Erkki

Other podcasts

I'm going to make a 'cast sampler CD as a present for my dad, as he likes listening to radio but isn't very tech savvy. 

Could people recommend me some stuff? He's very smart and likes comedy (though not sitcoms or sketch shows), history, science. Basically anything that isn't fiction. He likes Douglas Adams, Ben Goldacre, Charlie Brooker, Just A Minute, QI, Have I Got News For You, that sort of thing.

So far, I'm planning on including the QI There's No Such Thing As A Fish 'cast and maybe a Dead Authors episode...

Hmm... Radiolab for science, etc. stuff. The Bugle for satire (though they seem to be on some sort of hiatus at the moment). Some episode of This American Life for some personal stories, e.g. The SuperThe Mystery Show for something completely different. 

Cool, thank you! Oh, I forgot to mention, I'd like to try and get a fair amount of British stuff on there...

Ah, these are all great, thanks! Keep 'em coming if anyone can think of any more, please! I've also added Private Eye...

There is the british history podcast and the history of england podcast both worth checking out.. BBC4 have most of their shows in podcast form - Thinking allowed, in our time are two I listen to.

For Ben X's dad:

99% Invisible

Hardcore History

You are not so smart

Regular Features (jk, tho it is British)

Great, thank you both!

You know, it's only just occurred to me that a CD isn't going to hold all of these. I wonder if I could fit it all on a DVD and whether that would play in a normal stereo. Otherwise perhaps I'll have to get him a small USB stick/mp3 player...

I just finished listening to Watch Out For Fireballs! which I saw mentioned in a thread on Neogaf. Each episode focuses on a single game, and they seem to vary in length from around 1h30m to about 3h in length.

The one I heard was about Zombies on the SNES, a game I loved as a kid, but which I never would have seen the end of if the level select codes weren't already written in the manual (it was pre-owned). The two hosts talked about it with a great deal of enthusiasm and it was plain to me that they both enjoyed it a lot, but they weren't gushing and focused more-or-less equally on positives and negatives. I don't think they failed to touch on any single aspect of the game, which is great 'cos often with podcasts something will be missed out or skipped over, either because it's considered less important or there are too many hosts jostling for attention.

Looking forward to listening to more of this.

The WoFF guys are known associates of at least some of the Thumbs and the video games Hotdog guys. Podcasting cabal, yo.

Danielle was on a recent episode of bonfireside chat for example. Good times.

I have no idea if this goes here, but the videos on Polygon involving Nick Robinson and X person playing a game I think are becoming the funniest to me. That guy has a sense of timing I love.

Also the Polygon video where Danielle and Griffin play Sheltered is amazing.

My favorite polygon videos are:

Hearthstonerz with phil "#1 beta cuck" kollar & griffin "420blazeit" McElroy

Anytime Justin & Griffin McElroy play a game together, specifically Catlateral Damage and the Monster Factory Series

Nick Robinson with either of the McElroys or Phil Kollar, highlights include a multipart sonic dreams collection series.

Yeah it was definitely the hilarity of the Sonic Dreams Collection that got me waiting for whatever nonsense Nick Robinson was going to say next. I already watching some other person on Youtube play it, but they played it in a more bizarre and playful way. Stuffing Sonic into the garage shelf had me laughing out loud for a bit.

phil "#1 beta cuck" kollar

Ahahaha, that popped out of left field and I loved it.

Unless some bullies on Twitter were actually saying that, but I still think it's funny because it's an utterly moronic insult.

When Justin and Griffin played the car mechanic simulator, I was in tears.

I'm glad you like them.

I'm thinking of starting newsletter through tiny letter and being a podcast curator. I listen to so much, I really want to share them.

I've listened to several of Namman's recent recommendations, and have to say I've enjoyed every single one of them so far.  Been binging on American RadioWorks today while playing some catchup with some work.

Checkpoints #17 is up - Today's guest is the Scottish novelist Christopher Brookmyre. Chris's love of video games is peppered through many of his books, but most distinctly in his recent novel Bedlam which has subsequently become it's own Video game. We talk Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy, video games as fuel for imagination,  trolling Dreamcast players, and the parallels between the Quake scene of the 90s and the Punk scene of the 70s. All fun and games until someone loses an eye.

Web RSS iTunes

Episode 3 of Game is a 4 Letter Word is up, and I really dig this one, probably because I had little to do with it!

The word is CULT and we talk to a film historian about what makes a cult film and how that could apply to games.

We attend an Earthbound/Mother convention and explore gender roles, the happy blue cult, translation aspects, and more.

And Don't Die's David Wolinsky talks to Merritt Kopas and Gita Jackson about being famous in a particular subculture and what that means

rss: gameisa4letterword.libsyn.com

itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/nz/podcast/game-is-a-4-letter-word/id1021130095

Episode 3 of Game is a 4 Letter Word is up, and I really dig this one, probably because I had little to do with it!

The word is CULT and we talk to a film historian about what makes a cult film and how that could apply to games.

We attend an Earthbound/Mother convention and explore gender roles, the happy blue cult, translation aspects, and more.

And Don't Die's David Wolinsky talks to Merritt Kopas and Gita Jackson about being famous in a particular subculture and what that means

itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/nz/podcast/game-is-a-4-letter-word/id1021130095

Your RSS feed is http://gameisa4letterword.libsyn.com/rss actually. I am glad you posted here because the RSS feed you have via your Tumblr page is broken and won't work with catchers and I've been trying to find where your actual site was located because it's not what's listed on your Twitter, I think, and I wanted a place to either pull the podcasts into my web catcher on Pocketcasts or listen directly via your page and your old website had neither. :<