Erkki

Other podcasts

I genuinely couldn't believe his Zelda chat. I think he was just spoiling for a fight.

I realise this is a month late, but for me it was cathartic to hear him say those things because I fully agree with him on every point. If I were to make a list of things I don't understand why people love, Zelda would be at the top of it. Mostly because of how intensely people care about it (Twilight Princess reveal and all that). Good for them though, I just don't get it.

Gormongous!

History Extra has been a good history podcast to listen to. They usually do two disparate topics over an hour but they're almost always speaking to actual historians or talking to people that have researched historical works while writing narrative history which often enough brings up some interesting things that didn't make it into or were kept in mind while writing say Wolfe Hall or The Last Kingdom.

Other cool subjects include an interview with a co-creator of a Celtic exhibition as well as a look at how the word changed from involving ancient Greeks describing some people in Western Europe to being a sort of catch all term for some people from pre-Roman Britain. Also looking into a year of medieval England the year of the Magna Carta and seeing what the people of those days would have remembered as significant (like the division of The Bible into chapters), far more significant than a failed peace treaty that lead to civil war.

It's not deep dives like the Dan Carlin series but it is a series of very interesting drill cores of historical periods.

Some really cool popular history has been seen on YouTube lately. Extra History by Extra Credits has been fantastic their series on the South Seas Trading Company is my favourite highlight and their episodes on what they get wrong are as cool as the main body. There's also a week by week history of WWI that I forget the name of but is worth a look.

Some really cool popular history has been seen on YouTube lately. Extra History by Extra Credits has been fantastic their series on the South Seas Trading Company is my favourite highlight and their episodes on what they get wrong are as cool as the main body. There's also a week by week history of WWI that I forget the name of but is worth a look.

If you are interested in history on YouTube you might want to check History Respawned, too: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyx1mPZXobOxCyzO2CwmDZA

Full disclosure/admission of cheekiness: I work on this series alongside its founder, and so am not really in a place to say if it's really cool or not. I'm proud of it, though.

Oh hey, I had totally missed that Emily Reese, of the Top Score gaming music podcast, is part of a new thing called Joon that is a podcast network where full episodes are available by backing the podcast at a minimum of $1/mo on Patreon.  I really enjoyed TS, even though I ended up falling way behind on it (catching up is what actually led me to discover this).  I haven't given the mini/free episodes a listen to see what I think of Joon yet though. 

Id like to recommend "The wonder of it all" a podcast about film. The first 5 episodes have been about different aspects of horror films. It's an amateur/enthusiast podcast for people really in to films.2 people have a conversation about subjects like the thing, hating horror, Ti West... the host and his guests are smart and have some great discussions. Start with episode 2 though, the first doesn't have a guest and isn't as good.

The recent Dollop episode on the Iraq War is heartbreaking and enraging. Iraq was lost because of the bigotry and stupidity of a small handful of men in power. Iraq probably could have been rebuilt. Instead, they fired the army and anyone educated, made sure they were unable to feed their family, and then made a torture jail just to demonstrate how monstrous the people in charge were. So you have a lot of resentful people with guns, who then want to define themselves to be as anti-American as possible.

It makes an excellent case that America created ISIS.

Ah man, I wish I'd seen that Gamecity post earlier, I would have saught him out. It was good though! I was a bit rubbish but my guests were good. I'll hopefuly get a copy up soon if the audio holds up.

The audio does hold up (after a hasty re-upload). It's a good chat and quite a diversion from the usual format of the show. My guests are Malath Abbas, a designer based who Scotland who has made an art game called Killbox about drone warfare, Ste Curran, the host of One Life Left and creator of Chime, and the founder of Gamecity itself, Iain Simons.

Listen here: declandineen.com/checkpoints

Does anyone else listen to The Adventure Zone? They've just finished their 2nd season and although the race dragged on a little longer than it needed to it was still awesome. If no one has heard of it and you like My Brother, My Brother and Me then you've got to check it out. It's the McElroys playing D&D with their dad and I think it's hilarious. Taako is such a good character and it's really nice listening to a family that you can clearly tell is very close to each other. It's also pretty fun kind of predicting what's gonna happen next which normally turns out to be "Magnus charges in". 

I've also come to chime in about Radio Voice. I actually instantly got turned off 99% Invisible because of Roman's radio voice. It just seems so affected to me and I can't get passed it. I seem to notice it in American hosts more than British hosts, but maybe that's my personal bias. I've noticed it happens in video games Hotdog too. Not in the same manner, but there's just some noises the hosts make which bug the hell out of me. 

I listened to the first two episodes of The Adventure Zone, and, whilst I haven't listened to many D&D podcasts, it was by far the best. They do have great chemistry, and I think if the D&D element was omitted completely and they were just sat in a room, taking the piss out of each other, I'd like it just as much. One thing I also quite like is that it's apparent that some of them aren't very familiar with the rules of D&D, so there's a bit of (brief) explanation; helpful to me as someone who wants to up a game with my friends.

Best line so far:

"Where are you, dad?"

"I'm in the back of the wagon at the moment, studying my cantrips"

"Just say masturbating, dad"

I started listening to 99% invisible again, and man there really is just so much advertising. Up to a third of a 15 minute podcast is Roman Mars being smug about a thing you can get if you like how smug he is. It's frustrating in a way that it's not in other places.

I have and will continue to tweet about and talk about how much I love the Adventure Zone. It's my favorite podcast.

I started listening to 99% invisible again, and man there really is just so much advertising. Up to a third of a 15 minute podcast is Roman Mars being smug about a thing you can get if you like how smug he is. It's frustrating in a way that it's not in other places.

I listen at work, and can easily skip the intro and cut off the end.  But after someone else complained about that earlier, I made it a point to listen to an entire episode.  And yeah, 99 has more wasted/advertising time than any other podcast I have ever listened to. 

That was me, and yeah. Or at least it was also me.

I think part of the problem for me, is he really does sound smug as fuck when he's advertising. When he's teaching me about something, I love it, and it comes off how it's probably intended - a guy genuinely excited about and interested in sharing this information. But when he's preaching at me about how great his podcast network is and how it'd be just so lovely if I pitched in, I find it annoying!

I like to listen to podcasts when I go for a walk. One hour shows like This American Life and Radiolab are really nice for that purpose, but every now and then I like to try something different. So one time, I queued up a couple of episodes of 99% Invisible before stepping out. It was a disaster. The ad reads were so frequent that I was constantly reaching for my phone to skip them. Never going to try that again.

There we go! That's the word! Smug! How did I not think of that!? It's perfect. Also the ad reads kill me. 

I genuinely can't get enough of the McElroys to the point where I really only watch/listen to Polygon's stuff in hopes that'll be Justin or Griffin hosting. The latest arc with the magical unicorn had me in fucking stitches. Justin is amazing at doing character voices. Saying that all of them are pretty good at it. I cried with laughter on the metro at the part with little Jerry and gang. 

What do you guys think of Griffin's own musical interludes? I really like them as they're fairly simple and add more than they distract. 

I do like TAZ, but didn't much care for the race arc. That said, the flop house episode was INCREDIBLE and my favourite and actually made me listen to the flop house!

I have tried The Flop House and it has never clicked.  And it's not like I don't like those style of podcasts, because I listen to How Did This Get Made, but it just doesn't work for me.  And the really shit MaxFun ads for it aren't helping that at all.  (Actually, in general, the ads for MaxFun podcasts suck and generally make me less interested in listening to those shows.)

Also, the race arc was great.  It was kinda like the show took a month or so to turn into Mad Max: Fury Road with magic.

I don't mind the max fun ads actually, but see why others might not like them. I am a Max Fun donor and understand why the add still exist even if they're less than ideal.

I don't mind having the ads in the shows themselves and I totally get why they do them, but the Flophouse one really put me off the show. I'd check out the show myself but I'm not one for bad movies in an ironic sense. I'd rather just check out a good movie and it would drive me crazy listening to discussion about a movie I haven't seen.

It's a shame there's not "TAZ best of"s because I'd love to listen to some of the highlights again without fishing through entire episodes for them. I really want to listen to their interactions with Angus McDonald the kid detective again. Does anyone know which episode he features in most? 

Roman Mars is the worst fluff culprit on 99% Invisible. Even aside from ad reads, points about Radiotopia and thanks to sponsors, sometimes an episode of another Radiotopia show is just added at the end of the episode (obviously to boost that show's popularity).

Totally agree about the MaxFun ads sucking. The MBMBAM ads suck in the flop house, and the reverse is true in MBMBAM. It's strange how bad they are, really. Also, I think Jordan Jesse Go weren't that funny when they did MBMBAM...

Roman Mars is the worst fluff culprit on 99% Invisible. Even aside from ad reads, points about Radiotopia and thanks to sponsors, sometimes an episode of another Radiotopia show is just added at the end of the episode (obviously to boost that show's popularity).

I was  catching up on it yesterday and in a  20 min podcast 5 were ad stuff the end but it's free and I can skip it so ok. I remember hating his son after a couple of occasion I let it run into the ads though.

Also when I was listing history podcasts I forgot to mention history according to Bob. This how has been running since before 2006 when I started listening to it. Every day bob (a history teacher) releases a 10-15 minute episode on a particular topic  so every Monday its the wars of Alexanders sucessors,Tuesday the history of Prussia etc 6 days a week. Well worth listening to especially since he lists he sources at the end of every episode if you feel like reading about the topic to learn more.