Erkki

Other podcasts

I stopped listening to Adventure Zone a few episodes into their third quest-- mainly 'cause there was too much focus on appeasing twitter followers for me. I think it's an ingeniously kind gesture to include fans and their items in quests, but it started to feel like it was diverging from the natural awkward humour between the players to be inclusive...is there less of that as time goes on? I really like the show but that was a detractor for me.

Was the 3rd quest the Murder on the Rockport Limited? If so, Griffin names all (I think?) of the NPCs on the train with the exception of Tom Bodett after fans, but uses the same cast of 5-6 characters the entire time once they get on the train.

I expect him to name most of the NPCs after fans who tweet about the show going forward as well, so if that turns you off, it's probably safe to not go back to it.

Haha, poor Tom Bodett.

Since someone brought it up, why the hell does This American Life do so many reruns? It seems like in recent years they have made less content than ever. I would be happy if they didn't post reruns on their main site under the recent episodes because that's disingenuous. It makes sense to rerun when it has radio timeslots for broadcast, but why on the website? So then I have to check the date to make sure I haven't heard it before. Although that's now no longer a good indicator because they will rerun episodes with current timestamps just because they added a sentence somewhere in the podcast to upload it, so it becomes a new episode.

Since someone brought it up, why the hell does This American Life do so many reruns? It seems like in recent years they have made less content than ever. I would be happy if they didn't post reruns on their main site under the recent episodes because that's disingenuous. It makes sense to rerun when it has radio timeslots for broadcast, but why on the website? So then I have to check the date to make sure I haven't heard it before. Although that's now no longer a good indicator because they will rerun episodes with current timestamps just because they added a sentence somewhere in the podcast to upload it, so it becomes a new episode.

I only started listening to This American Life a couple of weeks ago, so I don't mind the reruns. Actually, I'm quite pleased with them because I assume that the producers have selected some of the more interesting episodes for that purpose, so - you know - less work for me. But you are right about it being hard to know which episode is a rerun and which is not. I listened to "Super", thought it was interesting, then searched for a list of "essential" This American Life episodes, and was surprised to see that episode on that rather old list.

Haha, funny you say that, because that episode was on in the car earlier today and while I like that episode too, it took me a little bit to realize I had already heard it. Which is why I just went here to whine.

Actually looking at the website, they have stopped putting reruns inside the radio archive section, so I think I missed the boat there.

Seconded on Mystery Show. I recommend the Britney Spears for the phone conversations if nothing else.

Yes! Starlee Kine seems to be incredibly talented at striking up interesting conversations with random people.

Like I started listening to Idle Thumbs because I heard an episode in the car with my boyfriend, specifically the episode with Jeff Green who I feel like is my internet dad and I have a lot of affection for him.  After hearing that episode, I immediately started listening to more, but if you go back to Idle Thumbs 1, it was totally different (and unappealing to me.) If I ever encounter anyone interested in starting Idle Thumbs, I always recommend starting with the most recent episodes, and not going back before the Kickstarter unless they're completionists, and if so, to do that last.

That's fascinating to me, because when I went back and listened I was amazed at how precisely they had nailed being exactly what Idle Thumbs is from the very start.

I think Sean's empathy has very much changed how the Thumbs become introspective about something, but not the arc of conversation. I also have trouble coming to grips with the fact that's 3/4 of the episodes now.

Speaking of The Adventure Zone does anyone here follow other rpg tabletop game podcasts?

Speaking of The Adventure Zone does anyone here follow other rpg tabletop game podcasts?

I listen to Friends At The Table, which has a bunch of folks from the Streamfriends twitch channel and is DM'd by Austin Walker. They just wrapped up their first campaign a few weeks ago and are about to start a new one, for which they've released an audio trailer.

Yeah, and the next episode will have a story that was already featured on the podcast Reply All. Meh. :/

I really enjoyed Episode 5 if the Beastcast. It was funny and interesting. I think they are finding their groove.

I'm going to recommend Crate & Crowbar again because it's really great. Latest episode had a pretty rad discussion of the new Batman game. Check it out!

Yeah, and the next episode will have a story that was already featured on the podcast Reply All. Meh. :/

Oh yeah, that's a bummer. Like I was going through Moth episodes and I noticed a handful of them, especially the good ones, I had heard on This American Life before.

Maybe they just have a hard time getting the research and recordings done for an original episode? I can't imagine the amount of interviews they tackle is easy, but it seems like they have a lot of staff to create a lot of stories.

Oh just heads up forum people, justice points had a snafu with domain registration so our site isn't 100% up at the moment, and so the new episode will be out next week. (Since I know not all of you are on Twitter)

I listen to Friends At The Table, which has a bunch of folks from the Streamfriends twitch channel and is DM'd by Austin Walker. They just wrapped up their first campaign a few weeks ago and are about to start a new one, for which they've released an audio trailer.

I just realized that I used to work with one of the hosts. Not sure if that will make it more fun or weird to listen to.

Can you supply us with a choice quote from the Lhubbardcast please?

"I DISPATCHED A LANDING PARTY OF GIRLS IN HOT PANTS AND HALTER TOPS...TO TAKE DOWN MENTAL HEALTH!"

For example.

EDIT: That just happened to be the line that was being said as I read your post.

"I DISPATCHED A LANDING PARTY OF GIRLS IN HOT PANTS AND HALTER TOPS...TO TAKE DOWN MENTAL HEALTH!"

For example.

EDIT: That just happened to be the line that was being said as I read your post.

That was also his plan for taking over Morocco and Rhodesia as well. Also the best thing about founding a religion is you don't have to pay your employees minimum wage.

Since everyone was so kind about the episode with Sean, there's a new ep of Checkpoints out: Web  RSS iTunes

My guest this episode is Meg Jayanth who was the lead writer on 80 Days. She was a total delight, I really enjoyed talking with her. I worried we went on about 80 Days a little too much but I really loved the game and was genuinely fascinated by the process. It just seems like a logistical nightmare to write and organise but all of it is invisible when you play. Listen, enjoy, tell your friends etc! Thanks!

Oh, I missed subscribing last time you posted and now you've come back and got the author of one of my GOTY's. Sweet!

Oh, I missed subscribing last time you posted and now you've come back and got the author of one of my GOTY's. Sweet!

Precisely this!

Also, seriously, thank you for having an easy to find RSS feed.  A big pet peeve of mine is when a podcast manages to hide (or not even have) just a generic feed.