Erkki

Other podcasts

Dungeon World is great.

One of the designers runs a couple of streamed games for Rollplay and Roll20.net if you want to check to check him out. His name is Adam Koebel.

My partner has actually been recording a D&D podcast for a couple months now, but I can't link you to it because the DM has been too lazy to edit and upload any of them yet. But from what I've heard of it, it's very performance driven, with a de-emphasis on combat and systems. Maybe when it goes up I'll link to it here.

I searched the forum and didn't see any discussion of it, but the X-Files Files is really great. It is hosted by Kumail Nanjiani as he and friends watch major X-Files episodes. I really enjoy it and find it really comforting, I guess? I am mid-second season with many to go, but A+ so far.

I would like to report on my d&d podcast findings: the official d&d podcasts with the robot chicken writing staff are boring as shit and I gave up three episodes in.  For some reason I thought that Seth Green might be one of the players and I was very dismayed to discover that he was not, and also that it takes them maybe three minutes into the first episode to get to a dick joke.  Boring White Nerd Dudes Taking About They Dicks is basically my least favorite genre of podcast.

I re-listened to the first episode of Nerd Poker and it was funnier than I remember it being (one of them does a bit where they goof about fictional sponsors that's pretty great), and now that I am all het up about d&d, the actual gameplay parts of the episode are less boring.  Especially now that I've listened to some exceptionally awful d&d podcasts and know how deep and dark that particular pit is.

I've been enjoying Roleplaying Public Radio's Actual Play feed (http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/) which posts two fairly lengthy episodes a week - they have two ongoing campaigns at any given time (though they're not posted in real time) and then intersperse those with one shots over one to three sessions. If you specifically need D&D, they've done one 4E campaign in a custom setting, one partial 4E Dark Sun campaign, one Iron Heroes campaign (which is a D&D derivative) with a mechanic stolen from Reign, and a couple of D&D or D&D-esque one shots, but a lot more of their time is spent with other systems nowadays. Which is just as well, I think they're a lot more entertaining in other games because it's not so ridiculously dominated by combat. Not that D&D's combat isn't fun, but it's not super exciting as an passive listening experience, in my book. Warning: if you do go back to that 4E campaign, they used to have a couple of players who got pretty majorly off color at times. One (Cody), I found pretty entertaining myself. The other (Mike) got weird enough they parted ways. On the other hand, I don't think they ever got as rape jokey as early Nerd Poker, if indeed they went there at all (which I can't recall), so YMMV. Even Cody's been gone quite a while at this point (too busy) and he got a little more restrained as they went on. And there's a player with a verbal tic that's kind of tough to take early on. It gets a lot better as the years roll on, though, and he produces some of the most memorable moments.

Caught up with Justice Points although as I write this I'm noticing that ep 102 is up now (hah). Been hearing some fun and thought provoking stuff. Like the masculinity of consoles; the continued stubbornness of AAA games to include hot topic race issues without any other races or cultures. Cara Ellison being a guest was a real treat; the other guests I've heard have all been cool but this is the first one who I've recognised and have seen their media before. I had no idea she'd become involved in games writing. It'll be super interesting to see what the writer of the S.EXE series brings to the relationships of her own characters. I should probably go play Sacrelidge sometime too.

Someone recommended it here a couple weeks ago- and it's not D&D- but Friends at the Table is fantastic. It's done over Skype, so production is lacking sometimes, but the players and GM are great. I think part of it is that the game they're using (Dungeon World) seems more focused on letting people create and react to situations instead of looking up detailed rules.

They just started a new campaign this week, based up on the Mechnoir variant of the Technoir ruleset. A fan also made an anime music video of their audio trailer:

I stumbled across a D&D podcast run by Unwinnable. I haven't looked at it yet, and it's only two episodes so far. But it could be fun eh?

It's called Eye of the Beerholder.

Apparently, Forest Ambassador has had a podcast going for Patreon subscribers (I did not know this). They just announced that the podcast is going to be freely distributed. I haven't heard it yet, but I'm excited to try it out since Forest Ambassador highlights the games I want to hear talk about.
http://forestambassador.com/post/124964885537/the-future-of-forest-ambassador-woodland-secrets

Not that I've seen, it sounded like it will go out as their normal episode for this week though.

I'm not familiar with how Hitbox's archiving works -- it may show up there eventually too.

The episode is going to be out as the normal episode for the week plus a half hour that the stream didn't get (because we were only allowed an hour!)

I checked out NPR's Snap Judgement podcast and in the episode 'Sex, Lies, and Audiotape' I heard one of the coolest stories I've had the chance to hear on a podcast.

The segment is called A Stich in Time and it's a personal interview with 78 year old Arminda Palacios who was the head seamstress for the Hotel Bauen of Buenos Aires, Argentina for twenty years. Unfortunately during an unprecedented financial crisis all staff at the hotel were laid off and the establishment fell into disrepair. But the former employees of the hotel banded together to take ownership of the hotel and repair it from the ground up.

Btw I'm listening to the backlog of JP and I'm down to the Danielle & Patricia guest episode and I had no friggin idea that Patricia Hernandez was behind Nightmare Mode. I loved that website after finding it through those Sunday Papers features by RPS and was super bummed when it closed down. 

I am starting to be driven crazy by podcasts that format interview audio so the interviewer and interviewee are each in one ear. I constantly worry that my headphones are broken. Similarly too quiet audio so max volume is barely enough. 

I am starting to be driven crazy by podcasts that format interview audio so the interviewer and interviewee are each in one ear. I constantly worry that my headphones are broken. Similarly too quiet audio so max volume is barely enough. 

What? I have never heard one of these, that is a terrible way to mix audio.

What? I have never heard one of these, that is a terrible way to mix audio.

Its not even some amature casts, its BBC science radio shows.

That might be because of what they're recording with! They might have a positional audio recorder, so the audio from either person would be stronger on whatever side of the recorder they're sitting on. I've heard some recordings from those that are pretty lopsided. Never anything that isolates them to either ear though...

A lot of field recorders have two directional mics, but unless you're posting something akin to a raw audio file, you should still be able to mix it more balanced.

Link isn't working for me Apple Cider.

Link should work now. 

Note: Audio coming in in separate ears (tracks) is sometimes a function of certain 3rd party Skype recorders that splits the audio of each person into a stereo but different channel audio track

You can always download the mp3 and convert it to mono in Audacity.