Erkki

Other podcasts

I listened to the first episode, then decided to wait for the first season to finish so I could mainline it all at once.  Now I'll do that!

This may not be for everyone's taste, but a couple of friends of mine were recently interviewed on the People of Kink podcast, a show that interviews people in the kink scene (obviously NSFW).  The episode they were on is here.  It was a skype interview, and their side is not the best audio quality, but it does seem to improve as the episode goes on. 

I was pretty happy with Limetown as a whole actually. I'm glad they've wrapped it up quite quickly. Well the first season at least because that's what bored me about Nightvale. I didn't really know where it was going and I don't think the writer's did either. I think the acting over all was quite good considering, but there was a bit of ham going on with the whole Cat's Cradle thing. I thought that was incredibly odd. What about you Badfinger, whaddya reckon about it? 

Latest Checkpoints is a little different to the others. So much so I've given it a different name. 

AUTOSAVE - Episode 1

About two or three episodes into the show, I decided it'd be quite fun to make shows that were compilations of smaller stories. Twenty four episodes in I've finally finished one.

There's jokes and embarrassing stories and pained memories and enthusiasm and joy and a drinking game that ends with bloodshed. It's a Christmas episode.

Featuring:
03:12 - Samuel Baker - the composer of the Checkpoints theme tune talks Video game music, easter eggs & developing an ear.
23:17 - Raph Perks - Do you ever have a memory pop into your head that's so excruciatingly embarrassing that you actually wince at just the thought of it?
31:08 - Dan Copeland - a collector collects.
37:48 - Chris Moore & Nick John - two old school friends of mine talk about a legendary Street Fighter 2 drinking game. Don't try this at home.
46:35 - Mani Franchetti - a school yard Video game troll.
49:53 - Craig Stevenson - the creator of the artwork for the show talks about his love of spectrum graphics.
01:03:40 - Benny Webb - our DDR past and Trials PTSD.

Web   RSS   iTunes

That's been a year of the show! I hugely appreciate the support I've got from the forum here. You're the best. 

Back to normal for the next episode, though there will be more Autosaves in the future. Have a terrific New Year!

So, in my experience, I often find that actual comedians are just not that funny on podcasts.  I've tried a bunch over the last few years, just today tried Chewin It with a couple of the Broken Lizard guys, and it was another flop.  I don't know if it's me, or the shows, but comedy and podcasts just don't seem to be a successful intersection for me. 

I was pretty happy with Limetown as a whole actually. I'm glad they've wrapped it up quite quickly. Well the first season at least because that's what bored me about Nightvale. I didn't really know where it was going and I don't think the writer's did either. I think the acting over all was quite good considering, but there was a bit of ham going on with the whole Cat's Cradle thing. I thought that was incredibly odd. What about you Badfinger, whaddya reckon about it? 

I fell off not because of any lack of quality (I really liked what I'd heard) but because of one delay or another between episodes that was overlong. I'm still subscribed/have the files downloaded so at some point I'm going to just listen through the whole thing.

Wrong thread

Wrong thread?

Wrong thread.

Do we need to start a wrong thread thread?

So, in my experience, I often find that actual comedians are just not that funny on podcasts.  I've tried a bunch over the last few years, just today tried Chewin It with a couple of the Broken Lizard guys, and it was another flop.  I don't know if it's me, or the shows, but comedy and podcasts just don't seem to be a successful intersection for me. 

I like some of Girl on Guy, Aisha Tyler's podcast, but the funnier/better episodes are the ones where she doesn't have a comedian on.

Yeah, I find that like stand up people aren't super funny on podcasts, but sometimes people who have taken a couple improv classes or have clearly spent a lot of time honing their humor off of other funny people  but are not professionals are very funny. (Gilmore Guys, Judge John Hodgman, the McElroys, Hello From the Magic Tavern is hit or miss for me, but also hits this category).

Do we need to start a wrong thread thread?

I like some of Girl on Guy, Aisha Tyler's podcast, but the funnier/better episodes are the ones where she doesn't have a comedian on.

Girl on Guy was one of my favorite podcasts early on, but when it became more interview focused rather than them just bullshitting and having fun, it lost me.

John Hodman does weird one man shows, but he's not a professional stand up comedian the way like Marc Maron is. I would consider him more of a writer and actor than a stand up comedian, or a comedy writer for a sitcom/late night talk show or anything. For example, I would say that Dan & Elliot of the Flophouse are professional comedians as they were writers for the Daily Show.

Yes Hodgman does write humorous things (like his fake trivia books), and appears on comedic things like the Daily Show, but I would not call him a comedian.

It's not super important. I think Hodgman is funny and the Flophouse isn't.

One of the big things is that stand-up comedians who haven't worked at improv can have this interview style where it feels like they're just burning time until the host can lob them a softball that they can use to launch into a prepared bit.  And that is death for podcasts because it doesn't really advance the conversation at all.  When the bit is over, the host either tries to dig in further to a topic where the prepared material has been expended, or the host resets and the stand-up goes back to looking for an opening to do another prepared bit.

One of the big things is that stand-up comedians who haven't worked at improv can have this interview style where it feels like they're just burning time until the host can lob them a softball that they can use to launch into a prepared bit.  And that is death for podcasts because it doesn't really advance the conversation at all.  When the bit is over, the host either tries to dig in further to a topic where the prepared material has been expended, or the host resets and the stand-up goes back to looking for an opening to do another prepared bit.

That kind of describes what the part of Chewin It I listened to today was doing.  Not so much looking to insert a prepared bit, but just milling around looking for something to catch.  They were literally talking about LA traffic (this is another thing, every comedian who lives in LA feels a compulsion to talk about living in LA.  ProTip: We don't fucking care), and it was kind of obviously about trying to get a riff going, but was just meandering.

If you want an actually funny comedian podcast that's ALL WOMEN, try Lady 2 Lady. It's great. 

Will do!

I don't know you if you have listened to many improve comedy podcasts but Comedy Bang Bang, With speical guest Lauren Lapkus, womp it up and Hollywood handbook are worth checking out. Comedy Bang Bang episodes can be uneven depending on how well the guests that don't have a background in improv fits in with what is going on. The other three guests are other people with improv experince.

Don't get me started just did an interview with Jason Mantzoukas where the two hosts and him talk about improv comedy for close to two hours and as someone who only started listening to improve comedy podcasts  last year (namely the four above and Hello from the Magic Tavern) it was very enlightening look behind how it actually works.

I've recently started listening to Tomefoolery which is a book club podcast where the host has the guests read terrible and weird books and talk about them. By terrible and weird I mean books like "Women of the Klan," "Dating for Under a Dollar," "My Parents Open Carry," and "A Christian Response to Dungeons and Dragons."

It is pretty fun because, like most normal people, the guests are usually pretty stunned that books like this exist. The episodes usually start with the guests talking about what they read growing up and then they get into the book of the episode.

Checkpoints #26 with Kerry Turner

iTunes RSS Web

Kerry makes games under the banner of The Rabbit Club, is a freelance unity developer and founded Make,Play,Code - a course designed to encourage more women to make games.  We talk about video games as places to visit, rediscovering a love of coding, solo LARPing, why snow in games is amazing, revisiting that game that you could never beat and the Video game equivalent of guitar feedback.

Some of the games we talk about include - Granny's Garden, The Sims, Fable, Cities Skylines, Sweatshop, Final Fantasy, Rodland and the Secret of Monkey Island.

Re:Comedy Podcasts

I too fell off of Chewin it.  I listened to a few episodes but its generally not that hilarious.

I started off in comedy podcasts with You Made it Weird and its led me to quite a few comedians that I like.  However a little bit of the host, Pete Holmes, can go a long way sometimes.  Which is why I  have 15 unplayed episodes sitting on my phone.  I would recommend his episode with Thomas Middleditch if you wanna see how good it can be.  Or the episodes with Moshe Kasher.

The Champs is another good one that doesn't update very often.  Its Moshe Kasher and Neal Brennan interviewing only black comedians/entertainers.  

Doug Loves Movies is a generally good time.  Doug Benson gets some comedians/actors to play a sort of game show in front of an audience.  I don't think I would be a huge fan of Benson's stoner standup but the show works pretty well.

The Nerdist and Marc Maron I will generally only listen to if I am interested in the guest.

Nightvale is a Lovecraftian-style podcast of silly stories and happenings in this fictitious town of Nightvale. I like the first two episodes, but the silliness and randomness kind of falls off. Interesting series though! Any others like it?