Erkki

Other podcasts

Hey so I've done a few more eps of Checkpoints since I last stopped in here. The episode with Geoff Glendenning was very UK centric and quite niche so I wasn't sure if it'd appeal to you guys, but for me it was amazing. He's a marketing guy, and he basically came up with all the branding and advertising for the Playstation launch in the UK. It was bold stuff, and caused a monumental shift in gaming perceptions for the country. He made it cool.

The last ep was with Cara Ellison was great, and having listened to the Justice Points ep with Cara I can also guarantee they are very different chats :) Do subscribe and tell your friends etc. I think I'm too quiet online, I'm really proud of the show but I've kind of plateaued with listeners. If anyone who runs a show has any tips for growing an audience I'm all ears. I've do have some great guests coming up including John Ribbins, the creator of Olli Olli, the author Christopher Brookmyre and the amazing Jason Rohrer.

Thanks!

RSS iTunes Web

I adored your chat with Cara. I think the biggest thing about growing your audience might be to also ask your guests to promote their appearance a bit - you've gotten some individuals with quite a bit of clout on, but I haven't really seen anything from them about it. Might just be timezones though.

I was trying out a new podcast app a few minutes ago, which meant I needed to resubscribe to all the stuff I already listen to. I searched for idle thumbs, and I stumbled across a hot scoop about an upcoming show.

I don't know if finding that made me feel like a cool guy, or just someone with way too much free time on my hands.

Ooh, exciting! I really want a good weekly (or at least regularly updated) dotacast, so I'm sure I'll be disappointed when most of those episodes are about HotS or Hearthstone or whatever.

Our very own Danielle Riendeau is on a Souls-podcast today!

It's called Bonfireside Chat. The current season is discussing Bloodborne, and Danielle's ep has been my favorite of the season! 

Cool!  I actually quit listening to Bonfireside Chat awhile back, but I'll have to make sure to download this episdoe.

Latest Checkpoints is up, with guest John Ribbins from Roll7, developers of OlliOlli. We talk Urban Chaos, Rocket League, Doom, Death Tank, Bullet Storm and California Games amongst many others. Plus a chat about the surprising history of Roll7, from designing games to raise awareness of knife crime to games augmented by reading your brainwaves. Hope you enjoy it!

RSS   Web   iTunes

Hey declan, that last episode was very interesting, never would have guessed the Olli Olli folks had such a varied past.

It's crazy right? I felt bad for pretty much saying so while we were chatting but I'm sure John understood. You just don't expect those kind of projects from a company that's famous for this minimalist skateboarding game. It's stuff like this that keeps me really excited about the show. Video game creators are still largely anonymous, even amongst enthusiasts, yet there's so few avenues for people to discover these fascinating pasts and personal struggles.T

Thanks for listening!

Not sure if it's been mentioned already but I really enjoy Match3. It's about video games, but with a focus on cultural impact. Hosted by Gita Jackson (one of my favorite games journalists), Patrick Klepek, and a guy named Sam Phillips who is a middle school teacher (unexpected, but I really like the discussions about his students and their experiences with games).

I know it may have been mentioned before but Video Games Hot Dog is a great cast, they do weekly "assignments" in addition to general video game discussion, and this week's was the Sonic Dreams Collection which the Thumbs talked about last week.  They frequently mention similar games and I think it's really interesting to get the two different spins on the same things.  Jim of Frog Fractions fame is also on there and is really cool, in addition to some of my favorite wordsmiths, Zach, Riff, and Kevin of Kingdom of Loathing.

http://video gameshotdog.com/

For something that's probably out of the realm of typical listening here, a friend of mine who works as a sex surrogate gave an interview on a podcast about her work. 

It sounded like an interesting podcast, but I couldn't finish it. The hosts voice is really annoying as is her constant introspection about her, IMO boring thoughts, and there is way too much music in the background.

It sounded like an interesting podcast, but I couldn't finish it. The hosts voice is really annoying as is her constant introspection about her, IMO boring thoughts, and there is way too much music in the background.

I had a similar reaction to the host's voice, but I wasn't sure if that was just me.  I had to turn it up louder than I usually listen to podcasts to understand everything she said.  If I didn't know Kendra personally, I don't know if I would have finished it or not. 

Autostraddle had a list of 6 gaming podcasts by women which included justince points along with two podcast that I started listening to. Heroines journey is focused on women in pop culture and I have listened to the episodes on farscape, jane the virgin so far and they are very interersting as a far of both shows. The other one is fresh out of tokens which is by the woman who started the we need diverse games hashtag. It wasn't on the list but I started listening to  woodland secrets which is the podcast companion to the indie game site forest ambassador. It's an interview podcast that was orginally a reward to patreon backers but is not available to all.

I don't know why, but Forest Ambassador didn't click for me. Part of it is a high high degree of discussion of media/games I've never heard of. Usually when the ratio is a bit better I can hang, like when the Thumbs or VGHotdog talks through an unknown game.

I'm not #altgames enough :(

Hi! I made a podcast about video game. Yeah, I know.  

But it's not a roundtable, it's a produced show a bit like This American Life or 99% Invisible.  It's called Game is a 4 Letter Word, and each episode we take a a real 4 letter word for fuel.

Episode 1 is PINK and we talked to a lawyer, a musician, a producer, a curator, and some movie monsters

tumblr_ntnvvpkbbB1tk6aoio1_540.png

Itunes RSS SoundCloud

Our very own Danielle Riendeau is on a Souls-podcast today!

It's called Bonfireside Chat. The current season is discussing Bloodborne, and Danielle's ep has been my favorite of the season! 

I'm a little behind on the show so I just listened to it today and it was a pleasant surprise. Quite often their guests don't contribute much to the discussion, and I think that even the hosts themselves haven't found as much to say about some areas this season, but this episode was great. Danielle fit in super well.

I just feel like shilling a podcast I like. This week's Reply All is something special. The hosts realize that they've wasted the summer working for a podcasting company and go on a series of adventures in New York, including but not limited to, breaking into an abandoned building, bribing a harbormaster, and taking a carriage ride in the park together. It's pretty great. In a note that only applies to me, I also think it's a great model for teaching audio essays if you're into that kind of thing.

That episode was really nice. I like that podcast a lot, though I think the individual episode quality varies a lot. Probably as a result of being the core to a for profit podcasting network and having to regularly put episodes.

In particular with that episode I thought it was funny how they obviously had to put in tons of work for what was supposed to come off as an episode where they packed it in to just wander around goofing off.

Literally listening to Reply All as I read the post about Reply All. It's the Exit & Return episode about outcasts from Hasidic communities. Completely fascinating.

Yes, I think some of the episodes are up and down as well, but the topics are up and down. Since they comment on it, I am going to throw my voice behind the fact that I really like the Yes, Yes, No segment.

I'd be curious to hear if there are tensions between Gimlet hosts since PJ and Alex seem to be under pressure to put out an episode of Reply All pretty much every week (which probably does result in some of the weaker episodes) while Mystery Show runs pretty infrequently (probably because of the research and travel that goes into some of the episodes). 

And yes, I love Yes, Yes, No also. Hearing Alex Bloomberg talk about internet stuff makes me feel like I'm at least moderately in touch with things happening in the digital world.

I definitely think they're pressured for it. They're the only consistent output for the company so theyre being relied on pretty heavily, meanwhile Mystery Show was delayed for weeks before suddenly appearing and being the last in the first series. I kinda wonder if one mystery just didn't pan out, I'd like to hear a StartUp episode about it.

I can't talk about it yet because it's not 100% settled but I think I got a guest I'm a fucking fangirl about and I'm trying not to scream and freak out about it, I think I'm the only person who is. I try so hard to be professional but sometimes it blows me away that people in the industry want to come on and do our show.