Erkki

Other podcasts

I listened to This American Life episode The Friendly Man, and found Scott Carrier's voice and style really intriguing and absorbing. I already asked if anyone has read his books over at the Books, books, books... thread. Shortly after that, I discovered that he has his own podcast Home of the Brave. I have listened a few episodes so far, and most of them have been pretty good. I can't really describe why I find his stories and style so compelling, or even what is the deal with this podcast. Somehow the name and the picture of a mangy three-legged dog* seem really apt, though.

* Which is actually just a wet four-legged dog, but whatever.

I started listening to You must remember this which is a podcast about the history of Hollywood. Currently it is covering Charles Manson and his family which is a part of history I was aware of without actually knowing anything. Before that it covered hollywood stars during the war, the one I listened looked at John Wayne and why he never actually joined the army in spite of him playing the exact kind of person who would.

Also people looking for a ridiculous and fun improv podcast should check out Womp it out which is a spin-off of comdey bang bang hosted by former CBB intern Marissa Wompler (Jessica St clair) and her teacher (Lenna Preham). It started a couple months ago and the two hosts are great as are the guests they have had on so far. This week episode opened with her singing about stuffing a pizza in her vagina and having it filled with a dick covered in cream cheese.

Thanks for listening folks, hope you enjoyed it. 

Also love the sound of You Must Remember This, will definitely be checking that out, cheers for the tip! 

Read on the av club that Paul F Thomkins is no longer doing the dead authors podcast. Not sure if that means it's finished or someone(s) else will replace him. 

The latest episode of MBMBAM is possibly the best one that they've ever done, more so even than the one with the "Jimmy Buffett or Kenny Chesney" contest or the one with Travis' rant about Mango. They just let the pre-roll go for about twenty minutes, realize they're never going to get to questions, and so just keep going, making fun of each other's life decisions. My face seriously hurts from the smile that I've had this past hour.

The latest episode of MBMBAM is possibly the best one that they've ever done, more so even than the one with the "Jimmy Buffett or Kenny Chesney" contest or the one with Travis' rant about Mango. They just let the pre-roll go for about twenty minutes, realize they're never going to get to questions, and so just keep going, making fun of each other's life decisions. My face seriously hurts from the smile that I've had this past hour.

For real though the girlfriend on her birthday blindfold surprise killed me.

...more so even than the one with the "Jimmy Buffett or Kenny Chesney" contest...

Oh god, finding out "boat drinks" was a real song was icing on the cake. That must have been the best part so far, I was just laughing terribly out loud.

Haven't heard the newest episode IT HAD BETTER BE GOOD GORMONGOUS

Read on the av club that Paul F Thomkins is no longer doing the dead authors podcast. Not sure if that means it's finished or someone(s) else will replace him. 

There have been mentions for a bit that he's going to stop doing these in "the monthly format" after episode 50.  That sounded less like there'd be a new host and more like "we might do occasional one-offs".  But I really have no idea.

Speaking of Dead Authors, I finally got around to listening to the Mark Twain episode last night.  Oh dear.  Matt Gourley and PFT are really an incredible duo.  (Also, I can't believe that there is somehow now two podcast episodes featuring those two talking about Push, The Talking Trashcan.)

The latest episode of MBMBAM is possibly the best one that they've ever done, more so even than the one with the "Jimmy Buffett or Kenny Chesney" contest

Better than Boat Drinks? You've set my expectations pretty high.

Better than Boat Drinks? You've set my expectations pretty high.

Have you ever felt a twinge of regret whenever Travis or Griffin brings up one of Justin's many mistakes as a teenager and Justin succeeds in shutting it down? There is no such regret here, mon frere.

Also, since I got thinking about this, I also have to mention that I have a strange love for Pistol Shrimps Radio. 

Basically, the Pistol Shrimps are a basketball team in this LA recreational women's basketball league.  The league used to not have enough interest to operate, but a number of women in the LA comedy scene basically drummed up enough interest to get it running.  Gourley and McConville record themselves doing play by play for the team's rec league games.  The good part is that they have the Sports Announcer voice down pat.  The bad part is that they know very little about the game of basketball, sports in general, and don't have even basic information about players on any team that's not the Pistol Shrimps.

The episodes are basically just an hour of Gourley and McConville bouncing off each other (and occasionally talking about Dire Straits) while making a poor attempt at doing commentary for rec league basketball games, but I really enjoy listening to it.  It's supremely dumb, but in the right way.

That MBMBAM episode sounds like exactly what I always wanted that show to be.  You've talked me into downloading my first episode since March of 2014 (according to my podcast tool). 

I'm listening to Bonfireside Chat - it's about Dark Souls. I had no idea you could plunge attack the Tauros Demon from the top of the tower. I've killed that guy like 10 times and never once even considered that.

Speaking of The Adventure Zone does anyone here follow other rpg tabletop game podcasts?

I came to this thread with this same question, I've been searching for more d&d podcasts to listen to, because The Adventure Zone has got me Super Into 5e now.  Like, to the point where I'm working on drafting up a campaign setting for the story universe of my webcomic for readers to download and play.

I've listened to a few other d&d podcasts (and in searching for more, discovered this weird pocket universe of 'actual play' podcasts, which I guess are just nerds recording their gaming sessions and putting them on the internet, as opposed to podcasts ABOUT tabletop gaming) and I think there's a reason why TAZ rocketed to the top of the itunes charts.  Podcasters that pay attention to production values are the exception more than the rule, it turns out. D:

I have no recommendations yet, but I'm going to be giving Nerd Poker and Harmontown a listen, as well as playing through the back episodes of the official D&D podcast that feature the Robot Chicken cast playing through a campaign, and I will report back with my results.

I come with a recommendation and a related request. I started listening to Backstory, which is a history podcast about a new topic of American history every week. They've done topics like rights battles, attitudes to the ideal body and Islam in America. They treat them pretty broadly and get lots of little interviews and segments. It reminds me that the most interesting way to view history is to examine the way a different world worked, which also challenges your assumptions about how the world always works.

Does anyone have any recommendations for similar podcasts that aren't American centric? Whether they're about history or just examining modern societies in an interesting way.

I come with a recommendation and a related request. I started listening to Backstory, which is a history podcast about a new topic of American history every week. They've done topics like rights battles, attitudes to the ideal body and Islam in America. They treat them pretty broadly and get lots of little interviews and segments. It reminds me that the most interesting way to view history is to examine the way a different world worked, which also challenges your assumptions about how the world always works.

Does anyone have any recommendations for similar podcasts that aren't American centric? Whether they're about history or just examining modern societies in an interesting way.

There has been an explosion of history podcasts in the last few  years. Search for the history of rome podcast on itunes and the related podcasts is a good place to start. In particular there has been a lot of history of x country podcasts starting up in the last couple years covering the topic in chronological order. There is a history of Japan and history of the Ottoman Empire that has a similar structure the ones you described with the focus being on certain topics as opposed to a chronological telling of the history.

State of the re:union is a podcast that just finished which focused on different parts/communities in the US. Very interesting looks at parts of the US you woudln't see in media.

Also the Newstalk radio show Talking history has a weekly podcast that covers a particular historical topic. In our time on BBC4 might be up your alley as well.

I came to this thread with this same question, I've been searching for more d&d podcasts to listen to, because The Adventure Zone has got me Super Into 5e now.  Like, to the point where I'm working on drafting up a campaign setting for the story universe of my webcomic for readers to download and play.

I've listened to a few other d&d podcasts (and in searching for more, discovered this weird pocket universe of 'actual play' podcasts, which I guess are just nerds recording their gaming sessions and putting them on the internet, as opposed to podcasts ABOUT tabletop gaming) and I think there's a reason why TAZ rocketed to the top of the itunes charts.  Podcasters that pay attention to production values are the exception more than the rule, it turns out. D:

I have no recommendations yet, but I'm going to be giving Nerd Poker and Harmontown a listen, as well as playing through the back episodes of the official D&D podcast that feature the Robot Chicken cast playing through a campaign, and I will report back with my results.

Harmontown only does rpg stuff for a portion of the time, though still entertaining.  Haven't listened regularly in a while, I miss when Kumail Nanjiani was regularly on it.

I'm listening to Bonfireside Chat - it's about Dark Souls. I had no idea you could plunge attack the Tauros Demon from the top of the tower. I've killed that guy like 10 times and never once even considered that.

Heh, that's funny. He even does the Asylum Demon thing of jumping up to smash you if you take too long.

Anyway, I like the Dark Souls season of that show. For Dark Souls II and Bloodborne it feels like they don't quite have enough to say to support the format of disecting the game into tiny parts and talking about them for that long. Partially because people had less time to think critically about them, but also because there's not as much in those games to support that level of scrutiny I think.

I'm sure it has been recommended on here before, but I feel like this week's episode of the Beastcast is a real standout. It hits being goofy and smart in a way that I've only heard the Idle Thumbs crew manage to be.

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/the-giant-beastcast-episode-07/1600-1280/

My two favorite bits were about popular writing trends and how they affect content in the age of the internet, and the bit about vaporwave in a larger, good conversation about sub-cultures.

Also: texticles.

I would like to report on my d&d podcast findings: the official d&d podcasts with the robot chicken writing staff are boring as shit and I gave up three episodes in.  For some reason I thought that Seth Green might be one of the players and I was very dismayed to discover that he was not, and also that it takes them maybe three minutes into the first episode to get to a dick joke.  Boring White Nerd Dudes Taking About They Dicks is basically my least favorite genre of podcast.

I re-listened to the first episode of Nerd Poker and it was funnier than I remember it being (one of them does a bit where they goof about fictional sponsors that's pretty great), and now that I am all het up about d&d, the actual gameplay parts of the episode are less boring.  Especially now that I've listened to some exceptionally awful d&d podcasts and know how deep and dark that particular pit is.

It's not exactly D&D, but I'll reiterate here that Campaign from the One Shot podcast folks (and One Shot, for that matter, which explores smaller tabletop games) is great. It's a Star Wars tabletop campaign run in the Edge of Empire system, and it's both funny and dramatic, in turns. Like it should be, I think!

It's not exactly D&D, but I'll reiterate here that Campaign from the One Shot podcast folks (and One Shot, for that matter, which explores smaller tabletop games) is great. It's a Star Wars tabletop campaign run in the Edge of Empire system, and it's both funny and dramatic, in turns. Like it should be, I think!

My friend keeps trying to get me to listen to that one, I guess I ought to give it a shot. I'll report back when I have.

Penny Arcade started off doing D&D podcasts with Wizards of the Coast at the launch of 4th edition, and has since evolved it into stage shows at PAX. Some of those videos can be quite entertaining if you want to see some high production quality adventures being run through (their DM is a full time DM for WotC so his shit always looks fantastic with great maps and miniatures).

I would like to report on my d&d podcast findings: the official d&d podcasts with the robot chicken writing staff are boring as shit and I gave up three episodes in.  For some reason I thought that Seth Green might be one of the players and I was very dismayed to discover that he was not, and also that it takes them maybe three minutes into the first episode to get to a dick joke.  Boring White Nerd Dudes Taking About They Dicks is basically my least favorite genre of podcast.

I re-listened to the first episode of Nerd Poker and it was funnier than I remember it being (one of them does a bit where they goof about fictional sponsors that's pretty great), and now that I am all het up about d&d, the actual gameplay parts of the episode are less boring.  Especially now that I've listened to some exceptionally awful d&d podcasts and know how deep and dark that particular pit is.

Someone recommended it here a couple weeks ago- and it's not D&D- but Friends at the Table is fantastic. It's done over Skype, so production is lacking sometimes, but the players and GM are great. I think part of it is that the game they're using (Dungeon World) seems more focused on letting people create and react to situations instead of looking up detailed rules.