Erkki

Other podcasts

Annnnnd I'm looking for a new history podcast. The History of Britain got bogged down in names of successive kings and the boring things they did or didn't do. Can only listen to so many episodes talking about Kings with basically the same name before the whole thing just becomes a grey sludge in my memory and I've learned nothing. It started out well though! 

Any suggestions? I'm pretty sure I prefer ancient history, we don't know enough to get bogged down in too much detail. 

You might have already listened but Revolutions by Mike Duncan is great. I felt it did a good job of keeping me up to speed with what was going on and since its a series about revolutions it doesn't become a long epic podcast, there's basically chunks about different countries and their different revolutions. It's easier to consume a 20+ episode run about just the English revolution than it is to consume over a hundred episodes on all of roman history.

Yesterday I devoured the archive of Tuner, a podcast about pop music. Each week, the hosts take a pop song and break down the music theory behind what it's doing. They do a really great job of explaining stuff in laymen's terms and also staying aware of the fact that all the meaning behind any piece of music is ultimately contingent on culture, social status and history. It's a really fantastic show.

I'm totally going to grab that. I've been listening to Switched on Pop (seems to be on very similar lines to Tuner) and Song Exploder recently which are both great and seem, also Sodajerker on Songwriting.

I need to fluff up my podcast library because my commute has gotten longer, so I tried the Slate Political Gabfest again. I was again disappointed by the level of discourse on there -- they talked about a lot of legal stuff, and just didn't make very many good points, and the good points they made were poorly argued. I'll try it out for another week or two, but I got frustrated by that before and probably will again.

I added the Lawfare podcast to my list and it's been really good. It's a nice podcast for wonks. Jihadology is a good related podcast about terror-related subjects, as is Covert Contact by the guy who does Blogs of War. I think I'll try out the other two Lawfare podcasts -- Steptoe Cyberlaw and Rational Security -- just to go full Brookings on tech policy.

I really like the additions of Steptoe Cyberlaw and Rational Security. The hosts and guests fall on the other side of security and privacy issues than I do (the host of Steptoe Cyberlaw is a former general counsel for the NSA, so uh... you know), but they're smart people with thoughtful, considered opinions. It's nice to see the other side of things as presented by people who can robustly support their views with considered evidence and viewpoints.

Annnnnd I'm looking for a new history podcast. The History of Britain got bogged down in names of successive kings and the boring things they did or didn't do. Can only listen to so many episodes talking about Kings with basically the same name before the whole thing just becomes a grey sludge in my memory and I've learned nothing. It started out well though! 

Any suggestions? I'm pretty sure I prefer ancient history, we don't know enough to get bogged down in too much detail. 

Apologies for being shameless, but we're launching our new podcast, based on our video series "History Respawned," in a few days. It's eventually going to be two a month we think, with one episode featuring us talking about specific ideas and the other being a podcast version of the video episode for that month. The first few episodes will likely be converted from video episodes. Episode 1, for example will be our episode on Red Dead Redemption:

Anyway. May not be your cup of tea or you may prefer to watch the videos, but that is a thing that is happening. We're going to call it The History Respawned Podcast, I think. It may just be listed on iTunes as History Respawned.

Sounds cool! I have an awful memory, could you repost or post in the Plug Your Shit thread when you have it on iTunes?

Sounds cool! I have an awful memory, could you repost or post in the Plug Your Shit thread when you have it on iTunes?

Will do! I'll post it in the Plug Your Shit thread when iTunes confirms the feed is open. We haven't applied yet so it might be a while.

Yesterday I devoured the archive of Tuner, a podcast about pop music. Each week, the hosts take a pop song and break down the music theory behind what it's doing. They do a really great job of explaining stuff in laymen's terms and also staying aware of the fact that all the meaning behind any piece of music is ultimately contingent on culture, social status and history. It's a really fantastic show.

great first ep! gonna subscribe.

It's probably not what you're looking for since it tends to focus on more recent history and is very much US-centric, but I've enjoyed the past present podcast recently. It's a group of three academics providing some historical context for stuff that was recently in the headlines.

I've also enjoyed the Gravy podcast recently, which is probably even further afield from what you're looking for, but is still history adjacent. It explores the culture of the Southern United States through the lens of food. The episode focused on Shirley Sherrod (the USDA official slandered by Andrew Breitbart in 2010) was particularly good.

You could try out The Ancient World Podcast?

It's by an enthusiast history fan rather than an expert. But I think it comes with a good level of quality.

I'm in episode 4 or so and the host has covered the Sumerians, Elamites, Egyptians, Minoans, Neolithic Brtions, Norte Chico, The Akkadians and a few other peoples. 

It very quickly goes beyond that into many other cultures and he tend's to try to thread their narratives and contexts together as he can.

Been liking it a bunch.

Probably going to try out The History of Rome & Byzantium podcasts after TAW. Not sure if they're all by the same people but I've heard good things of those later two.

We finally finished Limetown this morning (it's taken forever to finish something that's only 6 episodes long, I think because we only wanted to listen to it when we weren't likely to be distracted, half the time our podcasts are just background noise). 

I loved it, though I was really hoping they wouldn't do a cliffhanger ending. 

We started listening to Mo'Nique's podcast with her husband Sidney, Open Relationship.  I really enjoyed the first episode and it's definitely earned a place in the rotation for awhile.  I think it's particularly interesting and worthwhile for a few different reasons though.  Their first show talks about their open marriage, which they've been honest about for around a decade.  In the kink/poly/swinging/open worlds, I'd say the most common voices, by far, are middle class white folks, many of whom lead relatively invisible lives to the world at large.  So hearing from a black, celebrity couple about their experiences is a great, different perspective.  I also just enjoy hearing their voices, it reminds me of hanging out with the lady's best friend and her family.  There's just terms of endearment and phrases that I never hear anywhere else. 

It looks like the show isn't going to be just about relationships, the other shows they've already recorded cover a pretty wide ranging ground from more general emotions, parenting, death and aliens. 

With the lovely E-sports Today! podcast going on hiatus for a while I was wondering if there were any other great E-sports podcasts that were recommendable. Particularly around Dota 2, SC2, and CS:GO.

Meet the Composer has been blowing my mind. A podcast interviewing contemporary composers and featuring their music. The host is really great too.

I've only got like 2 interviews left though, which is making me sad:(

With the lovely E-sports Today! podcast going on hiatus for a while I was wondering if there were any other great E-sports podcasts that were recommendable. Particularly around Dota 2, SC2, and CS:GO.

For DOTA 2 I would recommend a podcast with Purge, Blitz, and Hotbid. There's a catch though, it is just skype conversations uploaded to Purge's youtube channel. I just use one of those websites that converts youtube videos to mp3 files (or whatever your preferred audio format is), and then upload that file to my phone. You might have to try a couple different websites though because not all of them will handle videos that are 90 minutes long. It is a really fun podcast for DOTA 2 fans though. The most recent episode is really good and gives you an inside look into what the Shanghai Major was like.

Ok cool I'll check it out! I listen to a few things of similar production quality and I do most of my listing at the desktop so it shouldn't be too much of a bother. Thanks!

Forgive me for basically double posting, but I didn't want people on this thread who might not read the Plug Your Shit thread to know about the podcast I mentioned here a couple of weeks back:

Episode One came out two weeks ago, the audio from Bob's interview on Red Dead Redemption. Episode Two, out tomorrow, is more of a discussion cast between myself and Bob. Episode Three, in two weeks, will be the audio from our latest episode, on Far Cry Primal.

We'll be releasing episodes every two weeks and gradually going through the back catalogue of our video episodes.

You can find us on Soundcloud at https://soundcloud.c...istoryrespawned

and iTunes at https://itunes.apple...t=2&i=364442062

and on our own website at http://www.historyre...ned.com/?cat=86

For DOTA 2 I would recommend a podcast with Purge, Blitz, and Hotbid. There's a catch though, it is just skype conversations uploaded to Purge's youtube channel. I just use one of those websites that converts youtube videos to mp3 files (or whatever your preferred audio format is), and then upload that file to my phone. You might have to try a couple different websites though because not all of them will handle videos that are 90 minutes long. It is a really fun podcast for DOTA 2 fans though. The most recent episode is really good and gives you an inside look into what the Shanghai Major was like.

Ok cool I'll check it out! I listen to a few things of similar production quality and I do most of my listing at the desktop so it shouldn't be too much of a bother. Thanks!

Actually Purge has set up an RSS feed for the Multicast now with downloads for the episodes in .mp3 format, including the first episode. I had to add it manually on BeyondPod as I couldn't find it with the in-app podcast search.

Here's the link to the RSS feed: https://purgegamers.true.io/g/podcasts/ad781abe-0fc2-4d46-b993-557152ae259d/

Actually Purge has set up an RSS feed for the Multicast now with downloads for the episodes in .mp3 format, including the first episode. I had to add it manually on BeyondPod as I couldn't find it with the in-app podcast search.

Here's the link to the RSS feed: https://purgegamers.true.io/g/podcasts/ad781abe-0fc2-4d46-b993-557152ae259d/

Thanks for this! Purge was always my favorite Dota community guy because he mostly seems positive and nice, especially towards new players. I've been wanting a dotacast from seemingly well adjusted people ever since Dotatoda stopped.

I haven't finished even finished it yet, but the most recent RadioLab is one of the finest episodes they've ever done, about young, black debaters challenging the very nature and structure of organized debate (and it includes people from area around Kansas City, which is a giant bonus for me to hear stories from voices from this area, which is so often seen as flyover country and lacking in the intellectual rigor of the coasts). 

It was a really good episode. It veered a little into what I call This American Life territory though where it's ostensibly a white host sounding sometimes atonal around black guests. 

I often vacillate on how much I enjoy Krulwich's contributions to the show, at least in the interviews (I have no idea what he does on the production/organization side).  I think there are some subject matters in which his particular style are simply not a good fit, sometimes to the point of being off-putting.