Erkki

Other podcasts

To clarify, when I was complaining about the MaxFun ads, it's not anything about the style of ad reads on the network, but about those 30-45 second ads for other MaxFun shows they drop in the middle of episodes and/or the end of the podcast.  They are almost uniformly awful.  I remember actually hearing a MBMBAM ad on one of the other shows, and it struck me how the ad would turn me off from listening to a show that I actually enjoy had I not heard their show before I heard that ad.

Earwolf is doing those style of ads now too, but I feel like they're doing it smarter even though the ads are actually longer.  They have the host do a short intro, and then stick a short interesting clip from the show on the end of it.

I will only listen to Jordan Jesse Go when someone I really really like is on (like Linda Holmes or Glen Weldon, both of NPR's Pop Culture Happy Hour podcast)

I like Jordan a lot, but don't find their dynamic very entertaining.

http://theadventurezone.tumblr.com/ episodes 14 -16 are the episodes where they're actually on the train with Angus.

re: max fun network ads: I like the one for Judge John Hodgman where the friend does all the overly affected pronunciations of words. I also enjoy the Adventure Zone one. I think the Flophouse & Jordan Jesse Go, & Baby Genuises ones are all bad.

The Flophouse one is the worst. "OOOOOOOoooooooooooooo sick burnnnnnnn!" and "Singling long irritating sen-ten-ceess like thisss one" are the worst things.

Yeah most of the MaxFun ads sound like they are trying way too hard to say just how whacky all the hosts are.

The only MaxFun show I listen to anymore is The Flop House, so I've never heard their ad, but I don't doubt that it's bad. The McElroy ads don't bother me much, but I'm not a fan of most of them - the "can you tell how much we didn't practice this" thing is kind of annoying. Also, most shows on MaxFun seem to be almost exactly the same thing - bunch of people ostensibly talk about a specific topic, but mostly just make jokes - so I can't imagine why you would listen to more than a couple of them.

I listen at work, and can easily skip the intro and cut off the end.  But after someone else complained about that earlier, I made it a point to listen to an entire episode.  And yeah, 99 has more wasted/advertising time than any other podcast I have ever listened to. 

I actually like the content of the podcast! I am picking up what Roman Mars is putting down, generally. Other podcasts I listen to have similar amounts of advertising, too. You Are Not So Smart has 5-6 minutes of ad reads, but they're a) broken up over an hour+ of podcast and b ) feel more like ads that have a purpose in sustaining the podcast than a rambling guy talking about a penny you can get. I don't consider intros or credits to be "wasted", either. People in production deserve to be recognized. It's just so incredibly concentrated on 99 PI.

I actually like the content of the podcast! I am picking up what Roman Mars is putting down, generally. Other podcasts I listen to have similar amounts of advertising, too. You Are Not So Smart has 5-6 minutes of ad reads, but they're a) broken up over an hour+ of podcast and b ) feel more like ads that have a purpose in sustaining the podcast than a rambling guy talking about a penny you can get. I don't consider intros or credits to be "wasted", either. People in production deserve to be recognized. It's just so incredibly concentrated on 99 PI.

I probably stated that poorly, it's got so much adroll and production stuff as a percentage of its length.  Now that I'm paying attention to it, there are a lot of episodes where upwards of half the running time is not related to the content of the episode.  I've gone back to skipping it, but it definitely stands out from everything else I listen to. 

No I think I'm picking up what you're putting down! We agree that it is a unique situation because of the percentage of runtime, rather than the literal seconds dedicated to non-show things.

The only MaxFun show I listen to anymore is The Flop House, so I've never heard their ad, but I don't doubt that it's bad. The McElroy ads don't bother me much, but I'm not a fan of most of them - the "can you tell how much we didn't practice this" thing is kind of annoying. Also, most shows on MaxFun seem to be almost exactly the same thing - bunch of people ostensibly talk about a specific topic, but mostly just make jokes - so I can't imagine why you would listen to more than a couple of them.

Yeah, I'd definitely accept that most of their shows are about a bunch of people riffing about different topics. I just happen to like the McElroy brand of comedy. I don't mind Stop Podcasting Yourself, but it can be a tad boring. How anyone listens to Jordan! Jesse! Go! I have no fucking idea. It's the most pompous and arrogant thing I've ever heard. Especially due to the fact they keep their editor's laughs in the background.. I don't like TV shows with a laugh track, why would I want a podcast with a really forced one man laugh track? 

Anyone know of a good media criticism podcast? I used to like Media Matters with Bob McChesney but he quit doing it a few years ago http://will.illinois.edu/mediamatters

No One's Listening with Irene from Real World had its moments (even if it was too simplistic in its criticism for my taste) http://nooneslistening.libsyn.org/

On the Media is good but I want something less journalism focused and more general cultural studies-media studies focused. Any suggestions?

I'd suggest Media Watch but it's very heavily Australia-focused, it's heavily skewed towards journalism ethics, and it's a TV program so it's a vodcast.

Next week's episode of Retronauts will feature special guest Danielle Riendeau talking about Super Mario 64!  If you're a Patreon backer you can listen to the episode today!

It's fun listening to Danielle make non-sequiturs that none of the guys in the room respond to.  I miss that!

Does anyone listen to a good board game podcast? I like how many games the Dice Tower reviews every week, but the awful theme music is starting to get to me, I also really dislike all the other segments and usually just skip them.

SUSD are definitely the best boardgames dudes around. I don't generally care for the podcast, but they are cool folks and helped me get into the hobbt a few years ago. They even have some overlap with the thumbs network, what with couple of them being occasional guests on Terminal 7.

I've picked up Bonfire Side Chat and I'm liking I a bunch. Super keen for the later episodes when they talk about background influences like Berserk but I'm content with the Undead Parish for now. Also it was really neat to come across a developer for Kingdom of Loathing in this podcast. I loved that game so much in 2006/7 until my boarding school's IT guy blocked it and all the usual proxy sites.

As for other DnD podcasts I've been liking DnD is for Nerds a lot lately. It's about a bumbling evil party run by some funny Australians. It's likely not everyone's thing though.

TAZ is still fun. But I hated the guest episode with The Flop House which got weird fast when it quickly became about what dice rolls you could get to sleep with hawt chix; it felt like being in a room while some high school freshmen figured out they could see side boob in 'x' if they paused the screen. Only it felt more uncomfortable because at the same time they acted like seedy Dad's for each other.

After listening through Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2 and most of Bloodborne, the BFSC guys are starting to grate on me. Mainly because they both say "mmmhmmm" a lot. I grimace every time they say it.

Does anyone listen to a good board game podcast? I like how many games the Dice Tower reviews every week, but the awful theme music is starting to get to me, I also really dislike all the other segments and usually just skip them.

On boardgames which is part of the dice tower network and the game design roundtable are quite good

The latest episode of Checkpoints features friend of idle thumbs and Kickstarter reward creator Brendon Chung.

It's a great meander through his Video game history, from q*bert to fallout 4. Hope you like it!

iTunes and RSS links etc are all here-Declandineen.com/checkpoints

The latest episode of Checkpoints features friend of idle thumbs and Kickstarter reward creator Brendon Chung.

It's a great meander through his video game history, from q*bert to fallout 4. Hope you like it!

iTunes and RSS links etc are all here-Declandineen.com/checkpoints

I really enjoyed hearing the weird mish mash of Brendon's early modding days on the games he played. And painstakingly recreating pixel by pixel sounded like a nightmare.

It's so impressive. I feel about the late 90s mod scene much like I feel about minecraft today. I get the potential and I love playing in the creations, I've just never had the patience to really dig in.

After listening through Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2 and most of Bloodborne, the BFSC guys are starting to grate on me. Mainly because they both say "mmmhmmm" a lot. I grimace every time they say it.

I don't have that specific hang-up with the show, but I don't think the "seasons" after the first one have been as good. They simply don't have enough to talk about. The way I feel about it is that none of the other games in the series would've ever spawned the show. I enjoy their guests sometimes though, like Danielle and Steve (and other times, not so much).

I don't have that specific hang-up with the show, but I don't think the "seasons" after the first one have been as good. They simply don't have enough to talk about. The way I feel about it is that none of the other games in the series would've ever spawned the show. I enjoy their guests sometimes though, like Danielle and Steve (and other times, not so much).

I think you're right. I enjoyed DS2 talk, but the Bloodborne one doesn't interest me in the slightest. There was like 5 "mmmhmmm"s in the last show I listened to. I was cycling and I grew angrier and angrier with each one. I had to pull over and change the podcast because I couldn't concentrate on anything other than the "mmmhmmm"s.

Their guests are hit and miss. The two British guys (I think Twin Humanities) are the absolute worst. Constantly cracking jokes that just fall flat or make no sense whatsoever. I like the guy who talks about PvP from the hate mail tumblr, mainly because I like hearing the stories of PvP. Always gives me a laugh, because Souls PvP is just about being a massive butthole to everyone. 

I've just watched the one after the pvp one and yeah so far that's been the best. I discovered The Legend and a whole bunch of troll pvp era shortly after.

I've been following along ENB's play through of DS1 too which has been mostly fun and lore-y.

I'm co-writing a DnD campaign which involves old ones and a form of the undead curse so I'm plundering all reference material.