking about before it even gets said, a phenomenon to which I'm accustomed with history graduate students talking about medieval kings and queens but not creepy serial killer incidents.

Also, I just caught up through the "Raven and Ram" arc of the Adventure Zone, and I was almost struck dumb by how lucky Griffin is to have such passive and cooperative players. In any game that I've ever run or played, introducing a "kills instantly with no cure, not even magic" poison would have caused riots at best and, at worst, the complete overthrow of prior campaign objectives in favor of finding more of that poison and harvesting it for use.

Still, possibly the funniest that Taako, Magnus, and Merle have been, and that's including the episode where they were relentlessly cruel to a railway employee.

I jumped on The Sporkful because they are doing a series right now on food and cultural appropriation and it's very insightful if that's your kind of topic to dig into.

FWIW, I think you've single handedly introduced me to more great shows over the last few months than anyone else for the entire time I've been listening to 'casts.  So thanks!

NPR has a new podcast called Embedded, in which they go deep into a story. The first has to do with Opioid abuse

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/03/31/469525114/inside-a-small-brick-house-at-the-heart-of-indianas-opioid-crisis

So what does Trump's hands, the CIA, Abstract Painting and Conspiracy theories have to do with each other? Listen and find out :P

https://toe.prx.org/2016/03/a-light-touch-and-a-slight-nudge/

The best comic podcast, forget all else

http://www.factualopinion.com/the_factual_opinion/2016/02/mark-millar-the-last-great-traditionalist.html

http://www.factualopinion.com/the_factual_opinion/2016/03/barry-windsor-smith-and-egon-schiele.html

I'm going to engage in some nepotism and tell everyone to listen to podcasts made by my lady pals who were also former co-hosts or guests on Justice Points:

Pop Culture Coven: 

https://popculturecoven.simplecast.fm/

First season goes into in-depth explorations of the guest's favorite fictional character.

Media Mavens:

https://mediamavens.simplecast.fm/

Two ladies talk about whatever media they enjoyed that week!

Checked the last few pages and didn't see it, and it's my all-time favorite (non-thumbs) podcast, so here's Knifepoint Horror:

http://knifepointhorror.libsyn.com/

It's a horror fiction podcast set up like first person accounts of terrible experiences, but is comfortable enough to be way more low key than basically all the other horror podcasts I've listened to. No sharp musical cues for scary stuff, or dumb accents.  Just really, really good stories.

So did anybody listen to the finale of Serial Season 2? I thought it was really fantastic. I know that a lot of people were disappointed in Season 2, but man, that final episode is brutal and really pulls together all the strands of the season beautifully.

I thought season 2 started out slow, but once it got past the specifics of Bergdahl's capture conditions, and into who he is and the bureaucracy of the US government and armed forces was truly compelling and interesting and I really loved the journalism they did.

My favourite part of the finale was the interview with the guy who thought that Bergdahl had definitely betrayed the trust of his fellow soldiers, but was not responsible for anybody's death. Dude seemed really smart and I appreciated that he had a nuanced position.

I hope that Serial continues being about untangling big complicated systems. It did that pretty well in both series. I think the disappointment was that the human individual story was a lot more compelling in S1 than S2, and I gather that was the more important part for a lot of people.

I hope that Serial continues being about untangling big complicated systems. It did that pretty well in both series. I think the disappointment was that the human individual story was a lot more compelling in S1 than S2, and I gather that was the more important part for a lot of people.

I think of Serial as essentially a season on one episode of This American Life. Some TAL episodes are not great, so for Serial it will be a whole season you might not care about.

I actually stoped listening to TAL a while back because I have started losing interest in anecdotes.

Yep season 2 was really really good.