Erkki

Other podcasts

Holy fuck! I'm in LOVE with Errthag. Al Letson of Reveal of State of the Union fame brings his love for Errthang (everything) to a podcast.

http://errthangshow.com/?project=episode-1

http://errthangshow.com/?project=episode-3

and I highly recommend checking out the new one

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/errthang-show!/id996536891

Kieron Gillen was great. I liked his thoughts on the utilitarian nature of games as well as Zelda. Agreed with him on both accounts.

Also I don't know if Thumbs forum people have heard the news, but I suspect they will tomorrow if you listen to the new episode of Justice Points but after 2.5 years, Tzufit and I are stopping the show in December, permanently. Thank you everyone on the Idle Thumbs forums for being super supportive and whatnot. 

This is a bummer, I'll miss the cast. The latest one was really good (especially the Beginner's Guide chatter) and made the news harder.

Re: Undertale. If your problem with difficulty is the bullet hell sections or just generally not having enough health it will only get harder. You might be better off just watching let's plays I'm afraid. It's a shame it's too hard for some people, because I feel like it's a rare case of the difficulty being a worthwhile aspect to the message. In part it's difficult because it suits the emotional journey. It is easier to reject empathy and kill things, but easier is not the same as better.

Also I didn't even notice the assumed competence of RPG mechanics. I have played a few, probably not a ton. I expect people like me suggest it wholeheartedly, not even realising there is the competence required. It's also funny that you said it was boring compared to WoW, because I feel the exact same way about it. I only played low level basic WoW, so the combat is just boring as other RPGs since all you do is click to use attacks.

If anyone is a fan of the Star Wars Minute podcast there's a new podcast spin-off focusing on Goodfellas featuring the three hosts of the ifanboy podcast. For those who don't know the format, it's a daily podcast that talks about the film (so in this case Goodfellas) one minute at a time. They'll probably get a variety of guests, the Star Wars Minute podcast had a lot of guests including people like Doug Benson. It's only on episode #14 right now (so they're 14 minutes into the film) and I'm really digging it.

http://goodfellasminute.com

WNYC is planning on launching an entire podcast division separate from it's traditional radio offerings.  Definitely some interesting shows they have planned, I'm particularly curious about a show dedicated to the Supreme Court, hopefully it's a mix of history and current rulings. 

I dunno, I think he's right about Zelda (both in the simple surface sense that I also find it a bit boring as a series, but more importantly on the sense in which growing up with series like Zelda and Mario is an important factor in people enjoying them - like Kieron, I really barely had any experience of console gaming as a child, and I therefore similarly lack the right built-in "training" about how to interact with those game, or the conditioning that leads to enjoying them. Meanwhile, I played a lot of arcadey games on the Amiga, and I still really like those games, due to similar conditioning - I'll also always really want to see what dumb FPS games do at any point in time, just because I played lots of Doom and Quake when I was 15-16.).

I can provide counterpoint to this: I played a Link to the Past to death, and have never since enjoyed a Zelda game besides the gameboy one that was pretty much a remake.

I think for me it's that ALttP so perfectly fills the need I have and had for that type of game that all the million follow-ups and knock-offs end up boring me.

The fact that the Zelda universe's fiction is so generic and kind of dull (not to mention my inherent dislike of rescuing kidnapped ladies) made my interest in any Zelda games that did break the mold still not very appealing.

I can provide counterpoint to this: I played a Link to the Past to death, and have never since enjoyed a Zelda game besides the gameboy one that was pretty much a remake.

I think for me it's that ALttP so perfectly fills the need I have and had for that type of game that all the million follow-ups and knock-offs end up boring me.

The fact that the Zelda universe's fiction is so generic and kind of dull (not to mention my inherent dislike of rescuing kidnapped ladies) made my interest in any Zelda games that did break the mold still not very appealing.

Same except with Link's Awakening.

Hey, is anyone still listening to Isometric? Has it calmed down since I quit at the beginning of the year, after the GOTY fiasco and then the string of boring-ass episodes about gaming controversies? I miss a lot of Isometric's energy, but if it still has the "alpha host" problem, then I'm trying my best to chalk it up to nostalgia.

I know I quit the Wu show and never looked back. I may have to relisten now that Justice Points is going away. I needs my SJWcast.

Yes if there is a good SJW cast replacement I would love suggestions. I'm gonna need my podcast actually about current games stuff.

i was gonna plug key frames since i think people just habitually ignore the actual thread at this point but it's not an sjw podcast at all so i'll just leave......

I'm going to try Not Your Mama's gamer as part of a broad Ess jay dubbuyuh fix.

I'm not sure where to go from there. Maybe I'll listen to more of Laura K Buzz?

I also quit Isometric around that time. I miss hearing Maddy, Steve, and Georgia, but I find Wu to be abrasive in that performatively aggressive nerd way that I find most video game podcast hosts to be abrasive. 

I would love if Maddy was a guest form time to time on Idle Weekend, now that there is a thumbs shows based out of the east coast. 

I also quit Isometric around that time. I miss hearing Maddy, Steve, and Georgia, but I find Wu to be abrasive in that performatively aggressive nerd way that I find most video game podcast hosts to be abrasive.

Just listened to a random episode of Isometric from the late summer and, within the fifteen minutes, Brianna Wu i) literally makes everyone start the podcast over when they're not suitably impressed by the workshop she did at Harvard, ii) interrupts Steve multiple times when he's trying to introduce Maddy because his actions as host make him "the patriarchy," iii) draws out a DV joke about her husband playing as Bowser for almost five minutes, and iv) asks Georgia to psychoanalyze Steve again, out of nowhere and for no reason. I know that all of those are in jest, but together they make me feel like I'm listening to someone be bullied. So yeah, definitely just as bad as I had left it.

Justice Points is going away.

WHAT

edit: now having caught up on a page of posts, and despite not having any real time of late with which to have pods of any sort cast into my ear, boo hoo: thank you, Tszufi and Apple Cider, for the Justice Points you have made. I was just thinking about one of your discussions today, you have made a difference, a real difference in quality to a ton of peoples' lives. All the best with whatever comes next for the both of you, please keep us posted!

I will definitely update the thread with the projects myself and Tzufit are working on (though I am looking forward to a much needed break.) !

However, I do chafe at any of the podcasts listed being referred to as SJW podcasts, even jokingly. We're all feminists (of some degree) and I think all of us like being referred to as that. We're women actively participating in social justice/feminist work and I'd love if that was maintained when talking about us (NYMG, Isometric, etc.) 

Isometric: I have largely given up on it other than the episodes where Wu hasn't been around because yes, she's annoying and authoritative. However, listen to the episodes from recently where they've had guests on, a huge step up in quality and actually good discussions. 

I am getting a new phone with a real, adult-sized amount of memory in it! I am excited to start gathering more podcasts and not have to trim so judiciously.

Please continue to recommend any and all Fictional Radio Show style podcasts they are my favorite. The recent Limetown recommendation was spot on.

More! I HUNGER!

ps a podcast about anime: http://www.keyframespodcast.com/ 

thread where it started: https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/10013-ouran-boast-club-planning-an-anime-podcast/

I fell into the Radiotopia hole finally - 99% Invisible, Gastropod and The Theory of Everything are TOP PICKS. Also I finally got Pocketcasts web app so I can listen easily at work. I listen to SO many more podcasts now that I can just queue them up in an easy player. 

I like The Allusionist from Radiotopia. It's about words and etymology.

Oh yes, I also just added that though I am liking a little less just because I have a hard time parsing accents in podcasts. :(

Haha, that's fair. I listen to and watch a lot of British junk, so I've become well acclimated.

It is my bane - I LOVE British shit but auditory processing disorders suck! So often I have to turn on subtitles for stuff if it's British. 

Oh man, I need to plunk down the nine bucks or whatever for the pocket casts web player so I can just play stuff from my computer while I clean or whatever.

I also just picked up 99% invisible and its so good! Different interesting topics and it's usually under 30 minutes! Need more casts to be shorter like that.

Yeah, they do really good stories about design and infrastructure with a human interest twist. The re-release of their episode on the CityCorp building is UNFUCKINGREAL.