Erkki

Other podcasts

I sped through the archives of Gaming is a 4 Letter Word and I have to sincerely suggest that everyone listens to it. 

Definitely.

xir, the only feedback I can provide about Gaming is a 4 Letter Word is to maybe tap the brakes on some of the audio cues. You've put together a great podcast with some impressive interviews and stories -- you don't need some of the little audio interruptions in them. The work is high quality, so let it breathe a bit.

I only listened to the CULT episode of Game is a 4 Letter Word, but I really enjoyed it. Not quite as slickly produced as A Life Well Wasted, but I'm so happy that somebody took up the mantle of that show.

Agreed with Mangela that the audio cues don't need to be quite so prevalent. Also, in the episode I listened to, there were several different interviewers who all had similar voices. Maybe splitting up those sections a bit more consistently and using people's names a bit more often would help differentiate that stuff.

Otherwise, it was great. I'll probably go back and listen to the rest of them at some point.

yeah the jumpiness/art house style of audio cues and produced voices at points is a bit jarring, especially with an auditory processing disorder. 

Checkpoints episode 18 is now up with guest Jason Rohrer.

Web  RSS  iTunes

When I started this show I made up a short list of dream guests, Jason was one of them, so as you can imagine this was a real thrill for me. Add in the fact that he talks in great detail about the game he's currently working on, a game which sounds incredible and one which I don't think has been featured or talked about anywhere else, and this is a truly great episode, please do share it around if you like it. 

If you're not familiar with Jason, just a quick glance through his wiki should make you realise how fascinating a guy he is, and do yourself a favour and play Passage. It only takes five minutes but what a five minutes: http://hcsoftware.sourceforge.net/passage/

If no one's mentioned it, Limetown is kind of neat...it's fiction/sci fi audiodrama but delivered as if it were Serial.

Wow. I already like Limetown after just listening to the introduction. I guess I would have like radio dramas back in the old timey days. 

I have gotten really into the Sex Nerd Sandra podcast. Its has lots of lighthearted discussion of sex and relationships. I do feel super subversive listening to it at work or on the bus. No one has idea that I'm listening to a in depth discussion of cunnilingus.

I've been really digging You Must Remember This, a podcast about the history of Hollywood, but focusing on the lesser known, hidden, forgotten or secret aspects.  I started with last season, which is all about the Manson Family murders, and the surprising connections (to me, who knows almost nothing about them) between Hollywood, the music industry and Manson.

I've been meaning to check that podcast out. 

One of my favorite movie critics, Sean Witzke, have given nothing but love to that cast.

I've been really digging You Must Remember This, a podcast about the history of Hollywood, but focusing on the lesser known, hidden, forgotten or secret aspects.  I started with last season, which is all about the Manson Family murders, and the surprising connections (to me, who knows almost nothing about them) between Hollywood, the music industry and Manson.

That mason series is great as it the previous star wars : looking at hollywood stars involvement in WW2. Its new season just started where it is looking at MGM over 50 years and various different people who worked there. So far it has been fascinating.

There is another series called the secret history of hollywood I heard good stuff about but haven't checked out cause the episodes are between 2-5 hours long including one about sex in the silent era.

I really like the We Hate Movies (http://www.whmpodcast.com/) from which I recommend the episodes: Abraxas, Canvas, Blame it on Rio, Tuff Truf. Also I would recomend Digital Drift podcast(http://www.digitaldrift.podbean.com/) from which I recommend the Lord of the Ring episodes, the Bad Reviews againt Humanity (this are really funny) as start points.

A few days before his 40th birthday I sat down for a meander through Video game past with  Kieron Gillen. After a long and storied career in Video game journalism - from early beginnings at Amiga Power to becoming one of the founders of Rock, Paper, Shotgun via New Games Journalism - Kieron has moved on to a successful career as a comic book writer and been annoyingly great at that too. With a hugely successful run of books from Thor to Darth Vader, as well as his two creator owned books with Jamie McKelvie, Phonogram and the Wicked and the Divine, which has recently been optioned for a TV series.

We discuss a lot of video games. Early disappointment with The Hobbit, the importance of Gauntlet, the quality of writing in Speedball 2, creating poets in Princess Maker, the communal joy of Chaos, an alternate God Hand future, how Let's Plays are the final form of New Games Journalism and you don't want to know what he thinks about Zelda. Also a story of a testicle based injury caused by City of Heroes. You're welcome.

Checkpoints #19 - RSS   iTUNES  WEB

I had NO idea that he was almost 40, jesus! Excited to give this a listen.

Also I don't know if Thumbs forum people have heard the news, but I suspect they will tomorrow if you listen to the new episode of Justice Points but after 2.5 years, Tzufit and I are stopping the show in December, permanently. Thank you everyone on the Idle Thumbs forums for being super supportive and whatnot. 

Midway through the episode and loving it. Kieron Gillen's certainly one of my favourite writers right now, even if he's completely wrong about Zelda.

I dunno, I think he's right about Zelda (both in the simple surface sense that I also find it a bit boring as a series, but more importantly on the sense in which growing up with series like Zelda and Mario is an important factor in people enjoying them - like Kieron, I really barely had any experience of console gaming as a child, and I therefore similarly lack the right built-in "training" about how to interact with those game, or the conditioning that leads to enjoying them. Meanwhile, I played a lot of arcadey games on the Amiga, and I still really like those games, due to similar conditioning - I'll also always really want to see what dumb FPS games do at any point in time, just because I played lots of Doom and Quake when I was 15-16.).

I genuinely couldn't believe his Zelda chat. I think he was just spoiling for a fight. 

Also I don't know if Thumbs forum people have heard the news, but I suspect they will tomorrow if you listen to the new episode of Justice Points but after 2.5 years, Tzufit and I are stopping the show in December, permanently. Thank you everyone on the Idle Thumbs forums for being super supportive and whatnot. 

No way! Is there any specific reason? I was going to say that's a shame (and it is for listeners) but it might be exactly what you want.

Also, RE: the growing up thing, I've thought about this a lot and I wonder how much of it is down to the power of the music and sound effects. I think it's telling that one of main points that came up was the chest opening sound. The music in many of Nintendo's long running games have been absolutely stellar, and the various hints and remixes always fill me with a warm sense of comfort. I get the same with movies too. Jurassic World was mostly terrible but it had that music and suddenly I forgave it's myriad sins. Even something as crass and objectively bad as Michael Bay's Transformers would have got a pass from me had the music over the credits been Stan Bush's The Touch.  OK maybe that's too far.

I genuinely couldn't believe his Zelda chat. I think he was just spoiling for a fight. 

No way! Is there any specific reason? I was going to say that's a shame (and it is for listeners) but it might be exactly what you want.

My cohost wanted to recede from gaming entirely and so I decided to sunset the show vs. looking for someone to fill-in. It's a little sad but it's alright, I think. :)

A few days before his 40th birthday I sat down for a meander through video game past with  Kieron Gillen. After a long and storied career in video game journalism - from early beginnings at Amiga Power to becoming one of the founders of Rock, Paper, Shotgun via New Games Journalism - Kieron has moved on to a successful career as a comic book writer and been annoyingly great at that too. With a hugely successful run of books from Thor to Darth Vader, as well as his two creator owned books with Jamie McKelvie, Phonogram and the Wicked and the Divine, which has recently been optioned for a TV series.

We discuss a lot of video games. Early disappointment with The Hobbit, the importance of Gauntlet, the quality of writing in Speedball 2, creating poets in Princess Maker, the communal joy of Chaos, an alternate God Hand future, how Let's Plays are the final form of New Games Journalism and you don't want to know what he thinks about Zelda. Also a story of a testicle based injury caused by City of Heroes. You're welcome.

Checkpoints #19 - RSS   iTUNES  WEB

Just finished the episode. Regarding the stuff near the end about Barcade and the joy of curating games for people: for two years, I worked at a board game cafe. For much of that, a lot of my job was doing exactly what Kieron was describing - recommending games to people, teaching them, explaining their significance if they seemed interesting. It really was a super cool job.