Erkki

Other podcasts

Does anybody know about some upbeat/fun podcasts or audiodramas in podcast form? I just found out my iPod is too old to support Scribd audiobooks and I need something for my Holy Week trip to keep me sane.

I also got the Humble Comedy Bundle only to find out they are videos and not comedy CDs as I hoped. :^\

I literally just created an account to plug my own podcast which is admittedly a little bold but I am just keen for other people to hear it. Conceptually it's  something I would be completely into, and since Idle Thumbs is my favourite podcast, then maybe fans of that show would be fans of mine, right?

OK, here's the pitch:

CHECKPOINTS

This is a show about video games. The people who make them and the people who play them. Each episode, a guest on the show discusses the games that have shaped their lives: games that have forged friendships, games that have broadened horizons and games that have soothed wounds. Checkpoints!

I've only done 6 episodes so far, but I've got great feedback from the listeners I have and all the guests have been great. The latest episode is with Iain who is one third of the popular music group CHVRCHES. The one thing I'm most happy with is how diverse everybody's histories have been. When I started I was worried everyone would have the same games as their checkpoints but it's fascinating to see the different games that hit people at different points. 

If you're interested, you can listen to it in all of these ways:

Web:    declandineen.com/checkpoints

RSS:    feeds.feedburner.com/checkpoints-declandineen

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/checkpoints-declan-dineen/id961200224

Thanks so much!

Okay I am done with Bunker Buddies. This is some kind of braggy apocalypse show yet no one on the fucking thing can properly say "nuclear."

(Apologies for not being able to find the clip from the earlier Simpsons episode that did this much better.)

Okay I am done with Bunker Buddies. This is some kind of braggy apocalypse show yet no one on the fucking thing can properly say "nuclear."

They push it so hard on My Brother, My Brother, and Me, but I never bothered, because it sounds like a not-great idea for a podcast. That's too bad, anyway.

Andie does this incredibly obnoxious whiny valley girl shtick that I guess she thinks is hilarious and then casually talks about what she talks about in therapy and Travis has confirmed his role as the most boring brother with not having much momentum to carry the show beyond Andie's much stronger personality. I wanted to give it a shot because Travis is fine in everything else but I guess it's because he's always the straight man, which I suppose he still is here, but it's otherwise being carried by Andie, who I don't like at all. The episode where Sydnee appeared to talk about diseases and the plague seemed like she was trying really hard to be nice about the dumb questions.

And you're right, it's also a podcast with definite limitations in terms of subject and I already sort of feel like they are scraping since there's only so many times where the hosts can tell me how good they would be at using a particular tool or skill with no one around.

Started listening to Daft Souls on account of someone's recommendation on these boards...top notch.

And yea, Justice Points is great. I replaced Giantbomb with it in my weekly podcast rotation. Really enjoy the different perspective and I really like it also because its not a show that just seems to dump on games (i felt giantbomb was like that on the whole) but also gets passionate about the good parts / parts you guys like. 

From the Books thread, sounds cool:

I have been tearing through Paul F Thomkins comedy podcast - Dead authors. He plays H.G Wells who brings dead authors to our time and interview them and it is brilliant.

In particular Brendan Behan (possibly my favourite and not just cause I'm Irish), Charlotte bronte, Plato, Oscar Wilde, Rod Sterling and Anne Frank are incredibly funny to the point I was laughing out loud cycling down the road looking like bit of a weirdo judging by some of the looks I got.

They are surprisingly insightful (especially with the statue of limitations for murder having passed so they have no problem admitting to it)  either cause the people playing them seem to really have done their homework or are fans of the particular author which took a turn for the worst when Ben Schatz discovered what Roald Dahl said about the jews in an interview.

Thomkins H.G Wells is a delight and I am hoping for an episode where he is interviewed by his nemesis Jules Venn.

Also check out the Virginia woolf episode, and l ron hubbard...and phillip k dick/hunter s

Thompson episodes.

From the Books thread, sounds cool:

Just listened to the Ian Fleming episode where he declares himself god on earth, says the movies should just be someone reading his books, realises he might be a women and Wells calls him a raving lunatic and call James Bond a psychopath - priceless.

Also Walt Witman, William S Burroughs, Aesop, Gertrude Stein and the guy who wrote Don Quiote are also amazing. This is possibly the funniest podcast I have listened to and I am going to be really sad when I listen to them all although I might relisten to the Behan episode cause Behan was both so funny and kinda sad way I felt was very Irish.

I need to listen to Dead Authors. I know there was a recent episode with Andy Daly as L. Ron Hubbard and I can imagine that must be an amazing episode.

I need to listen to Dead Authors. I know there was a recent episode with Andy Daly as L. Ron Hubbard and I can imagine that must be an amazing episode.

Reading about that episode on the av clubs podmass was what got me to listen to the show. It's also going to be a two parter cause there is so much mad shit - real and made up to cover

I finally listened to Dead Authors to hear the L. Ron Hubbard episode, and it does not disappoint.  I do need to go back and listen to some of these.  I especially want to listen to that Ian Fleming episode, because Gourley's Fleming is pretty spectacular.

Also, at the end of the episode, I realized that Andy Daly was always perfect for playing L. Ron Hubbard, given how much time Hubbard spent out in international waters.

Just a heads up Thumbs, Danielle (and Patricia Hernandez!) are going to be next week's Justice Points. Listen to it on Tuesday when it comes out.

Have now listened to two episodes of it. Loved the insight into Life is Strange from a different perspective that I have never thought about. I actually like the dialogue a lot but mainly because I tend to find that teenagers talk in flim flam so it feels 'authentic'.

Do you wonder if the fact that you find Max drab and Chloe pretty cool might be anything to do with the fact that Ashly Burch just brings more to the table than Hannah Telle?

Chloe literally has better dialogue. Max's consistent internal monologue is really excessive and unnecessary, but overall Chloe has way more character. The voice acting isn't as much an impact. 

Sure, but Hannah Telle's delivery is leaden whereas Burch seems to really be going for it.

I gave The Way We Play a listen and I'm definitely gonna keep listening. It's an interesting format and I just love the Dutch accent. I've also given Justice Points and I basically just logged in after a month or so of inactivity to echo the positive vibes towards this podcast earlier in this thread. Some really, really interesting discussions going on in there. 

More video game podcasting: Patrick Klepek / Gita Jackson / Sam Phillips in an as-of-yet-unnamed thing. Extremely promising first 20 minutes (which is all I've heard so far)!

Seems like they're open to name suggestions. Names are hard and I can't come up with anything that isn't along the lines of "best cast" or "good pod" or something else Jake Rodkin would say.

I downloaded a solid rotation of MBMBAM, Sawbones, and Judge John Hodgman to play in the car during the road trip I'm on. My girlfriend isn't much of a podcast listener, but is really digging these three, especially Sawbones. It's really helping with the long stretches of driving.

Happy to see Patrick Klepek getting a podcast thing going. He's definitely one of my favorite people to hear discuss games, his Q&A podcast is pretty good, but I think he'll totally benefit from not being a lone voice.

I can't stop listening to Flip the Table lately. I have yet to hit a bad episode, even listening to them out of order, but I'd recommend starting with Lingo and G.I. Joe solely to understand the origins of the word "bance" and why they keep referring to one of the hosts as "Professor Laserbooks," respectively. I like the Battle of Wits at the end of each episode, particularly the variant where they take turns trying to guess the ridiculous Buy It Now prices of ebay items.

Here's a weird thing: http://trainhotdog.cool/

Jim Crawford, creator of Frog Fractions and co-host of Video Games Hot Dog, has started his own podcast, Train Hot Dog, and it is probably the strangest podcast I've ever heard. He records it while riding BART home after recording VGHD, and it sounds like it's recorded on a phone. I could only understand about half of the things he said because BART trains are loud, and the content of the show seems to consist entirely of Jim reading IMDB and wikipedia aloud and occasionally mumbling something about how this wasn't the page he was looking for.

I'm worried that jokes about things being Frog Fractions 2 are at risk of being played out, but of all the things that might be Frog Fractions 2, this is the most likely.

Also, it's a .cool

More video game podcasting: Patrick Klepek / Gita Jackson / Sam Phillips in an as-of-yet-unnamed thing. Extremely promising first 20 minutes (which is all I've heard so far)!

Seems like they're open to name suggestions. Names are hard and I can't come up with anything that isn't along the lines of "best cast" or "good pod" or something else Jake Rodkin would say.

I really enjoyed this one. As someone who is more interested in ambitious attempts and free games than $60 commercial games, this is a great thing for me to have available.

It's been a good week for game podcasts. I also just finished listening to episode 1 of the Beastcast and Austin Walker is a significant get.

Shoutout to Applecider for giving me a fascinating perspective on Sunset during the latest Justice Points. Playing from the point of a real housemaid would be more of a stealth game than many built for 'stealth' I guess, haha.